Soarin', Mission: Space, The Seas with Nemo.. will they ever be replaced?

Goofyernmost

I'd love for Mission:Space to get updated with some multiple scenarios, similar to Star Tours. It would give it a re-rideability factor and would increase ridership. Soarin' over the world is a good move, although I still think Soarin is the most overrated attraction on property.
I've never understood that last statement. When people say overrated, what do they mean? Do they mean that they don't like it? Or that having the audience fly over the screen as if in the scene, isn't unique? Or the fact that the line is never ending to experience it? It seems like it is anything but overrated to the majority of Epcot visitors.

I have known people that go to WDW just to ride Soarin. And they ride it as often as they can get on it. If they mean that it doesn't cause their adrenalin levels to jump to the sky, thank god, then I agree? However, all indications are that it is anything but overrated except to a few.

DisneyJunkie

Of your three choices (Soarin', Mission: Space, The Seas w/Nemo), we already know Soarin' is getting an update, and given how big a planet this is, it could very easily have interchangeable films playing all the time (in the same vein as Star Tours does now) covering various parts of the world. With Mission: Space, for the most part I think it could stay indefinitely as it is right now (one of the better rides in Epcot). We've seen changes already with The Seas, and I think although it COULD change again into some other theme, with the soon-coming Finding Dory movie, there won't be a need for some time.

Bairstow

Before I begin, I searched to see if there was a current thread to answer my specific question.. there was not.
Now, as always, I think about the current situation with Epcot and it's dedication to continue to change and evolve with the times as is the case for about every pavilion in it's present day form (if they're if considered pavilions anymore..) Universe of Energy, Wonders of Life, Horizons, World of Motion, Journey, the Living Seas, and (in some cases) the Land, and Communicore were all replaced in the 1990's with attractions within the pavilions that seemed to represent the technology and innovation of that time.
The replacement attractions we have in these buildings today hardly evoke Epcot's mission as stated on this forum repeatedly.

First of all, recognize that Epcot has no "mission", if it ever did.
For at least a decade, the theme of park has been science/culture-related infotainment in the very broadest sense. If Disney still pays any lip service to the original park mission statements from the 1980s it is for nostalgic and marketing reasons.
My question is: While we have Soarin', Mission: Space, and Nemo, will these attractions ever be replaced? If Epcot is all about change and improvement, is it possible that Mission: Space will have an expiration date?

You would think that these attractions would be replaced eventually, but eventually is a very long time when talking about Disney World generally, and EPCOT in particular. I wouldn't put money on any of those pavilions being updated, if only because we've seen with the Wonders of Life that Disney is perfectly content to shutter a pavilion permanently, or at least convert it to convention/special events space.
You can't disagree that it'd be ridiculous if The Living Seas had the Nemo overlay for another 20 years?!

That all depends how well Finding Dory does and how much merch they can move there.

Ellen (while that's the only change to original pavilions I can tolerate) can't possibly be going for another five years. It seems like the current attractions will NEVER have an expiration date. Epcot pavilions have poised themselves to be replaced or updated every decade or so. Eventually, Test Track 2.0 will have to be replaced by another version or even another ride. Soarin' while "cute" is really about the passion and wonder of the state of California, not the future.

Again, the Future World half of EPCOT is only themed to be vageuly-related to edutainment in some way.

If the Seas with Nemo were to ever receive sponsorship, they'd have to remove the overlay correct? I always assumed that Disney put in the Nemo overlay because United Technologies was no longer under contract. My fear is that too many young kids have become attached and expect to see it forever more. But, that simply isn't how Epcot works, or should work, rather.

I don't see why. Not unless changes to the ride were mandated by the sponsorship agreement.
They could just stick some decals on some of the signage, like they do for Sylvania at Small World at Disneyland.
However, it looks like the age of corporations sponsoring an attraction and being content with Disney just putting their name on the marquee has passed.

I have always been fascinated with this park. And even though I could spend every day there, I mostly just spend my days at Epcot reminiscing and reflecting on how this park is going absolutely nowhere. Rides that used to be 10-15 minutes long were worth the wait. Now, waiting 65-70 minutes for a 4 minute ride (if that) is just never worth my time. That's why I love Universe of Energy and Spaceship still (even if those two need a lot of help)
And just for kicks, while I love the occasional roller coaster or two...or three! Mission: Space makes me ill. and the tamer version just makes me claustrophobic. You can't expect Disney to keep this attraction around for the rest of Epcot's existence!?
Also, I'm aware that sponsorship plays a huge role in this.
Thanks and have a magical day!

While EPCOT is not the same park that opened in the '80s, Disney is still quite happy with it.
It's still the 5th most visited theme park in the world, bested only by Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, and the two Tokyo Disney parks, and its restaurants and bars generate a lot of welcome revenue for the company.

If guests are dissatisfied with the current direction of the park, it certainly isn't showing.

James122

've never understood that last statement. When people say overrated, what do they mean? Do they mean that they don't like it? Or that having the audience fly over the screen as if in the scene, isn't unique? Or the fact that the line is never ending to experience it? It seems like it is anything but overrated to the majority of Epcot visitors.

When I say it's overrated I just mean that while it is an enjoyable attraction, to me it isn't great enough to justify using a fastpass on it or waiting in the (usually) outrageously long standby lines. I may be also be a little biased because having seen the one at DCA attracts, it still amazes me that Soarin' at Epcot is the park's major draw (although I think this signifies a greater problem regarding lack of attractions at Epcot), where at at DCA it's overshadowed by the park's other attractions.

SMRT-1Michael

Original Poster
When I say it's overrated I just mean that while it is an enjoyable attraction, to me it isn't great enough to justify using a fastpass on it or waiting in the (usually) outrageously long standby lines. I may be also be a little biased because having seen the one at DCA attracts, it still amazes me that Soarin' at Epcot is the park's major draw (although I think this signifies a greater problem regarding lack of attractions at Epcot), where at at DCA it's overshadowed by the park's other attractions.

I couldn't agree more. It amazes me when people say attractions like Soarin saved the park from the early 2000s degradation of Epcot. I don't see what the huge deal is. I will never wait more than 30 minutes for it and I rarely if ever ride it. I usually go to the Land for the Living with the Land attraction, as I thoroughly enjoy it.

SMRT-1Michael

Original Poster
If guests are dissatisfied with the current direction of the park, it certainly isn't showing.

I still think Epcot's major popularity draws from World Showcase (which is why people keep returning). I know many, many people that walk straight passed Future World for the very reason that they find it wasteful of their time, which is heartbreaking.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

There is NOTHING, no attraction, no feature, landscape, show etc. at any park thats irreplaceable. ( Except Cindarellas castle) Disney has shown us that by taking away some really popular attractions/pieces of the parks in the past and we are never to see return no matter how much we gripe or complain or start write in campaigns. I guess it can be called progress, change, improvement, bottom dollar accounting, rider number crunching, whatever excuses they want, but theres nothing safe from the threat of being at some time lost and replaced. If the popularity drops and the expense of maintaining goes up enough it will be on the chopping block. Sadly, business is bottom line, theres no heart, no emotional attachment, no loyalty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom