Soarin 2.0

MickeyPeace

Original Poster
I just became aware that Edo World in Taiwan has a version of Soarin. Disney Imagineers created Soarin originally. Now Brogent Technologies and Vekoma Rides Manufacturing are knocking out a direct copy with additional movement.

http://www.vekoma.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=99&Itemid=57

I thought Soarin was unique to Disney.

My question is do Imagineers still create Disney rides? If Disney's most unique attractions are going to be plussed in other parks, imagineers need to start innovating again. Or start bringing in innovation from the likes of Vekoma.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Very interesting!

I'm not familiar with all the patents that were put on the Soarin ride system, but there are certainly some. And the original ride system was designed by WDI.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Doesn't one of the Busch Garden parks have a ride similar to Soarin', albeit on a more global scale?

Rob562

They get around the patent issue by making a change to the design. WDI designed the Soarin' ride system to load at floor-level. They did this to eliminate the need for stairs and ramps to load at multiple levels.

Vekoma just took the step backwards, and made a ride system that loads on multiple levels and then just pushes the ride vehicles straight outward toward the screen. (You can see the multiple levels in the upper-right photo on the linked page)

There are quite a few ride systems out there that Disney pioneered and then other companies copied but changed just enough to avoid patent-infringement issues.

-Rob

dreamscometrue

There are quite a few ride systems out there that Disney pioneered and then other companies copied

Good point. I'm quite sure that the idea of a tubular steel coaster track (Matterhorn Bobsleds) has perhaps been copied once or twice in the years since '59. :lookaroun

BenS

They get around the patent issue by making a change to the design. WDI designed the Soarin' ride system to load at floor-level. They did this to eliminate the need for stairs and ramps to load at multiple levels.

I recall hearing an interview about this. When Disney was designing Soarin' they found that loading at floor-level was critical because requiring people to climb stairs or ramps slowed load time significantly.

Anyone implementing this system will have to: A. Deal with slower load times, or B. create a complex queue that splits off into separate lines for every level.

HamTown

Doesn't one of the Busch Garden parks have a ride similar to Soarin', albeit on a more global scale?

Yes, Busch Gardens Williamsburg has "Europe in the Air". You take a flight over several famous spots in Europe. The only place I can ride it without getting woozy is directly in the center. Too far forward, everything gets blurry. Too far back, you can see outside the screen and the contrast of the movement and the black background is jarring.

I'll take Soarin' with its spots and hairs any day.

TalkingHead

Yes, Busch Gardens Williamsburg has "Europe in the Air". You take a flight over several famous spots in Europe. The only place I can ride it without getting woozy is directly in the center. Too far forward, everything gets blurry. Too far back, you can see outside the screen and the contrast of the movement and the black background is jarring.

I'll take Soarin' with its spots and hairs any day.

Sounds a little like the edge seats in Soarin' where your peripheral vision picks up the edge of the screen.

Did Knee

Sorry if I'm contributing to thread drift, but I've long thought that Disney is missing out on the true potential of this ride system. I do enjoy the various scenes in the current version, but I have always felt that a continuous shot with no scene cuts throughout the ride would maximize the realism and feeling of it. I know...they couldn't show all of California that way, but the visceral effect of the ride itself could be much more intense if the whole ride were one long shot. And while we are "plussing" it, why use reality for filming at all? What kind of story or flight could we go on if the film were all or in part done in CGI? I hear Disney bought a film company a few years ago that specializes in CGI..... :drevil:

lazyboy97o

Good point. I'm quite sure that the idea of a tubular steel coaster track (Matterhorn Bobsleds) has perhaps been copied once or twice in the years since '59. :lookaroun
Actually, the track design was developed by Arrow Dynamics for Disney. They also developed the system used for "it's a small world" and Pirates of the Caribbean. I think the first truly in-house ride system designs were the Omnimover and WEDway PeopleMover.

RSoxNo1

I was looking around the Vekoma site when word of the Tron attraction started circulating - I saw the same ride system, but it seems like these seats have a greater range of motion than the Soarin' seats.

T-1MILLION

Sorry if I'm contributing to thread drift, but I've long thought that Disney is missing out on the true potential of this ride system. I do enjoy the various scenes in the current version, but I have always felt that a continuous shot with no scene cuts throughout the ride would maximize the realism and feeling of it.

Simple Clouds on screen and LN2/fog haze instead of abrupt cuts would of done wonders.

StageFrenzy

Also looking around at the vekoma site the LSM Launch Coaster they have pictured looks like the Rock n' roller-coaster sister coaster.

MickeyPeace

Original Poster
Very interesting!

I'm not familiar with all the patents that were put on the Soarin ride system, but there are certainly some. And the original ride system was designed by WDI.

First off-Hello Steve, nice to meet you!

From what I understand, the Soarin-like ride in Busch Gardens Williamsburg is nothing like the ride system that Disney has. Its a theater that is raised and tilts with wind effects.

The Edo World ride system is nearly identical to Soarin but surpasses it in that in is able to move in even more directions. It also includes 4D wind effects and scents.

Here is a view of the flight. Notice that the soundtrack even evokes the Soarin theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe58DRWJCvc

According to Vekoma this attraction theoretically could be coming to a mall near you. (If your local mall has some millions to drop). Could this once innovative attraction become as common as the once innovative steel coaster?

If Soarin is Epcot's biggest draw what could be developed for the park to keep pushing the creativity factor? What could the next innovation be?

And does WDI still create attractions?

MickeyPeace

Original Poster
I recall hearing an interview about this. When Disney was designing Soarin' they found that loading at floor-level was critical because requiring people to climb stairs or ramps slowed load time significantly.

Anyone implementing this system will have to: A. Deal with slower load times, or B. create a complex queue that splits off into separate lines for every level.

My opinion is that entering at floor level had little to do with slow load times. Think of the amount of time you have to wait to board the attraction now. It consistently has the longest wait time in Epcot.

I think that the truth is that most Americans are not physically fit enough or driven enough to board any other way. They would complain and/or maybe avoid the attraction. My guess is that WDI knew that but of course couldn't say it.

As for the queue splitting off, Soarin at WDW has a queue that splits.

lazyboy97o

The Edo World ride system is nearly identical to Soarin but surpasses it in that in is able to move in even more directions. It also includes 4D wind effects and scents.
The Soarin' ride system includes wind and scents, and has since it was first opened in California.

Mansion Butler

Also looking around at the vekoma site the LSM Launch Coaster they have pictured looks like the Rock n' roller-coaster sister coaster.
I'm guessing you are unaware of this ride?
images

That's Xpress of Walibi World in Holland. Originally called Superman: The Ride. It is pretty much the exact same ride as RnR, just without the nifty WDI theming and Aerosmith music. I think it opened a year later.

By the way, I've ridden Rockin' with the lights on and music off. Let me tell you, that's a pretty boring coaster without the dark and black light effects and awesome music.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom