So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 20: The Final Frontier(Land) - An Invite Only All Stars Event!

monkey92514

(YES @monkey92514 I KNOW THE COLOR SCHEME IS DIFFERENT :p :p )
1674324339149.png

Outbound

As a last hurrah for Act One, both Team Chapek and Team Esiner did an outstanding job. Both really found their groove and came together -- as we enter the next phase of the season, I'm excited to see where the game goes!!

Team Chapek - Pandora: The World of Avatar

Starting off, I really appreciated the aside page on realism for this project. Realism has interestingly been one of Chapek's strongest focuses in all three rounds of the game -- from adapting to Space Frontierland into a Tokyo retheme, to creating a realistic yet still funny overlay in a joke project, and now paying special focus on the surrounding small-scaled charm of Disneyland when crafting a massive, IP-driven Avatar land. I agree that this focus is essential. Disneyland is a small park, and while sightlines can at times be seen all over, generally they are superbly handled to maximize immersion. Presenting the massive Matterhorn as a thematically-appropriate mountain within Pandora's landscape from the World of Avatar's vantage point is a small yet among my favorite of your team's changes. Its simple but so very effective.

Moving into attractions, Flight of the Banshee is an excellent e-ticket and thrilling roller-coaster for Disneyland Park, a park somewhat lacking in the thrilling coaster department. I loved the Planet Coaster concept art and the descriptions accompanying said renders gave this entire e-ticket an element of professionalism. My only worry -- and this is an incredibly minor aside -- is potential similarities not in attraction themselves, but in marketing for Flight of the Banshee vs Flight of Passage. Although you've outlined that this ride will become known for its physical thrills against Flight of Passages' awe-inspired thrills (to which I agree) the average park go-er might be confused by the rides' similar names and themes. Especially if Disney wanted to market the two separately. Perhaps a simple name change or shift from Avatar 1's jungle to a more distinct environment could help separate these attractions further?

Journey to the Cove is a lovely and beautiful attraction that mimics the now-defunct Submarine Voyage. I think this simple yet awe-inspiring journey would become a fan favorite. Last, for Way of the Tulkin it's always great to see a flat ride appearing in a modern Disney IP land. It builds on the kinetic energy of Flight of the Banshee excellently.

Huge fan of the quantity of shopping and dining opportunities. The concept art and menus are fantastic, but Talyor Swift Na'vi is definitely not (lol). But I'm quite a fan of how you've differentiated the shopping into quite a few great souvenir items, both on the high price range and the ridiculous price range (this is Disney... haha). Finally, the Entertainment page is one of my favorite pages of your project. Taking the time to include these smaller yet so important features for an immersive land is absolutely essential for selling to guests that you're truly in Pandora. And in Pandora you certainly are!!

This brings me to my only real critique of the project. Regarding the land's theme, I have mixed opinions. You mentioned the land being themed to the "Valley of Takraki", an uninhabited area to be explored in Avatar 3. Cool. Imagining the Takraki plays an essential element in Avatar 3, this is an interesting area to explore. My only question is... what's special about it?

I say this because Pandora is a massive world, with the Way of Water almost entirely focused on exploring the moon's unique and awe-inspiring oceans. With Animal Kingdom's Pandora, the first film's floating island jungle biome was explored in detail. In my opinion, I think largely reusing this biome is a missed opportunity. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the project, but my interpretation of the Takraki Valley was a largely first film Pandora, with a few sub-regions dedicated to the Way of Waters' oceanic ecosystem, and snowy mountains along the sides. While certainly interesting, I think this project could have been taken to an entirely different level if a). it focused on primarily the Way of Water + the mountains, or -- and more intriguing, for me -- b). it took the Valley of Takraki and made it something entirely new. What about a snowy Pandora? An icy valley built into the Xanadu mountains. Or a firey volcano built into said mountain range. I really enjoyed how you blended worldbuilding and realism to create the distinctive mountain range, but I wish more of this unique ecosystem and worldbuilding could be applied to the land itself. It could have elevated everything, that's already excellent, from the Flight of Banshee to its smaller atmospheric entertainment.

Again, I understand Avatar isn't the most straightforward IP to work with. The movies aren't easy to get into, and the prompt this round was a difficult one. So I have nothing but appreciation for what you've done with the concept and made your own. I just wish you could've gone a bit further, as some of your creative ideas are really wonderful.

Overall, this land really is excellent. You guys faced a few challenges this round but still turned in a fantastic project. This is definitely something to be proud of, and as Team Chapek advances into the second act of the game, I'm very much excited for its players' futures!

Team Eisner - Pandora: The World of Avatar

This project is amazing!!! Even from the presentation's intro videos and flipbook design, with ACE (Astro?)'s reoccurring gag / framing device alongside custom advertisements and well-organized text and reference photos resembling a theme park magazine. But this is just the frosting for the real heart of the project.

I'm a big fan of your focus on recreating Avatar from the Way of Water, even if, as a new release, this is far from the most comfortable of IPs. It'd be easy to replicate Pandora from the first Avatar, but as you've outlined in the introduction, realistically, this land would be built in response to the second film's release. Not only would audiences now be more interested in exploring the world of the second film, but giving this Avatar a more aquatic focus, it thematically separates itself from its Animal Kingdom variant. Yes, this could have been accomplished by implying changing the rides and activities without the entire theme, but imagine a Galaxy's Edge that's still Batuu but with different things to do. It doesn't take full advantage of a completely new theme and the land ecosystem.

To this end, I'm a huge fan of Celebration of the Sea. It fits perfectly into the main draw of the land, and while I could see superficial comparisons to Navi River Journey, I think its unique ride system, higher thrill status, and expansive ocean backdrop sets it far apart. A water ride for the water land is just a no-brainer. Txampy Tavern is a lovely table service spot just between the land's e-ticket and village walkthrough. Big props for the extensive menu! And just nearby, I love the addition of Metkayina Village. It's such a small and seemingly inconsequential addition that really develops high-concept lands such as these into something special.

Ocean Habitat Restorative Tour reminds me of classic Tomorrowland -- a simple omnimover attraction showcasing the wonders of our natural world paired with the science to explore it. Big Adventures Into Inner Space vibes, and for an area just between the two lands it blends the two excellently. I'm especially fond of the fact its placement is just at the old Submarine Lagoon, a sort of spiritual successor in style. Finally, Gathering of Voices is a lovely atmospheric show serving as a sort of lynchpin for the entire land's atmosphere and themes. It definitely captures the essence of Pandora and the "Way of Water" for the Avatar world.

I won't comment on these in too much depth, but the Monorail and Train Station updates are great balances to realistically blend these attractions into their surrounding environments while also not blocking potential sightlines. I also really enjoyed your shops and street activities throughout the land. A great care of thought was put into them, much like Galaxy's Edge. That said, for the scale of the land, I wish there were a few more small restaurants (like a Quick Service, Snack Stand, etc) and smaller shops (scattered throughout the village, for example). I'm not sure if this cuts it, particularly considering the scale of shopping and dining in the similarly-scaled Galaxy's Edge just across the park.

One final thing - I'm really liking your complete land map. The looping nature around the lagoon doesn't just make for scenic views, but I'd imagine would greatly help in managing foot traffic by reducing the bottleneck. The entire area fits like a glove into the rest of Disneyland Park. Overall, a fantastic project by Team Eisner! This is definitely your best work yet!!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Project Four: Synergy - The Musical
7ad4de6faa40e5ed.jpg

Musical projects are a tried and true staple of this game, and with no surprise we'll be incorporating one this season as well. There's a twist though. For this season, because of the insane focus on synergy and brand IP that Disney has been striving for, you can't just make a musical based on any movie or attraction. Oh no...that wouldn't be enough synergy. What were looking for, is a full blown Disney Theatricals Broadway musical based around a movie or TV show produced exclusively for Disney+.

@Tegan pilots a chicken has opened Walt's Vault and as a result has unleashed the Phantom Blot who has erased all the recognizable IPs that her team has to work with. This means that Tegan's team CANNOT use any Disney+ series based around Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, or Walt Disney Animation Studios. For the first of three rounds on your new teams before the merge, this will be a single elimination. All project leader positions have been reset and anyone can take on those roles again ONCE before the merge. Good luck teams, this project is due Friday, January 27th at 11:59PM Eastern.​

Shannoninthemagic

7ad4de6faa40e5ed.jpg

Musical projects are a tried and true staple of this game, and with no surprise we'll be incorporating one this season as well. There's a twist though. For this season, because of the insane focus on synergy and brand IP that Disney has been striving for, you can't just make a musical based on any movie or attraction. Oh no...that wouldn't be enough synergy. What were looking for, is a full blown Disney Theatricals Broadway musical based around a movie or TV show produced exclusively for Disney+.

@Tegan pilots a chicken has opened Walt's Vault and as a result has unleashed the Phantom Blot who has erased all the recognizable IPs that her team has to work with. This means that Tegan's team CANNOT use any Disney+ series based around Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, or Walt Disney Animation Studios. For the first of three rounds on your new teams before the merge, this will be a single elimination. All project leader positions have been reset and anyone can take on those roles again ONCE before the merge. Good luck teams, this project is due Friday, January 27th at 11:59PM Eastern.​
This project is right in my knowledge base

AceAstro

7ad4de6faa40e5ed.jpg

Damn, who could’ve seen this prompt coming :bookworm:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
It's with a heavy heart that we say goodbye to @TheSorcerersApprentice and @ThemeParkPriest eliminated in 14th place and 13th place respectively. With Priest in particular you had a really memorable run and I genuinely hope there's no hard feelings. SA keep up your hard work because you truly did have some wonderful ideas if you were more emmerged in the brainstorming.

Here is the full roster of swapped teams for easy reference.

Nu-Eisner
@monkey92514
@AceAstro
@Brer Panther
@Shannoninthemagic
@Tegan pilots a chicken
@Pi on my Cake

Nu-Chapek
@Disney Dad 3000
@spacemt354
@Lizzy May Bee
@Imagineer Brandon
@OSUPhantom
@PerGron

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom