So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
With all the talk about live action films I thought I would make a list on all the live action remakes, sequels, prequels, and new stories in the coming years!

• The Little Mermaid
  • Hercules
  • Peter Pan & Wendy
  • Cruella
  • The Jungle Book 2
  • Aladdin 2
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • Pinocchio
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • Bambi
  • Tangled
  • Lilo & Stitch (D+)
  • Godmothered (D+)
  • The Sword in the Stone (D+)
  • Robin Hood (D+)
  • Genies
  • Prince Charming
  • Rose Red
  • Rescue Rangers
  • Tink
  • Chernabog
Some of these were announced years ago so who knows what state they are in now but I'm pretty sure this is all of them. It doesn't look like Disney plans to stop live action movies anytime soon.
Also, am I the only one who thinks that the Haunted Mansion film would be better off as an original Disney+ series? Not only this could give Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor/whatever haunted house they're doing next a run for its money, but it's a better way to show the numerous storylines running through the Mansion. Plus, I think there's a way to connect the Anaheim (New Orleans) Mansion, the Paris (Thunder Mesa/Old West) Manor, and the Florida (Sleepy Hollow, New York) Mansion through one particular spiritual being that would work better in a TV series than a feature-length film...

spacemt354

Chili's
Also, am I the only one who thinks that the Haunted Mansion film would be better off as an original Disney+ series? Not only this could give Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor/whatever haunted house they're doing next a run for its money, but it's a better way to show the numerous storylines running through the Mansion. Plus, I think there's a way to connect the Anaheim (New Orleans) Mansion, the Paris (Thunder Mesa/Old West) Manor, and the Florida (Sleepy Hollow, New York) Mansion through one particular spiritual being that would work better in a TV series than a feature-length film...
I agree! A Haunted Mansion series akin to the Bates Motel format would work better imo than another film

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I've been in favor of Haunted Mansion as a mini-series for a while and would love this!

One change I'd go with personally, make it animated. Not a kids show (though its disney, family friendly still should be the goal), but still animated so you can get really trippy and colorful yet still dark and gloomy. Something super stylized at times. Get the guy who made Over the Garden Wall involved for that great melancholy, grim-grinning tone

DisneyManOne

Speechless itself isn't a bad song, imo. It's just that it clashed with everything Alan Menken, Howard Ashman, and Tim Rice wrote originally.

The Pasek-Paul-Menken collab actually made me nervous about the latter's collab with Lin-Manuel for The Little Mermaid live-action remake. I get why Disney wants to bring a modern sensibility in terms of the book and the score (and Lin sure does personify that modernity with In the Heights--my personal preference, by the way. Sorry Hamilfans--and Hamilton), but for me, the live-action Aladdin showed why due diligence is needed in terms of weaving in new threads of storyline into the existing one. A lot of you have echoed this sentiment: there should be new material to uncover in the story, yet there is still respect for the original existing material. Sure we got a This Is Me-esque (which is probably the reason why P&P got hired in the first place) Jasmine solo, but did that song serve the material as well as the other Jasmine songs (To Be Free, These Palace Walls, or even Call Me a Princess) did?

I'm still looking forward to the new live-action of LM, don't get me wrong. I just hope we don't get another Aladdin (2019) with this one. We are losing the gorgeous Broadway songs for it after all!

And I really hope Halle is being treated way better than John B. and Kelly Marie T. was in Star Wars.
For me, the reason why I can't stand Pasek and Paul is because of their style. When I listen to Dear Evan Hansen or The Greatest Showman, all I hear is bland, generic, Oscar-bait pop trite. Simplistic melody, generic uplifting lyrics, nothing remarkable or memorable about the lot of them. Plus, not helping matters is that they were written for characters who are...well, let's say, complete jerks. Evan Hansen was a manipulator who tried to blame everything on his mental problems; and P.T. Barnum in the context of The Greatest Showman was completely glorified, with all of his shady dealings completely glossed-over. And of course, they wrote the lyrics for La La Land, but even in that film, Ryan Gosling was not that nice a dude.

Speaking of which, with the latter, the reason why I say their work is generic Oscar-bait is because I think all the songs they wrote for that film were written in the hopes that at least one of them would walk away with a Best Original Song nomination. "The Greatest Show" is the generic "get hyped" song. "A Million Dreams" is the generic "I want" song (sung by a precocious child, no less!). "Rewrite the Stars" is the generic love song. "Never Enough" is the generic love lost song. And of course, "This is Me" is the generic empowerment song (like you said, @montydysquith-navarro, no wonder they were hired to do Jasmine's generic empowerment song). Let me tell you guys: Words cannot describe how happy I was to see them lose to "Remember Me".

I don't think we need to worry about the Little Mermaid remake, music-wise. Lin-Manuel Miranda is a thousand times the composer Pasek and Paul are. At the very least, the guy knows how to craft music that fits the plot and the character. We're gonna be in good hands.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
I've been in favor of Haunted Mansion as a mini-series for a while and would love this!

One change I'd go with personally, make it animated. Not a kids show (though its disney, family friendly still should be the goal), but still animated so you can get really trippy and colorful yet still dark and gloomy. Something super stylized at times. Get the guy who made Over the Garden Wall involved for that great melancholy, grim-grinning tone
I think Alex Hirsch would also be a good showrunner for a Haunted Mansion cartoon series, given his work for Gravity Falls. It would still have the light-hearted Davis humor but also Coats' darkness/spookiness (which would be important, given the Phantom Manor crossover in Season 2)!

For me, the reason why I can't stand Pasek and Paul is because of their style. When I listen to Dear Evan Hansen or The Greatest Showman, all I hear is bland, generic, Oscar-bait pop trite. Simplistic melody, generic uplifting lyrics, nothing remarkable or memorable about the lot of them.
I still maintain my position that Pasek and Paul's best work to date is not Dear Evan Hansen (especially with that problematic script), but Dogfight. The score may sound modern, but it at least stylistically matched the 1960s American folk/pop/rock music style. Reading that they're doing the music for the Snow White remake did not sit well with me. Can't they get at least Shaiman and Whitman (Mary Poppins Returns) for it so that it would stylistically match the original songs (if they do use them at some point)?

Last edited:

JokersWild

I think I’d rather live action, but oh boy is Pat McHale the best choice if it were to be animated. He has a really unique knack to be able to do weird that gets heavy when it needs to. Really, I just want him to do anything at this point.

DisneyManOne

I still maintain my position that Pasek and Paul's best work to date is not Dear Evan Hansen (especially with that problematic script), but Dogfight. The score may sound modern, but it at least stylistically matched the 1960s American folk/pop/rock music style. Reading that they're doing the music for the Snow White remake did not sit well with me. Can't they get at least Shaiman and Whitman (Mary Poppins Returns) for it so that it would stylistically match the original songs (if they do use them at some point)?
I agree. Their earliest work is easily their best. In addition to Dogfight, they also wrote the music for an adaptation of James and the Giant Peach, created exclusively for licensing and performing for children, which is pleasantly jazzy and upbeat. For me, I think it was with A Christmas Story that they started to lose their grip. I can't, for the life of me, remember a single song from that show -- it was that forgettable. And of course, its television adaptation didn't help much, either.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I think I’d rather live action, but oh boy is Pat McHale the best choice if it were to be animated. He has a really unique knack to be able to do weird that gets heavy when it needs to. Really, I just want him to do anything at this point.
Last I heard, Pat McHale was a writer for a stop motion non-Disney Pinnocchio movie by Del Toro. Which sounds like it could be astounding if it takes off! I do wish Pat could do more than one project a decade though lol

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I don't suppose any of our regulars are Charlie Kauffman fans who would be willing to do a podcast on "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" tonight? I just watched it last night and OMG I HAVE THOUGHTS!! @mickeyfan5534 @Outbound @spacemt354 @D Hindley @goofyyukyukyuk17 @AceAstro

Also for Outbound and Goofy, I need to know what out of Saturday or Sunday would work better for the podcast going over the last couple projects.

TwilightZone

Yoooo why didn't anyone tell me about big nose figment
EhGh2OnWkAAqm8e.png

I don't care if he has a big nose I now love him and he's my child

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom