So you always need to have your smart phone with you?

Skippy's Pal

Original Poster
A number of posters have remarked that when there have been issues with FP+, they have called up My Disney Experience on a smart phone to prove what the original reservation or whatever was. So is this basically saying that one always needs to have their smart phone with them now as back-up? I hate the thought of being tethered to the outside world while at the parks, and I hate the added worry about loss, damage, or water issues on wet rides. We're leaving for DisneyLAND in a couple of weeks, and I am so looking forward to experiencing that free from all the worries about bands, FP+, etc. Have no idea when we'll be ready to face the hassle of WDW now.

Tom

Beta Return
A number of posters have remarked that when there have been issues with FP+, they have called up My Disney Experience on a smart phone to prove what the original reservation or whatever was. So is this basically saying that one always needs to have their smart phone with them now as back-up? I hate the thought of being tethered to the outside world while at the parks, and I hate the added worry about loss, damage, or water issues on wet rides. We're leaving for DisneyLAND in a couple of weeks, and I am so looking forward to experiencing that free from all the worries about bands, FP+, etc. Have no idea when we'll be ready to face the hassle of WDW now.

Unfortunately, that's the way the world (and the World) is headed. The entire MM+ endeavor is designed around technology. And while every guest will be able to take advantage of the offerings, it will be drastically more convenient for guests with smart phones or devices.

Without the device, you would need to visit one of the MM+ kiosks around the parks to pull up and view/add/modify your FP+ reservations. I'm not sure if the kiosks will also show you your dining reservations, or anything else related to your MDE account.

But yes, if you are trying to enter a ride's FP+ queue, and your band does not register when you scan it, the fastest way to prove you have a valid FP+ would be if you could show the CM your MDE account on your phone or device. I don't think they can access all of that data from the screens they have at the FP+ entries, but perhaps they can now.

docdebbi

you could print them out on your computer and carry the papers with you, but that is a lot harder than carrying your mobile device, and doesn't let you make adjustments on the fly.
we changed several fastpasses while in the park and it was actually easy. again, if you really object to the mobile device, you can use the kiosks.
but the question would be- why?

luv

You don't have to carry a phone. But if you want to be able to call for back-up in the event of a problem, then the phone is a good idea.

Although some people have had luck printing out papers and just bringing those, other people have said the staff told them they can't trust papers that could be faked.

You could just decide to do without the whole mess, too. :)

CP_alum08

I think this is my biggest issue with the whole idea; always needing a phone. While in the parks I do have a phone with me, but I rarely look at it and don't if I don't have to. Part of the magic for me is leaving reality at the gates and if I'm constantly having to use my phone that means I'm also constantly getting emails, texts, updates, etc. that I don't want to be bothered with for the time that I am there.

I haven't used the new system yet so I don't have a hands on experience, just others reports but hopefully Disney can come to a happy medium where you don't HAVE to need your phone all day.

I think everyone needs to remember this is still Beta testing. This means disney is still working out the bugs of the system. Most smart phones have an airplane mode. :):)

Rob562

Many phones can keep wifi on when in airplane mode, so you can connect to the (still spotty) Disney wifi and use that to connect and use MDE, but keep external things like phone calls and texts from coming through. (Though I think iPhones use wifi for texts when cell service isn't available)

-Rob

dreamfinder

(Though I think iPhones use wifi for texts when cell service isn't available)

iPhones actually default to WiFi for any iMessage and tries to send it in that manner before reverting to SMS. So if you have added the iCloud/iTunes account to someone's contact information, iOS devices will try to send it as an iMessage instead of SMS.

ABQ

I know it's been said by others on other threads, buy yourself a refurbed or otherwise used Ipod Touch for 100 bucks or so, it's got wifi and further reaching uses that can be used post your trip but will give you all the connectivity for MDE during your trip while still allowing you to avoid carrying a phone and being connected too much to the outside world.

Redhawk

Good idea about carrying an iPod Touch if one really doesn't want to take their smartphone into the parks. One drawback is that it doesn't have a camera so you can't take a photo of your FPs to keep with you to prove you made them. Anecdotal evidence suggests CMs seem more inclined to believe these photos of the onsite kiosk screens than any sort of e-confirmation.

Of course, you could always take the photo with a separate camera you're carrying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom