So why weren't there many strollers back in the day?

Jedi Stitch

Technology is the first answer I think. Strollers were not made for easy collapsible yet, and the material was not super light weight and durable. The cost of one was conducive to bringing on a vacation. Rentals had not taken off yet. The parks were still an amusement park mentality, so bring your older kids that can ride the rides. Yes there is a level of obese going on today, and I do believe a certain amount of laziness. Get a stroller and now you can trek around the parks with all your stuff like a gypsy caravan.

crxbrett

I went in the 80s and 90s and, I can tell you that with my own eyes there were obese people. Heck I traveled with more than one in my family. Obese children were more rare but still there. Especially in the mid to late 90s, as time has gone on I've seen more obesity but it didn't just creep up since the 2000s. I saw this video and maybe your mind is skewed but I saw quite a few overweight people in that video. Some that I would label as obese.

Like I said, watch some of the videos on that channel. It's pretty obvious. And the amount of people overweight in the video I posted is rather small compared to today. If you count in that video I shared, there are roughly 100 people seen total. I saw 0 morbidly obese people, 2 obese people, and only 14 people who are overweight. And only 1 of those 16 overweight/obese people was a child. Way lower than what you would see now. Just look at a photo of crowds in 1990-1995 compared to a photo today and do a count. The obesity rate in America has grown nearly 5x what it was only 30 years ago. And now 63% are overweight. Only 39% were overweight in 1997. I would guess in 1990 it was probably only 35%. The numbers don't lie. There are more overweight and obese people today than there were 20+ years ago. Yes there were obese people in 1990, but it was few and far between (as I stated that number has grown 5x since '86). But it is an established epidemic that has sadly grown way out of control now in America.

But I digress, people do rely on the strollers way too much now. As you say, people either are underestimating their kid's own stamina or think the kids need to be wheeled around more than they actually do. The issue there is that contributes to the other issue of people being overweight.

The biggest reasons though are higher population, more crowds, bigger strollers, parents using them more than they should or when they don't have to.

The point about people taking their families at younger ages may also be very true and is a great one, too. Although my family took my siblings and I for a day at DL by the time we were 1, we didn't go to DW on a full blown Disney vacation until we were all over age 8. And like somone mentioned, the cost of a trip is so great now, people want to utilize those children under 3 tickets as much as they can. All of these factors have contributed to the over abundance of strollers.

correcaminos

Like I said, watch some of the videos on that channel. It's pretty obvious. And the amount of people overweight in the video I posted is rather small compared to today. If you count in that video I shared, there are roughly 100 people seen total. I saw 0 morbidly obese people, 2 obese people, and only 14 people who are overweight. And only 1 of those 16 overweight/obese people was a child. Way lower than what you would see now. Just look at a photo of crowds in 1990-1995 compared to a photo today and do a count. The obesity rate in America has grown nearly 5x what it was only 30 years ago. And now 63% are overweight. Only 39% were overweight in 1997. I would guess in 1990 it was probably only 35%. The numbers don't lie. There are more overweight and obese people today than there were 20+ years ago. Yes there were obese people in 1990, but it was few and far between (as I stated that number has grown 5x since '86). But it is an established epidemic that has sadly grown way out of control now in America.

But I digress, people do rely on the strollers way too much now. As you say, people either are underestimating their kid's own stamina or think the kids need to be wheeled around more than they actually do. The issue there is that contributes to the other issue of people being overweight.

The biggest reasons though are higher population, more crowds, bigger strollers, parents using them more than they should or when they don't have to.

The point about people taking their families at younger ages may also be very true and is a great one, too. Although my family took my siblings and I for a day at DL by the time we were 1, we didn't go to DW on a full blown Disney vacation until we were all over age 8. And like somone mentioned, the cost of a trip is so great now, people want to utilize those children under 3 tickets as much as they can. All of these factors have contributed to the over abundance of strollers.

Like I said - I was there in person. It's not more obvious. Maybe my idea of overweight and obese is different than yours which is why I say this. I traveled with obese grandparents though. My mother was obese as well in many of our trips (though not the early ones) and same with my father depending on the year (he's in great shape now though). I've also been both obese and now average weight for my small frame. So I even notice things like health and bodies more than some.

Again photos/videos mean nothing to me as I was actually there and regularly since we started going in the 80s. Snap judgments based on pics and videos means nothing to me.

Yes we're more overweight now than maybe my first trip in the early 80s, definitely NOT in the 90s though and it wasn't just in the last decade or more that this *slow* change has happened, but I find it silly that you are using this as your arguments for strollers when IMO they have really little to do with each other. Other factors you even mentioned go into it more IMO.

Lets Respect

I see a relationship between strollers and adults obsessed with carrying water bottles around all day. I mean, sure, if you're a construction worker or something working outside in the heat, yes, you need access to water bottle with a nipple on it at all times. But the rest of us are not on the brink of devastating dehydration. How did adults survive before all of these water bottles?

I agree that the prevalence of strollers is related to packing for a park day like they are going on an expedition up the real Everest. The strollers enable people to overpack.

Could have something to do with the prices too. When you pay so much for tickets, you need to feel like you got the value out of them. And if wheeling a typical 8-year-old in a jogging stroller helps someone do that, they are doing to do it

Rista1313

Back then life was different. For one thing we didn't bring kids to theme parks until they were old enough to walk, use the bathroom, eat regular food and communicate with words. It was almost never even considered. My wife and I set an age of at least 6 years old. Mine were 6 and 9 when we went. They had strollers for rent back then, but, as I say the times were different and my kids would have been insulted if we had suggested a stroller. They did not consider themselves babies. There weren't any scooters because they basically hadn't been invented yet. Can't use what doesn't exist and there probably were fewer "obese" people because we didn't ride in strollers until we were teens. And without the scooter they just couldn't negotiate the parks as well. It was then, as it is now, a hell of a lot of walking. People with real problems in mobility simply stayed home with a wonderfully full life of starring at four walls. They only consolation that any of them had was that someday, those that felt superior to those "fatty's" will be there as well. If not overweight then some other thing, arthritis, injuries, whatever will make them feel shamed when trying to enjoy life while others looked at them, snarl and uttered words like fat and lazy.

I sure hope we don't endure this in the parks.. taking my husband to the parks, he's disabled due to a back injury, and because we don't think he can do all that disney walking, (he will walk some) we are renting him a Scooter. He's a bit overweight, but not morbidly, but I am afraid of people saying nasty things just because they think he's using the scooter because he's lazy! Without the Scooter, Disney would not be an option for us. I wish people that think they know why someone is using a scooter would ask and not assume it's cuz we are overweight.

SteveAZee

I think there's also an issue for parents (and the cost of entry) wanting to get the 'biggest bang for the buck'. If your child tires out mid-day (as they do) and needs a nap, without a stroller it means heading back to the hotel/motel/wherever to let them rest and recuperate. If, instead, you let let them catch some sleep in the stroller while the parents do other things, then it feels like you're getting more of your money's worth.

graphite1326

I'm one of those parents that didn't take the kids until the youngest was 6 and oldest at 9. They went all day without a nap without a problem. The youngest usually fell asleep on the bus back to the resort. I asked my youngest now (26) if he remembers much and he says he doesn't remember anything even at 6. So you can argue if you want but for me it was a waste to take them at any younger age.

No stroller.

graphite1326

I sure hope we don't endure this in the parks.. taking my husband to the parks, he's disabled due to a back injury, and because we don't think he can do all that disney walking, (he will walk some) we are renting him a Scooter. He's a bit overweight, but not morbidly, but I am afraid of people saying nasty things just because they think he's using the scooter because he's lazy! Without the Scooter, Disney would not be an option for us. I wish people that think they know why someone is using a scooter would ask and not assume it's cuz we are overweight.
I have never felt this way or said anything to anyone about someone in a scooter. You just don't know. I have RA and am fine for now but some day you never know.

There was a guy on a bus who was apologizing for getting on first with his scooter and it was obvious he needed it.

Goofyernmost

Just tell him to ignore fools. Those that spend their time judging others are not worth a moment of anyone's attention. From one of Disney's Movies... A lot of people don't know what they don't know, therefore say and do some pretty dumb things.

ELG13

I'll say for us it's convenient. I know...lazy parents etc. I just get so nervous with the large crowds that one will get lost. I keep them close, hold their hands but I like having them in front where I can see them. We like to park it and round the area for a bit before we load back up. Also, like another poster said, we hold all of our crap in it. We bring a cooler to cut costs so it's nice having it with us. But I will be honest, it's all for our convenience. When the crowds are low, we barley use it. More of a traveling locker.

JD80

The crowds are heavier now. I personally would not be comfortable letting a 3-5 year old walk the whole day just for the fear of getting separated. I did the non-stroller thing a few years ago with a 3/4 year old. No thanks. Carried the kid all day.

Ted Daggett

Another reason for the additional scooters and wheelchairs today is probably due to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Now ramps for wheelchairs and scooters are required, and everyone needs to be able to get on all of the rides. Prior to this, there were probably a lot fewer attractions that could be accessed by a person in a wheelchair, so handicapped people would not attend the parks.

The addition of the ramps for the wheelchairs then made it easier for strollers to be used, thus increasing their use.

The strollers also provide a nice place for children to take a nap, instead of lugging them all the way back to the hotel to nap.
Plus, they are fun to push into slow people's ankles (jk).

Driver

I see a relationship between strollers and adults obsessed with carrying water bottles around all day. I mean, sure, if you're a construction worker or something working outside in the heat, yes, you need access to water bottle with a nipple on it at all times. But the rest of us are not on the brink of devastating dehydration. How did adults survive before all of these water bottles?

I agree that the prevalence of strollers is related to packing for a park day like they are going on an expedition up the real Everest. The strollers enable people to overpack.

Could have something to do with the prices too. When you pay so much for tickets, you need to feel like you got the value out of them. And if wheeling a typical 8-year-old in a jogging stroller helps someone do that, they are doing to do it
As far as water goes you bring up some good points. But I might add that back in the day (60's-70's) water bubbler, fountains, (whatever you call them where you are) were everywhere. Most public buildings had them (with built in coolers) however when contaminated water sources became common a lot of these things disappeared. And people don't like the taste of chlorinated water either. So welcome the age of designer bottled water. And by the way Evian is naive spelled backwards!! But even Disney doesn't have a lot of water fountains around, there are a few here and there but they are not plentiful like I'm speaking of 30-40 yrs.ago ( I'm showing my age). And to take it one step further the water coolers with 5 gl jugs on them have evolved into a similar unit with no jug but a filtration system that gets its source from the regular water plumbing in the building. Almost like we've gone full circle.

floridagirl57

I'll also add that my parents did not pack strollers to Disney and as a child I walked. My mom admitted that her and my dad didn't want to deal with a stroller all day, so I definitely think the argument that strollers are lightweight and more portable now has some merit. Overall though, Americans are just really lazy and its easier for a parent to push a kid all day then make the kid walk to keep up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom