So when people complain about the standard of food within the parks .........

WildcatDen

If I compare prices, Theme Park to Thrill Park, I do not think Disney is too out of line with Kings Island here in Ohio. In fact they are pretty comparable. As far as QS locations go, I do like that King's island has some local flavor with Skyline Chili, LaRosa's Pizza, and Tom & Chee. Most QS type meals go for close to $13. They also have a TS that is more like a QS themed to the Cincinnati Reds. A week ago, I got a Grilled Chicken Ceasar and a Side of Soft Pretzel sticks with Beer Cheese for $17. Really, really good. My wife and I split it. All in all, the food choices at King's Island are pretty good. I will add that I was not disappointed in the Disney offerings we had in May. Good for what it is and priced the same as the competition (for the most part). Now, Disney does not have an Ice Cream that can compare with Graeters. . .

tayl

We used to eat in park, but quickly got tired of paying the premium for food that tasted fine, but wasn't really adding to the experience. If we're at AK/HS/Epcot (parks with quick/easy parking lot access) we'll typically just jump in the car and drive to all the restaurants on South Apopka Vineland. It's literally 10 minutes from Epcot to restaurant avenue. If we're at MK and don't want to deal with the process of getting to the car, we'll just snack on little things all day and then go out to dinner when we leave the park at night.

I got a little carried away looking at the map, but all of these are literally less than 15 minutes from Epcot parking lot (most around 10 minutes):

Joe's Crab Shack
Giordano's
Steak 'n Shake
Romano's Macaroni Grill
Chili's Grill & Bar
Pizza Hut
Miller's Ale House
Olive Garden
Denny's
IHOP
Subway
QDOBA
Burger King
McDonald's
Chevys
Fuddruckers
TGI Fridays
Buffalo Wild Wings
Uno Pizzeria & Grill
Taco Bell
Perkins
Red Lobster
Waffle House
Golden Corral
Bahama Breeze
Applebee's
Chick-fil-A
Wendy's

tpoly88

I think WDW's food is great. Normally we take our own lunch and snacks just for sake of cost, but when we've bought food it's been up to par or exceeding most fast-food quality. The Harbor House by Haunted Mansion is the place we go for good food at a lower price. :hungry:
my go to places are: Brown Derby, Jiko, Mexico (both restaurants are decent), Italy, Columbia harbor house, Yak and yeti (good burger believe it or not) and sometimes Citricos. I left off Cal Grill as i have had some bad meals there but not since the refurb.

Daveeeeed

Personally, I've had some of my favorite meals of all time at Disney parks. There are a lot of quick service options (and even table service, include Sci-Fi IMO) that are more like cafeterias than restaurants, but if you go to the right places you can find amazing food through the parks. The diversity in menu options is great as well.

To answer your question, I believe people are mostly referring to generic quick service options, and I can't disagree!
Agreed wholeheartedly!

QS (as a whole) sucks at WDW, especially when compared to DL. TS on the other hand (as a whole) is very good. Usually we eat at Columbia Harbor House, Casey’s Corner, the AK quick services, and the rest TS. Tutto Italia, Chefs De France, and Resort restaraunts are very very good.

Megamazing

In the Parks
Yes
Personally, some of the best food I've had has been at WDW. Not only is their food good, but in the "real world" most places do not go as above and beyond for people with allergies/restrictions as WDW does. (I don't have food allergies but I do have two digestive disorders, however I am a glutton for punishment so I just carry tums around LOL.)

We only had two bad experiences last time we went, both at EPCOT. We did a QS for lunch in the Land pavilion....some Asian food court style that was awful, and then Coral Reef for dinner. HOWEVER, we sat next to the tank and had the best waiter I've ever had (plus free dessert since it was our honeymoon) so we didn't mind too much. Other than that, everything we ate was great, and even Cosmic Ray's was good, although it was packed so the "condiment bar" was empty. Now we did eat at places like Narcoossee's, California Grill, etc, but we did a lot of our resorts food court and a good mix of TS and QS, since we did the dining plan. I would say the ONLY place we wouldn't go again is the food court in the Land pavilion...my husband doesn't like the sauce at Tony's but he's Italian and his mom is a great cook so he's biased. But I genuinely love WDW food (I mean come on, the turkey and stuffing at Liberty Tree??? SO GOOD.)

Of course when you do a lot of QS, burger and fry style joints, you might be disappointed. Especially depending on time of day/how busy it is, but isn't that kind of true for places like that anywhere?

The only time we ate off property was the first NFL game of the season, so we could watch the Patriots play, at Buffalo Wild Wings, with friends.

Phonedave

You have to try the Delmonico steaks at Arthur's...I think the closest one to you is in Morris Plains... Best French onion soup & chocolate mousse cake I've EVER had! I'll have a hot dog at Casey's, but it will NEVER be a ripper from Rutt's Hut!! LOL

Oddly enough, I don't like Casey's dogs. People make a big deal about 100% beef - but pork tastes good. (I sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'll never know)

I am not a fan of rippers either (or creamators for that matter) - I am OK with an in and outer.

-dave

Phonedave

1. I despise the term "foodie". It's stupid.

Finally, sombody who agrees with me.

We also just went to a TIW special event last week that was over the top fantastic. (Delicious Disney - Storytelling through food. Focus was The Little Mermaid. Chef was the executive chef of Flying Fish. Expensive, but we enjoyed ourselves & felt it was well worth the money & as good as the meal we had at V&A's a few years ago.)

Most of the "special" events - TiW, Seminars, etc. seem to be very good. Both in quality and value. I have done a few, but it is much harder to arrange when you live in NJ

Brits know their way around a proper hearty breakfast, good fish & chips, & the Sunday Roast. I think my husband & I shocked the agent by telling him what we really enjoyed instead of what we hated.).

I still cannot fathom fried bread, but to each their own. I have not been in England in over 20 years, but back then - Sandwitches. Awesome sandwatches, and apparently available everywhere you turned. Not Subway or Blimpie sandwitches, but watercress, branston pickle, hard boiled eggs, sprats, and a variety of other options, all on good bread - awesome sandwitches.

-dave

Fox&Hound

My cousin once tried to tell me that food at WDW wad awful. My wife and I looked at her like she was straight up crazy. When we started asking her about where she ate, it quickly became obvious that the only places she ate at were quick service locations. We told her about places like Ohana, Liberty Tree, Coral Reef, and Tusker House. The next time she went to WDW she finally realized how great the food can be at WDW :)

It's all about expectations. I know going to Disney (or a ballpark for that matter) than I am going to pay a premium on food and that the quality will be inconsistent. I have had some lousy meals at Disney and some superb ones. I live in an expensive city with lots of amazing restaurant options, so I am used to paying a premium for food when I dine out. On our last trip my favorite meals were at Disney Springs and at the resorts. The few meals we ate in the parks were fine, nothing special. I did my research in advance and looked at menus and prices (when available) and then set my expectations (and ADRs) accordingly. Go into it knowing that you're paying for the setting as much as the food, do your research on where you plan to eat, and you'll be less disappointed.

Animaniac93-98

The biggest problem right now is inconsistency. There's no reason why CS options at MK, DHS and Value/Moderate resort food courts have to be so bad compared with Epcot, AK or Disney Springs. Eating that junk 3-4 times a day makes me kind of sick. It's also worse than the fast food options back home.

Besides the difference in quality, I personally will spend more on TS options when at WDW because:
- I don't eat out much when I'm at home
- I like having a chance to sit down in an air conditioned space after being in the parks all day and someone else getting food for me
- The setting of most locations is 80% of their appeal, and what makes them "special" (Sci-Fi, Coral Reef, Sanna, CRT etc)
- I enjoy the social aspect of face character meals or places like Biergarten, 50s Prime Time and Teppan Edo

MissPixie

I really think people will complain about anything. Amusement park stand food is pretty much all the same. It comes from an outside vendor with the exception of those stands at Epcot World Showcase and possibly the ones at DHS leading up towards The Rock n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. It works exactly the same way at any Amusement Park with the Stand Food(Burgers, Hot Dogs, Fries, Etc you get.) As for the table service meals at Disney for the most part I think they are quality meals and the portions are quite a bit(at least for me).

seabreezept813

My cousin once tried to tell me that food at WDW wad awful. My wife and I looked at her like she was straight up crazy. When we started asking her about where she ate, it quickly became obvious that the only places she ate at were quick service locations. We told her about places like Ohana, Liberty Tree, Coral Reef, and Tusker House. The next time she went to WDW she finally realized how great the food can be at WDW :)

We've found a great variety with quick service. Knowing my husband cannot eat a cheeseburger or nuggets everyday, we used @lentesta guide and made a list of all the places with more unique food choices. I think if you plan ahead you can def make the most of the offerings.

Megamazing

In the Parks
Yes
It's all about expectations. I know going to Disney (or a ballpark for that matter) than I am going to pay a premium on food and that the quality will be inconsistent. I have had some lousy meals at Disney and some superb ones. I live in an expensive city with lots of amazing restaurant options, so I am used to paying a premium for food when I dine out. On our last trip my favorite meals were at Disney Springs and at the resorts. The few meals we ate in the parks were fine, nothing special. I did my research in advance and looked at menus and prices (when available) and then set my expectations (and ADRs) accordingly. Go into it knowing that you're paying for the setting as much as the food, do your research on where you plan to eat, and you'll be less disappointed.

That's a great point. I live in Boston, and in our area, there are plenty of restaurants that most people would find expensive, so we're used to paying a premium.

Tony the Tigger

That's a great point. I live in Boston, and in our area, there are plenty of restaurants that most people would find expensive, so we're used to paying a premium.

We just went to "the new" Cheers and paid $24 for a lobster roll. Of course, we expected tourist trap pricing, but enjoyed the experience. (We split it LOL.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom