So what's up with the muppets?

Crazy Harry

Original Poster
I heard a while ago that if the wizard of oz made for tv movie did well that we would see more of the muppets in the parks. Does anyone know how that movie did or if anything is being considered because anything with the muppets would be acceptable, for obvious reasons.

Connor002

Well, I don't think they'll be bringing back the muppets, with the exception of comercials and a rare tv appearance or made for tv movie.

Crazy Harry

Original Poster
Connor002 said:
Well, I don't think they'll be bringing back the muppets, with the exception of comercials and a rare tv appearance or made for tv movie.

If they were not going to make a full come back it would make little sense to purchase them just for occasional uses.

Connor002

Crazy Harry said:
If they were not going to make a full come back it would make little sense to purchase them just for occasional uses.

True, but I would never expect the muppet show to come back...
It would be great if it did, but unlikely.

Tigger1988

Connor002 said:

They had a newer muppet show on the disney channel in...98..99 maybe...it was actually pretty good, i'd love for them to do new ones again

Crazy Harry

Original Poster
Connor002 said:

Oh, ok, I see what you mean there. As far as that aspect I agree with you, I'm just hoping they have a greater impact on the parks. I like many of the ideas i have heard, including a muppet makeover for dreamworks at the imagination pavilion.

I would also personally love a fraggle rock dark ride at MGM. That would be amazing.

Connor002

I like the muppets but a big problem with them is the fact that they're oriented for the "hippie generation." I don't see Jim Henson's muppets returning as long as Disney is controling them, but i cna see them becoming a little more active.

FigmentJedi

Connor002 said:
I like the muppets but a big problem with them is the fact that they're oriented for the "hippie generation." .
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. The Muppets are timeless characters, problem is that in recent productions they've lost a bit of that by using more topical themes that are bound to age as time passes.

Chernabog

I personally love the muppets. Disney is interested in doing alot with them. They are re-releasing all of the muppet movies in widescreen dvd format with new special features, the just released the entire first season of the muppet show and are planning on doing the rest. While I personally love the old muppet show and the Muppets Tonight redo in the 90's I think Disney will avoid something like that because it's so hard to re-create effectivly. I think they will focus on smaller things for a while (commercials, statler & waldorf on movies.com, etc.) but focus mostly on more movies. Although if they're anything like Oz...the muppets will soon be doomed :( . That movie was absolutly awful and most muppet fans tend to agree from what I've read elsewhere.

I guess that's more than my two cents, sorry :eek:

tiggersmyguy

I recall reading an article about Disney and the Muppets about a year ago (Can't recall where tho..will research it). It stated that Disney had all intention to 're-introduce' the Muppets to the mass audience. However, they had a long range schedule in which they would be doing it so as to create longevity instead of a quick fad. The fact that the OZ movie was made, and the new addition of Muppet items to the Disney catalog seem to support that article. I am ALL for more Muppets at MGM..I always loved the small gift shop at the exit of the Muppets 3-D movie..I always buy something there.

Connor002

Tahu said:
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. The Muppets are timeless characters, problem is that in recent productions they've lost a bit of that by using more topical themes that are bound to age as time passes.

I dare to disagrre with you on that one. Regardless of what they've been in the last decade or two, you can not deny their past more adult themes. Jim Henson was a product of his times, and it is apparent in his work. The muppets will continue, but not all the Muppets, and not as Mr. Henson had made them, they have had to change to fit the times.

DisneyFreak529

I don't think the muppets are making a come back at all. The 3-D show is a little old & when we saw Miss Piggy at California Adventure she didn't have any one near her a all! I think we were the frist people in 10 minutes because she was really happy to see us. When we left she was still alone.

Yes I grew up with the muppets and I will always enjoy them, but they are getting a little old and I don't think the youth of today is really interested in them.

Tigger1988

DisneyFreak529 said:
I don't think the muppets are making a come back at all. The 3-D show is a little old & when we saw Miss Piggy at California Adventure she didn't have any one near her a all! I think we were the frist people in 10 minutes because she was really happy to see us. When we left she was still alone.

Yes I grew up with the muppets and I will always enjoy them, but they are getting a little old and I don't think the youth of today is really interested in them.

Well... that was California Adventure...which isn't known for its booming attendence :lol:

I believe Disney is slowly going to reintroduce the muppets to the kids of today...which is what they have been doing so far

Chernabog

The Muppets have always been a time centered group. However, I think this helps to make them timeless because they are capable of tackling any subject matter and are so versatile (when done correctly of course). Also, the muppets have not made a comeback yet. Disney is making a slow transition of them into the main stream. It will take a long time for people to recognize all the characters but I think it can happen.

And on a side note that could get me banned from the site.... I really liked California Adventure when I visited it and thought it was very well done :eek: :lookaroun

disneylands

Account Suspended
Connor002 said:
I like the muppets but a big problem with them is the fact that they're oriented for the "hippie generation." I don't see Jim Henson's muppets returning as long as Disney is controling them, but i cna see them becoming a little more active.

I agree with everything you said. However, think of everyone in generations following, 80's, 90. I doubt that there is one person in the US that would not be able to tell you who kermit the frog is. Maybe the fact that they are still recognizable and loveable will bring them around for more movies or television shows.

Also if you go on movies.com you will see Statler and Woldorf (the two old men sitting in the balcony) movie review section which (I believe) replaced the online Ebert and Roeper section on Movies.com (I know their still their on TV but are they still on the site?)!

So I guess we can only speculate to what the final destination of the muppets will be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom