So if you were there yesterday for the 50th, what did you think?

bdearl41

Sure it is. And the single most creative company in the world could figure out how to not "use it as an excuse"
Wait wait wait…you think Disney is the most creative company on earth?
one of them...lol maybe a little hyperbole was involved.
yea. All joking aside when they had Baxter, Rhode and others you’re absolutely correct. But as Bob said, the times they are a changing

danyoung56

Way back in 1996 Disney celebrated the MK's 25th. They made a big marketing push to get people there. Michael Eisner was speaking. Hillary Clinton was speaking. There was a 1076 piece marching band down Main Street. I made a real effort to be there to watch all the festivities. And I did watch all the festivities - from a video wall in Tomorrowland. Yep, I came halfway across the country to watch TV. I was so ticked off at Disney, and made a big complaint to Guest Services. They responded with a nice letter and some park passes, which was nice of them. But why in the world did they push me to be there live, only to not be allowed in to where the celebrities were? Very, very lame.

Seanual757

Did not go Friday but went Sunday I enjoyed the lower crowds plenty of merchandise to buy no wait to get into the Emporium to buy the merch. Average wait time was 25 min for Splash, 30 for 7DMT.

Grumpy06

I’m just confused about anyone who says they were disappointed. Were they expecting something more? Was something promised somewhere? Did the WDW web site promise special shows, speeches, characters, and then not delivered?

A lot of what I’m reading is coming off as “they owed me.”
I am sorry if I mislead you but never mentioned Disney owed us anything
we spent the week before the celebration in the world and there was never any mention in any of the parks as what was comming for the celebration how it would work or anything special. We asked numerous cast members and read numerous web sites including Disney’s with no mention of anything
we had a great time with short wait times on rides the whole week and when celebration day came the WIFI didn’t even work all day
just didn’t think it was very organized and the only thing special for the day was merchandise

Musical Mermaid

Does anyone have any thoughts on the new firework show?
I like the fireworks themselves, very pretty. The projections were very difficult to see. I couldn’t make out clearly the ones on the castle nor the ones on Main Street, but could’ve just been where I was standing. I was standing a bit in front of the flag pole area, but not quite to where I would’ve reached the buildings on Main St. “You are the Magic” is fine, very catchy song, but when it transitioned into the movie songs, it lost me. I thought the cover of “Almost There” was really bad and I didn’t dislike that song in the movie. I feel like Princess Tiana’s version is a lot more vibrant and energetic and this version sounded tired. I’m not sure how else I could describe it, but I didn’t like it, especially as an opener. There was too much focus on Moana. They have so many other movies, that they don’t have to use Moana twice, especially since she was already in HEA and is in Harmonious. I also don’t understand why the classics had to be instrumental, yet they sang the more modern movie songs. Maybe it would’ve worked better if they were all the same and if all the covers are going to be terrible, I’d prefer them go the instrumental route. There were also a lot of awkward pauses in the show.

I was honestly expecting more for a 50th anniversary firework show, like a celebration of Walt Disney World, Walt Disney, and Mickey Mouse. I’m not going to be one that stands there on Main St grumbling about it though. If others enjoy it, they can stand there among the crowds. I saw it once, which was enough for me and there are plenty of other things to do at the park that do appeal to me. In general, I don’t watch a ton of the castle firework shows because I don’t like being in a crowd with so many people. I haven’t seen Harmonious yet, so I don’t know how I’ll feel about it, but I do miss Illuminations.

Greenlawler

Original Poster
we spent the week before the celebration in the world and there was never any mention in any of the parks as what was comming for the celebration how it would work or anything special. We asked numerous cast members and read numerous web sites including Disney’s with no mention of anything
we had a great time with short wait times on rides the whole week and when celebration day came the WIFI didn’t even work all day
just didn’t think it was very organized and the only thing special for the day was merchandise

Exactly. Same here. The whole "they owe us something" never crossed my mind.

The word "owed" is just not right.

Last edited:

BrerJim

I wasn't there, but I was here in Ohio STARVING for details about how the 50th was celebrated. I searched many news and online sources and YouTube videos, all the while puzzled that I must be missing something. Now this thread confirms that the 50th wasn't close to what one would expect from the Magic of DIsney. Simple question: would Walt have approved???? Obviously not. There should have been a massive parade planned. Why were no Disney family members present? The post that described the new Enchantment fireworks from a live perspective confirmed what we saw on TV: the images projected on the castle were blurry and sometimes indistinguishable. The choice of music and characters was strange in a show that should have been a celebration of 50 years of magic. For goodness sakes, they don't even feature Sorcerer Mickey???? While looking for 50th anniversary vids on Disney+, I came across a video of the Illuminations fireworks at Disney Paris and watched it. The image projection, the vid and music choices, and the fireworks were all FAR superior. Another post made a great suggestion that some of the classic shows from the history of the park should have been featured. The full cast of character meet and greets should have flooded the streets.
I could go on and on, but suffice it to say, had I actually been there, I would have been terribly disappointed.

Last edited:

JamieLee18

Things that were supposed to be special, like the free photopass, I had no idea about, because they didn’t mention it in the guidemap or even hand out any slips of paper or anything mentioning it. It makes me upset that I have no special photos because of that and had I known, I would’ve lined up for some. Sending a notice only through the app is not the best way to deliver that information to all guests. I have a phone, the app rarely works as intended, and my internet connection wasn’t working the majority of the day, so I never got the notice. Why would I be motivated to get Genie, mobile order, etc. after their app performs horribly and they can’t even keep the internet working? Also, what about people who don’t have smartphones? People can access those photos at home on a computer, so they should’ve chosen more ways to deliver that information.

This is first I’m hearing of the free photopass, I would have loved that! 😢

Grumpy06

Yes we were there most of the day and supposedly it was sent to My Disney Experience except
Disney WiFi didn’t work all day so we didn’t know either,but if y were in a queue to buy merchandise
you new when it was your turn

Musical Mermaid

This is first I’m hearing of the free photopass, I would have loved that! 😢
Yeah, that is one of the things that disappointed me about the 50th. They didn’t even do an adequate job of communicating with guests who were there. My Disney Experience should not be the only means of delivering messages. It’s a nice gesture to give free photopass, but when you don’t do a good job getting that message out so that all guests there have the option of using it, it’s not much of a gift at all. I was there alone and would have loved getting so many photos without feeling like I was in the way of Photopass pictures or asking other guests to take mine. And as stated in so many other posts, their sorry wifi wasn’t working. 😢 How difficult would it have been to print that message in our exclusive map or hand out a different piece of paper? I miss the old times guide too, could have used that for all the different cavalcades, piano player, Dapper Dans...They mentioned the popcorn buckets in the map, which I wasn’t interested in at all.

With this large of a company, there should have been more done in the form of good PR. Instead, Disney got a lot of negative messages out that day.

spock8113

I was not there because my psychologist said it would scar me for life. Instead, I watched vloggers subject themselves to the lunacy.
What I laugh at is all the phones taking video of something people seem to think will be unique and collectible. My grandparents were at the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge, so what? Collectibles like the videos are exactly what Billy Joel says in the song "Souvenir"
A picture postcard A folded stub A program of the play File away your photographs Of your holiday
And your mementos Will turn to dust But that's the price you pay For every year's a souvenir That slowly fades away
Every year's a souvenir That slowly fades away

Next manufactured Disney "Anniversary"!!!!

FutureCEO

It's really sad that all the merchandise is selling as quickly as they can stock it.

Have you ever stopped and thought how bad for the environment with people buying all this stuff they probably will never ever use. If they do use it, it's probably one and done.

Jrb1979

I wasn't there, but I was here in Ohio STARVING for details about how the 50th was celebrated. I searched many news and online sources and YouTube videos, all the while puzzled that I must be missing something. Now this thread confirms that the 50th wasn't close to what one would expect from the Magic of DIsney. Simple question: would Walt have approved???? Obviously not. There should have been a massive parade planned. Why were no Disney family members present? The post that described the new Enchantment fireworks from a live perspective confirmed what we saw on TV: the images projected on the castle were blurry and sometimes indistinguishable. The choice of music and characters was strange in a show that should have been a celebration of 50 years of magic. For goodness sakes, they don't even feature Sorcerer Mickey???? While looking for 50th anniversary vids on Disney+, I came across a video of the Illuminations fireworks at Disney Paris and watched it. The image projection, the vid and music choices, and the fireworks were all FAR superior. Another post made a great suggestion that some of the classic shows from the history of the park should have been featured. The full cast of character meet and greets should have flooded the streets.
I could go on and on, but suffice it to say, had I actually been there, I would have been terribly disappointed.
Since you're from Ohio, I'm guessing you know Cedar Point was doing their 150th this year. When I see what they did for it and compare it to what Disney put out it's disappointing. Cedar Point had a night time parade, special food and drinks and a museum in the park to go over their history. I think that's what disappointed me the most is no mention of the history of the park. It's more about how much money can we get out of people with new merchandise.

BHF

Wait wait wait…you think Disney is the most creative company on earth?
Of course it is. Forget flying cars, robotics, life-saving medications, and advancements in computer technology that some of those bland companies create. Disney gave us Porgs, Stitch, and the easiest way to become bilingual when it comes to standing clear of doors.

mergatroid

Firstly sorry it wasn't what you expected. When you asked Disney if anything special was happening and they said no, why were you expecting something anyway? I think the plan originally was for Tron and GOTG to be opening but covid put a stop to that (or was used as an excuse depending on your viewpoint). We were booked to come in just over a week's time from the UK but as America's not letting us in still it's been cancelled for the second time.

Simba's Mom

Was anyone here at the 50th anniversary of Disney LAND? If you were, you'd see how poorly WDW was treated by comparison. At DL, they had a ceremony, including people who'd been at the original grand opening, Mickey and gang on-stage, etc. By comparison what did WDW get? Just 50th anniversary stuff to buy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom