So if Princess Leia...

drkokintz

Saw that Disney did have Han at SWW years ago. Saw it over at allears on the SW page. Could Disney bring him back please?

I have video of my nephew at a meet and greet near Star Tours with Luke, Leia and Han all at the same time. This was likely more than 10 years ago. It's funny, cause right after my nephew takes a pic with them, Han says to Luke (very in character) that something's up and they all need to run. They run off with blasters drawn and they're replaced with minor characters (stormtroopers, etc...). Those left in line were obviously very disappointed.

It's possible this was the first Star Wars weekend, but I honestly don't know. My nephew was about 11 and practically beside himself with happiness.

minniemickeyfan

I have video of my nephew at a meet and greet near Star Tours with Luke, Leia and Han all at the same time. This was likely more than 10 years ago. It's funny, cause right after my nephew takes a pic with them, Han says to Luke (very in character) that something's up and they all need to run. They run off with blasters drawn and they're replaced with minor characters (stormtroopers, etc...). Those left in line were obviously very disappointed.

It's possible this was the first Star Wars weekend, but I honestly don't know. My nephew was about 11 and practically beside himself with happiness.
That would be a lot of fun to see the 3 of them run off like that!

sgtmgd

Nothing offical.. :)
75.gif

lol thanks...thought I was slipping in my old age

luv

She is not a Disney princess!

I was a kid when this all started and I didn't like playing Princess Leia with the little toys. I wanted to be C-3PO, but the whole neighborhood was boys and they said I had to be Leia because I was the girl. Once in a while, I got to be R2-D2. One time, for a few seconds, I was chewbacca, but they got mad at my voice and took him back. (Boys are horrid.)

I thought Leia was extraordinarily boring.

Did other little girls like Leia best? Do they now?

eeyoremum

Original Poster
She is not a Disney princess!

I was a kid when this all started and I didn't like playing Princess Leia with the little toys. I wanted to be C-3PO, but the whole neighborhood was boys and they said I had to be Leia because I was the girl. Once in a while, I got to be R2-D2. One time, for a few seconds, I was chewbacca, but they got mad at my voice and took him back. (Boys are horrid.)

I thought Leia was extraordinarily boring.

Did other little girls like Leia best? Do they now?[/quote]
I am old enough to have played Star Wars on the play ground at school. We would argue over who got to play Princess Leia especially after Empire came out. It is not uncommon now a days for a strong female character but in the 70s there were not that many so to me Leia will always be a Princess (official or otherwise).

Plus, I really just want a Han Solo meet and greet. Really that`s all. ;)

disney fan 13

The novels are not canon. They are just an extension of the franchise. Lucas agreed to let writers 'play in his sandbox' so to speak but when Disney makes their sequels, they are not obligated to use anything from the EU and anything in those sequels would be official canon and trump anything in the books. They are glorified fan fiction. I have read the books when I was younger and enjoyed a few of them but I knew back then they were not 'what really happened.' If the reader enjoys those stories and wants to refer to them as canon, that's their perogative but in the grand scheme of things, the books are not in the same league as the movies. Same with video games and TV shows.

Anyway, Lucas was very strict with his property. The novels are apart of Lucasfilm, I believe. and therefore Disney does receive those stories in the deal. I could be wrong though because all this franchise/business stuff is very complicated. In the books, Han and Leia do get married so if you wanted to, you can consider Han a Disney prince....though it gets more complicated then that since Leia's kingdom had been destroyed a few years prior...ok, I am stopping now before my real geekiness starts to show, lol

And I mentioned this in another post, but I would say 'no' to Vanellope since she rejects her princess title and prefers, instead, the title of president.

Let's not go down this road...

FigmentJedi

The novels are not canon. They are just an extension of the franchise. Lucas agreed to let writers 'play in his sandbox' so to speak but when Disney makes their sequels, they are not obligated to use anything from the EU and anything in those sequels would be official canon and trump anything in the books. They are glorified fan fiction. I have read the books when I was younger and enjoyed a few of them but I knew back then they were not 'what really happened.' If the reader enjoys those stories and wants to refer to them as canon, that's their perogative but in the grand scheme of things, the books are not in the same league as the movies. Same with video games and TV shows.

They are canon. However, Star Wars operates on a tiered continuity. As long as it isn't contradicted by the movies and Clone Wars, it's canon.

Hell, George WANTS Disney to mine the EU for movie ideas after the new trilogy is done.

doctornick

I think it would be interesting if they might add Leia to typical princess situations (e.g. at Princess Fairytale Hall once it is built or at the character dining) for special occasions like maybe the Halloween or Christmas parties or as a lead in to Episode VII being released. Something in good spirits making fun of and embracing the "Leia is a Disney Princess" meme.

FettFan

They are canon. However, Star Wars operates on a tiered continuity. As long as it isn't contradicted by the movies and Clone Wars, it's canon.

Hell, George WANTS Disney to mine the EU for movie ideas after the new trilogy is done.

Yes. The post-Return of the Jedi novels ARE canon...George Lucas played with them himself.

Back when the prequel movies were in full swing, was right when the "New Jedi Order" storyline came out. Han and Leia had three kids: Jacen Solo, Jaina Solo, and Anakin Solo.

Anakin Solo was set up as the hero of the NJO books...He and Jacen represented two different Jedi philosophies. Anakin was the action hero while Jacen was content with whining and crying about how unfair life was.
The popular theory is that Lucas thought that Star Wars fans were too stupid to know the difference between Anakin Solo and Anakin Skywalker.

Then they made JACEN the hero, and used all of his whining to turn him into another boring sith lord in a move that was so totally stupid it makes Revenge of the Sith look like kriffin' Shakespeare. Once Anakin Solo died, so did the popularity of the books.

righttrack

While Leia would not be a WDW Princess like that, she still is a great role model for girls. I would like to see a M&G like they have for princesses. Also a Star Wars character meal. They could do this in Hollywood and Vine for Dinner easily. These kinds of changes don't require much and don't take away from the rest of WDW, and Fantasyland princesses. They could be working on this now, before the Spring high season, to let people know that they have their eye on Harry Potter.

Monkee Girl

While Leia would not be a WDW Princess like that, she still is a great role model for girls. I would like to see a M&G like they have for princesses. Also a Star Wars character meal. They could do this in Hollywood and Vine for Dinner easily. These kinds of changes don't require much and don't take away from the rest of WDW, and Fantasyland princesses. They could be working on this now, before the Spring high season, to let people know that they have their eye on Harry Potter.

I would definitely like to see them out other than just at Star Wars Weekends since I won't be able to go to them every year. My family trip is Easter so there is no way I can go again in May. I would love a Star Wars themed restaurant/character meal.

I did get to meet Leia last May when I went to Star Wars Weekend.

She was so pretty and sweet! She asked me about Pepe (my stuffed animal shown in my photo...I brought him as a gag and got his picture taken in front of all the Disney photo spots ala Travelocity gnome) and I told her he was a King Prawn. She then asked what system he came from and I told her he was from the coast of Spain...at least that is what it said in his book. She was surprised to hear he had a book and I said yes, he is a very famous prawn.

She then asked me about my pins (I don't collect pins but I did treat myself to some of the Star Wars ones, including the starter lanyard). I told her I normally was not a pin collector but had to buy the starter kit because there was a Luke pin and Luke was my favorite character. She said he was quite a favorite with the ladies and I said 'yes, he's very charming.' I had met him previously and OMG he was amazing. :D But that's a whole other story... Anyway...She chuckled and said that she would tell him I said that but then said she may not because she didn't want the flattery to go to his head . I said, no, we wouldn't want that.

After a quick hug, she told me to to have a wonderful day and I told her good luck with the rebellion. This was probably one of the best interactions with a character I have ever had. Leia is now a favorite of mine and I would be proud to call her a 'Disney Princess.'

righttrack

After a quick hug, she told me to to have a wonderful day and I told her good luck with the rebellion. This was probably one of the best interactions with a character I have ever had. Leia is now a favorite of mine and I would be proud to call her a 'Disney Princess.'

Wow, just Wow!!! I'm so glad she was so in character and so on. I am there. Not going to miss another Star Wars Weekend. Here's hoping soon everyday will be Star Wars Weekend!

Powerline

In Disney standards, Princess is more of a marketing title rather than an acknowledgement of royalty.

You could also be making a joke, which is okay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom