So how would WDW be without the coasters?

correcaminos

I'm OK with with allowing parks to specialize and not necessarily expecting every park to be the same. But it would be pretty cool to see Disney level theming with coasters that actually could hold their own if they were exposed parking lot coasters. Kind of like VelociCoaster and a lot of the European coasters.

As I said before, coasters just have a certain economic efficiency to them (something that makes Disney salivate at the mouth these days). You can use the mechanical control of Test Track, but you pay an arm and a leg for it. You might as well use the gravity that's given to you for free.
It would be kind of cool. Expedition Everest showed they can do it. RnR isn't horrible and at the time was kinda cool, but like many coasters I rode as a kid, as newer and better came, the old ones fell by the wayside. Even at Universal, the dueling coasters (however named) and the Hulk were not totally impressive to me though compared to CP.

I think that's an issue. It is hard to make a coaster that stands the test of time. CP tears and rebuilds often enough. If you add a theme it will take much longer. Should Disney focus on being top notch or themes? I'm not sure you can easily have both given the time it takes to build.

I am still impressed with Expedition Everest. We had a friend join us this trip - also fellow Ohioan - who knows what we have here. Even they thought EE ranked with some of the better CP or KI coasters.

dewardevi

Not just Disney, but pretty much all theme parks are becoming coaster parks. Basically, fans enter, ride the coasters several times and that’s about it for them. You gotta go bigger and better in the coaster department if you want them to keep them coming back. IMO it’s a shame, because Disney could be spending its parks budget on so much more interesting attractions.

tl77

ummmm? is this not a "roller-coaster" that Walt liked?

Shah-of-Iran-and-Walt-Disney-riding-a-bobseld-foto-Gifer-1.gif
85cdfea40dc0e92f50fd19d1749dd00a.jpg

Vinnie Mac

Even with the current coasters, WDW is living proof that you don't need to have neck snapping and heart-attack inducing roller coasters to be great. The highest rated and most attended theme park in the world doesn't rely on an abundance of thrill rides to be great. That should really tell you something. I prefer top tier theming and a mild experience rather than an intense experience with little to no theming at all.

Bairstow

Even with the current coasters, WDW is living proof that you don't need to have neck snapping and heart-attack inducing roller coasters to be great. The highest rated and most attended theme park in the world doesn't rely on an abundance of thrill rides to be great. That should really tell you something. I prefer top tier theming and a mild experience rather than an intense experience with little to no theming at all.
I feel like there's a hard to quantify, bare minimum amount of themeing a coaster should have to exist in a "theme park".

Rip Ride Rock-it? Not enough.
Goofy's Barnstormer? Not enough.
Dragon Challenge? Enough.
Velocicoaster? More than enough.

ArmoredRodent

With my kids (and even before), I loved coasters of all types, the bigger and faster the better. (I didn't love head-bangers, though.) Now, though, without the kids, we still go to the parks, and just don't ride the coasters, but we still enjoy the parks.

As to whether the parks would survive? I've never heard anyone say: "I'm not going to that park because they have coasters." I've never heard anyone say: "I'm not going to that park because they have dark rides." Look at the best and most exciting rides now: some are coasters (Velociraptor) but many of the top draws are not: Runaway Railroad, Ratatouille, RotR, Falcon, etc. But it's not an either-or, you can have both. Some people ride them, some do not, and the park as a whole benefits from appealing to both groups.

adimond

I like coasters, and Disney's coasters especially, but I would absolutely still go to a coaster-free WDW.

Apart from theming, one key way to give a coaster "more" is to build it within a naturally dramatic scenic backdrop, like on a hillside (in my personal recollection, Busch Gardens Williamsburg and particularly Dollywood are good about this). It then becomes a kinetic form of landscape architecture, a way of experiencing that space that you could never replicate in any other way or in any other place.

Central Florida doesn't really have topography, except to the extent that lagoons count (IoA's is a huge part of why both Hulk and Velocicoaster are great)...but that has its limitations, as lagoons are even flatter than parking lots. Disney gets around this by building their own "mountains," which we admire all the more for being manmade.

Space Mountain is only a mountain in a strange abstract sense, but even with half a century of obvious popularity as measured in wait time, it may be one of the more under-appreciated imagineering achievements, because it's such a simple and effective concept. And the whole package is so cool aesthetically. I'd still rather wait 40 minutes inside that building than anywhere else in town, except maybe Gringotts or Everest.

Big Thunder is great. I'd rather have the Western River Expedition, but BTMR is a heck of a lot better than the superfluous mine train in Fantasyland that people seem to want to waste an hour of their MK day waiting for. The way it relates to the Rivers of America is really well done and provides visual interest in both directions. Also I'm addicted to the hats-and-glasses spiel.

Yeah...7DMT I wanted to like, but I just don't get it. We'll see if the popularity lasts or if it's still just the newest thing that many visitors haven't done yet. I'm not rushing back into that line any time soon. The caverns have too much redundancy with BTMR. I do like the view of the movie's beloved cottage dancing scene in animatronic form. Still, Scary Adventures was better.

I haven't ridden the Toontown kiddie coaster in forever. Such attractions deliver a lousy return on your wait-time investment but have an important place as a rite of passage to initiate future coaster fiends.

Slinky Dog Dash, also a kiddie coaster, is surprisingly not bad, but it's another 5000-minute average wait...in a queue that can feel a bit Six-Flags-ish. I can get why Toy Story Land with its toy-scale conceit had to be kind of treeless theme-wise (and to a lesser extent Galaxy's Edge; why not set it on a forest planet?), but Studios badly needs more shade everywhere. This matters, especially in Florida. Lush foliage is a major advantage of AK, parts of MK, and several of the better WDW resorts. Brutal sunshine is also a reason EPCOT Center needed to rely on an abundance of long, slow indoor rides. Orlando needs to re-learn how to love those. Thrill rides are great, but they last 2 minutes and then it's back to hoofing it around a hot park.

RNRC still has that great launch, but for me the whole experience is more of a campy Y2K nostalgia play than anything: a happy era when I visited the parks a lot as a teen during the Millennium Celebration with my parents and sister.

Talking about Everest makes me feel like a bit of a party pooper. I know everyone loves it, but to me it's simultaneously both over- and under-done. Love the queue, love the rockwork, somehow want the coaster to be either more or less extreme. A working Yeti would go a long way, and so would some general plussing once you're actually on the ride. It all looks like a zillion dollars, and yet it bores me a bit. Most of the great weird little details are in the queue, not in and around the mountain itself like they are with Big Thunder. It's so much like a more sophisticated east coast version of the Matterhorn, only I'm not sure they really improved on the original that much.

The Dino-Rama coaster is valuable only as a reminder of why Space Mountain is brilliant and had to be created.

Even if EPCOT needed a roller coaster (I'd be fine without it, but I think it's a fair argument that every theme park ought to have at least one), it should have been in World Showcase which after 40 years is about to get its 3rd ride...not some superhero thing in a giant cube overshadowing Spaceship Earth. Yuck.

Coasters are one necessary ingredient to spice up a Disney theme park, but they can't and shouldn't be the whole point of a park in Orlando, the way they are at a pure "coaster collection" like Cedar Point.

As I mentioned, I love Hulk and Velocicoaster (as well as Gringotts and Hagrid), but I'm with the previous poster on Rip Ride Rock-It: that might be the worst coaster in town. Hate it. Hate everything about it, from the lack of theming to the uncomfortable 90-degree lift to the obnoxious soundtrack(s). Not sure I ever did the Woody Woodpecker kiddie coaster or Pteranodon Flyers. Sea World it's just been too long to remember.

Finally, I always assumed that teens and young adults were the target roller-coaster audience for primarily psychological reasons (thrill-seeking behavior being a hallmark of adolescence), but as I've grown into my late 30s, I've increasingly appreciated why else older people don't love them: I simply can't enjoy them as much physically. Every aspect of my constitution, from inner ear to flesh and bone, has gradually grown just a little less forgiving and a little more vulnerable to discomfort. (And it doesn't help if I was drinking around World Showcase the previous night!)

spock8113

It's not all about coasters, although I do wish you'd use one on my new cofefe table! Disney's Disneyland and the original E.P.C.O.T. contained no coasters except the Matterhorn because Disney didn't want to rely on coasters like the traditional Old Timee "Amusement" Park. Disney wanted rides but rides that taught you something while having "Affordable Family Fun." Being the adrenaline junkies we are and the need for "more intense" riding experiences, Disney's basic theme park is gradually morphing to change with the times, something many organizations and companies have much difficulty transitioning to.

NickMaio

As many of us know, when Walt created Disneyland he specifically wanted to exclude roller coasters in his park. He wanted something different and despite facing some pressure to build one he didn't right away. Then eventually he got convinced to build the Matterhorn in 1959 due to that same sort of pressure. He ended up being happy that he built it and the rest is history. Prior to that I don't think Disneyland had any sort of thrill rides that you would classify as thrill rides. Even then, the Matterhorn is relatively tame.

As time went on things changed. WDW opened and they actually had the first Space Mountain there in 1975. Followed by Thunder in 1980. If you want to count it, then Splash Mountain in 1992. Disneyland had Space (1977), Thunder (1979) and Splash (1989) built.

Then there were other rides added that have a rollercoaster feel such as Indy in Disneyland and Dinosaur in WDW. Rockin Roller Coaster comes to mind as well.

So my question is, how is WDW in your eyes without the roller coasters? Does it suffer from an attendance level when people compare thrill parks with it? Does it feel pressure to build more thrill rides? Would Walt have actually liked stuff like Space/Thunder?
We would love WDW without coasters.
Epcot was my favorite park growing up in the 80's. At that time it had no coasters at all.
We live how WDW tells a story more than ripping around loops and circles. Although coasters are fun.
We ride it all. When we can.

Chicken Guy

“… a Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ages can laugh and play and learn- together.” - Roy O. Disney, 1971

Anything with a height requirement gets in the way of that mission statement.

Trackmaster

I think that people are just thinking about this wrong. Disney doesn't do because they don't have to. They have the money to make innovative, expensive rides that the regional parks can only dream of. Roller coasters just provide a cost efficiency. They're not that expensive, but they're unbelievably fun. Flat rides are cheap as well, but they're absolutely terrible and most people won't ride them. Roller coasters fit that Goldilocks medium for the regional parks.

Yes, I'd love amazing coasters side by side the amazing dark rides, or amazing coasters with immersive theming, but I know that in this country it probably won't happen. I travel around going to parks across the country all the time. I'm fine with parks being niches and focusing on what they're best at and what the market forces dictate.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
We would love WDW without coasters.
Epcot was my favorite park growing up in the 80's. At that time it had no coasters at all.
We live how WDW tells a story more than ripping around loops and circles. Although coasters are fun.
We ride it all. When we can.

Good point. Epcot to this day doesn't really have a coaster. Test Track could count I guess. But we all enjoyed it didn't we? Still do. Epcot is definitely NOT about coasters or thrills.

“… a Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ages can laugh and play and learn- together.” - Roy O. Disney, 1971

Anything with a height requirement gets in the way of that mission statement.

The last two times we went our youngest couldn't go on Splash, Thunder or Space Mountain. We adjusted. 40" is not very tall, so basically you are talking about a 4 year old being able to get on them. But I agree, you don't want too many of those rides to have height requirements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom