So Comcast was the highest bidder for FOX, but FOX picked Disney instead...

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-fox-disney-comcast-20180419-story.html

>>
Comcast Corp. offered 21st Century Fox Inc. at least 16% more for a chunk of its assets than Walt Disney Co. did, though regulatory concerns ultimately led controlling stockholder Rupert Murdoch to accept the lower bid.

In a joint filing Wednesday with Disney in connection with their $52.4-billion deal, Murdoch's 21st Century Fox described months-long talks with a media group described as Party B but widely known to be Comcast. The filing said Party B offered Murdoch $34.41 a share for much of Fox's entertainment portfolio.<<

So Did FOX make the right decision?

Did the Universal Parks get the shaft? If they got the FOX rights, how much bigger would the Universal Parks division become?

Ismael Flores

out of the two I rather have Disney get FOX.

I never cared for Comcast, there is a reason why Comcast is in the list for the most hated company in The states

If i remember correctly Comcast, already owns 63% of Spectrum Co. as well. also didn't Spectrum and Time Warner merge?

Seems like Comcast already owns way to much TV and film content and have even tried to buy several of the phone companies or are in the process of doing it in pieces to curve around regulations

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
If i remember correctly Comcast, already owns 63% of Spectrum Co. as well. also didn't Spectrum and Time Warner merge?

Comcast owns nothing of Charter Communications, the owners of Spectrum.

In 2005, Comcast and Time Warner Cable did a trade, where each company traded some areas to more focus on current areas. (I was a Comcast Customer in 2005, and got switched to Time Warner)

https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/th...to-swap-assets-comcast-to-leave-dallas.30534/

Then Comcast attempted to buy Time Warner Cable a few years ago, but that deal fell through, and Charter bought Time Warner Cable. along with Bright House.

Charter then decided to bring all companies under the Spectrum name. So I am now a Spectrum customer, though my bill says Time Warner, since the distribution contract with the city of Anaheim is under that name).

So the current main Cable Companies are Comcast, Charter and . AT&T and Verizon also offer a fiber cable option, and then there are DirecTV (AT&T) and Dish as Satellite providers, and now the direct Internet providers, where Disney is entering as a major player.

Travel Junkie

The price is based on current stock price. I would bet on Disney stock outperforming Comcast stock in the future and I'm guessing Murdoch factored that into his decision too.

Would be really interesting creatively to see what Universal would have done with the Fox product.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Let's see, if this was me -

A. Choose a company that while gave a higher price has a real high potential due to overlap to get rejected by the DOJ/FCC, etc., or request too many assests be divested making it less attractive value wise overall with no breakup fee.

or

B. Choose a company that while gave a lower price has no real overlap that would be rejected by the DOJ/FCC, etc., and provides a breakup fee if the deal doesn't go through. And they sweetened the pot by agreeing to buy a foreign asset that I was already purchasing if it didn't get approved by foreign regulators.

Hmm, seems like a no-brainer to me. I'd go with B because either way I make money.

winstongator

In 2005, Comcast and Time Warner Cable did a trade, where each company traded some areas to more focus on current areas. (I was a Comcast Customer in 2005, and got switched to Time Warner)

https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/th...to-swap-assets-comcast-to-leave-dallas.30534/

Then Comcast attempted to buy Time Warner Cable a few years ago, but that deal fell through, and Charter bought Time Warner Cable. along with Bright House.

Charter then decided to bring all companies under the Spectrum name. So I am now a Spectrum customer, though my bill says Time Warner, since the distribution contract with the city of Anaheim is under that name).

So the current main Cable Companies are Comcast, Charter and ***. AT&T and Verizon also offer a fiber cable option, and then there are DirecTV (AT&T) and Dish as Satellite providers, and now the direct Internet providers, where Disney is entering as a major player.
When I talk 'cable' it is usually coax to the home. AT&T (all variants, VZN included) do either twisted-pair (old plain-old-telephone-system, POTS) or fiber. I've worked on electronics products for both cable and fiber networks. The big problem is that you usually have one good information pipe to your home, either coax or fiberoptic. I wonder if homes that have both end up with lower prices.

winstongator

The price is based on current stock price. I would bet on Disney stock outperforming Comcast stock in the future and I'm guessing Murdoch factored that into his decision too.

Would be really interesting creatively to see what Universal would have done with the Fox product.
Maybe they would have let Marvel slip east of the Mississippi.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
When I talk 'cable' it is usually coax to the home. AT&T (all variants, VZN included) do either twisted-pair (old plain-old-telephone-system, POTS) or fiber. I've worked on electronics products for both cable and fiber networks. The big problem is that you usually have one good information pipe to your home, either coax or fiberoptic. I wonder if homes that have both end up with lower prices.

I have access to Spectrum, and DirectNow (the new Fiber Optic option), and while the Direct sales force kept coming to my door shortly after they finished last year, they couldn't beat the total Time Warner Cable I got a few years ago, Signature at Home. The best part of Signature at Home, no long phone waits, as it used to go to a dedicated bank of experienced reps in San Diego (many worked out of their home), now I just automatically go to the front of the queue. Bundled Internet, 2 phone lines, and basic cable (no premium movie channels, which we don't watch).

Ismael Flores

So the current main Cable Companies are Comcast, Charter and ***. AT&T and Verizon also offer a fiber cable option, and then there are DirecTV (AT&T) and Dish as Satellite providers, and now the direct Internet providers, where Disney is entering as a major player.

Interesting i just Looked it up and comcast supposedly does own large amount of shares of Spectrum .

If that article is true then Comcast in some form does have some connection in Spectrum and therefore charter and time warner

With so many back and forth partial buyouts it seems like the line is getting blurred even more of how much each company owns

Ismael Flores

I just realized that I was reading the information from corporate comcast.com
But some how I ended up reading that information that is dated from 7 years ago

You are correct and Comcast did sell off their rights to the 63% of spectrum they owned.

Should have re-read the posted date

That still doesn’t change my mind, I hate Comcast
As a corporation. It is just to big and the fact that they the largest cable and network corporation and still trying to take more is not good.
The fact they also have been trying to control the wireless service to bundle with their cable makes it worse

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Well, with a judge saying no to the government and allowing the AT&T purchase, looks like Comcast will be making a huge all cash offer for FOX. It will be very interesting to follow the Comcast/Disney competition. Also, someone else.might want to bid....

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well, with a judge saying no to the government and allowing the AT&T purchase, looks like Comcast will be making a huge all cash offer for FOX. It will be very interesting to follow the Comcast/Disney competition. Also, someone else.might want to bid....

Murdochs still are the largest Fox shareholder and prefer a offer made of primarily stock for the tax benefit. I expect Disney to come back with a higher bid that uses cash to make up the difference. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end the price sits near $75 Billion.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
There are multiple items of interest. Comcast wants FOX's share of the European Sky service. They also really want the regional sports channels. Let Disney buy the Studio in a Stock trade. This way the Murdochs get Cash and a stock deal. There is a lot in play. Comcast can also structure their bid to reflect any loss in the tax benefits.

No idea who will win, and if the deal is split into segments. But everything is at play, including other suitors joining in.....

sirstude

As a Disney shareholder (1 share of Disney), you ought to see the packet I got yesterday on the stockholder meeting stuff for this. 1/2 inch thick book on this. Did not get a chance yesterday evening to look at it, but will take some time tonight I hope. Just for the interest since my one vote does not make any difference.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
As a Disney shareholder (1 share of Disney), you ought to see the packet I got yesterday on the stockholder meeting stuff for this. 1/2 inch thick book on this. Did not get a chance yesterday evening to look at it, but will take some time tonight I hope. Just for the interest since my one vote does not make any difference.

Thank you for doing that.

I have no skin in this game, but will be watching to see what happens.

The news channels are talking about the AT&T purchase, and how now any sort of media and product delivery service company is ripe for a merger. FOX might be a big one, but expect other companies to be looking for all of their opportunities.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Thank you for doing that.

I have no skin in this game, but will be watching to see what happens.

The news channels are talking about the AT&T purchase, and how now any sort of media and product delivery service company is ripe for a merger. FOX might be a big one, but expect other companies to be looking for all of their opportunities.

Correct, one that has been out there for a couple month is the proposed remerging of Viacom and CBS. Which is interesting as it was only 12 years ago they split. The split had an impact on the theme park business as CBS took the Paramount Parks division with it, which sold it off to Cedar Fair.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I just got my packet today, not sure why it took a day longer. Anyways, this merger prospectus is huge, its almost 400 pages.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom