So... Can anyone explain Flight Of Passage to me?

DisneyJoe

Really curious to see if anyone has gotten sick on this. I get motion sickness on pretty much every simulator (sometimes I even have to look at the wall on Soarin) and I somehow totally missed that Flight of Passage was a simulator. :/ I'm going to a preview tomorrow and now I'm not sure I want to spend my entire 2 hours in line. Anyone?
I've read a few reports of some getting motion sick

Pixie VaVoom

Really curious to see if anyone has gotten sick on this. I get motion sickness on pretty much every simulator (sometimes I even have to look at the wall on Soarin) and I somehow totally missed that Flight of Passage was a simulator. :/ I'm going to a preview tomorrow and now I'm not sure I want to spend my entire 2 hours in line. Anyone?

OK Vitani - so did you go through with it ??? As a vertigo sufferer, I would be interested in your impressions.

njDizFan

OK Vitani - so did you go through with it ??? As a vertigo sufferer, I would be interested in your impressions.
2nd vote to hear from @vitani88. Very much looking forward to this attraction but I will have to pass if it's anything like a Star Tours type simulator. I can do Soarin but that's about my limit

djdan888

Everyone who compares this ride to Soarin or calls it Soarin 2.0 or 3.0 is completely correct. You are in a multi-tiered theatre with sights and smells. It adds 3D and more extreme motion. The video is also tons better with no warping. I truly think they could have done without the 3D. To me, the effect is not very good. I just recently saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in 3D in a normal theatre and honestly, that 3D was way better. You do break away from your boarding area and move around. You fly in a fantasy land basically and the smells are amazing. The soundtrack is pretty epic as well and the water effects are also well done. Solid E ticket attraction but it is clearly based off Soarin and you really can't deny that.

rufio

2nd vote to hear from @vitani88. Very much looking forward to this attraction but I will have to pass if it's anything like a Star Tours type simulator. I can do Soarin but that's about my limit

I did NOT get sick AT ALL! It was incredible! I get nauseous on Soarin' even, but this one didn't make me sick even though I'd eaten an hour previous. Whatever witchcraft they worked on this ride is A+ and I hope future simulators are made this way.

muse1983

I'm curious if someone would mind elaborating on a couple of things. How exactly does the wall in front of you open up? Is it an obvious transition or is there some kind of Avatar "linking" effect and suddenly the wall is gone and you're immersed in the environment? Does the screen/dome encompass the entire field of view (not able to see the edges of the screen anywhere etc)?

djdan888

I'm curious if someone would mind elaborating on a couple of things. How exactly does the wall in front of you open up? Is it an obvious transition or is there some kind of Avatar "linking" effect and suddenly the wall is gone and you're immersed in the environment? Does the screen/dome encompass the entire field of view (not able to see the edges of the screen anywhere etc)?
The wall just opens up. When we say think Soarin, that is exactly what you need to think. The screen is just like Soarin's screen but maybe a bit bigger, and brighter. I don't think there is any warping either. You can still see the ends of the screen if you look around. if you keep your head focused straight ahead, you won't see it.

Retroman40

Rode at the preview yesterday and it was great. I purposely avoided all reviews and impressions of others since I wanted my first experience to really be totally new. Glad I did. My only advice to anyone is to just relax and immerse yourself and become a part of the ride just like you'd become one with the Avitar if you were riding with ACE on Pandora! I'd also recommend a beer over at the Satu'li Canteen AFTER you ride (if motion sickness is a concern).

Phonedave

Having experienced both including what you described at Disney Quest I don't think you have anything to worry about at all. On the DQ attraction, you had a VR headgear on that was 'sort of' synchronized with your motion but didn't do all that good a job. When your body doesn't feel the same thing your eyes are seeing at precisely the same time, that's what can trigger the motion sickness. With FoP there is nothing on your head but some lightweight 3D glasses and you're in an open air space and the motion and the movie a very tightly and accurately synchronized so you don't get that weird situation where the motion your eyes see doesn't exactly match what your body is experiencing.

Everyone who compares this ride to Soarin or calls it Soarin 2.0 or 3.0 is completely correct. You are in a multi-tiered theatre with sights and smells. It adds 3D and more extreme motion. The video is also tons better with no warping. I truly think they could have done without the 3D. To me, the effect is not very good. I just recently saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in 3D in a normal theatre and honestly, that 3D was way better. You do break away from your boarding area and move around. You fly in a fantasy land basically and the smells are amazing. The soundtrack is pretty epic as well and the water effects are also well done. Solid E ticket attraction but it is clearly based off Soarin and you really can't deny that.

While motion sickness is not an issue for me (out of synch video never bothered me either) I do wish they had not gone with 3D glasses. I have never been in a 3D glasses movie or ride where it actually looked good. Never. I have also never been able to do one of those magic eye poster things either. So, maybe it is just my eyes, but 3D does NOT work with me. I always see artifacts and misaligned objects in any 3D movie or ride.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom