Smoking Sections Bizzare At Disney

LAM378

But I noticed it said that you can't smoke on the balconies of the resort rooms. Does Disney actually enforce that? I would think it would be hard to detect and deal with. It's not like you're out in a public area like a theme park.

Like I say, just curious.

I know of a couple people who smoked away without penalty on their balconies at CR and WL. Neither one was caught or even knew it was against the rules until I told them so later. I’ve found makeshift ashtrays on balconies that housekeeping overlooked, also. The smoking policy is buried in the fine print, and a lot of people just don’t realize they’re doing something wrong.

Patcheslee

I know of a couple people who smoked away without penalty on their balconies at CR and WL. Neither one was caught or even knew it was against the rules until I told them so later. I’ve found makeshift ashtrays on balconies that housekeeping overlooked, also. The smoking policy is buried in the fine print, and a lot of people just don’t realize they’re doing something wrong.
Not hard to think of considering some hotels allow smoking on the balcony. We just stayed at great wolf lodge and even though the hotel was non-smoking there was an ashtray mounted to our porch wall. No fine print about not smoking on them. We still had someone complain the management when we pointed out the ashtray.

jaklgreen

Yes, but only if someone complains.
Not true. I had a neighbor that smoked out there constantly and I complained numerous times. They said that there was nothing they can do unless security actually catches them. And security is never in a rush to check it out. My neighbors actually had an ashtray sitting out and they still did nothing. Maybe different resorts handle it differently. The manager I spoke to was a smoker so I got the impression that he didn't care.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Not true. I had a neighbor that smoked out there constantly and I complained numerous times. They said that there was nothing they can do unless security actually catches them. And security is never in a rush to check it out. My neighbors actually had an ashtray sitting out and they still did nothing. Maybe different resorts handle it differently. The manager I spoke to was a smoker so I got the impression that he didn't care.
Not my experience. But like you said, different resorts, different managers....

StarWarsGirl

At Disneyland there fewer places by far and apparently for the Halloween Party, none. Its California, much stricter antismoking laws, maybe one day we will catch up.
California also has a huge pollution problem, more than any other state. It makes sense they minimize smoking, which would cause additional pollution.

Disneyland is also a much smaller park than WDW. Much easier to leave to take a smoking break rather than pollute the park. In WDW, unfortunately, people tend to light up wherever they feel like it.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
California also has a huge pollution problem, more than any other state. It makes sense they minimize smoking, which would cause additional pollution.

Disneyland is also a much smaller park than WDW. Much easier to leave to take a smoking break rather than pollute the park. In WDW, unfortunately, people tend to light up wherever they feel like it.
Actually its not really polluted as bad as many eastern states. LA has issues due to winds and how cnn it works as a valley, but they are at the forefront in terms of protections even against cancer causing products. And your kidding about the smoking adding to like overall air pollution right? I mean they haven't outlawed grills. Lol https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/top-20-most-polluted-states-in-the-us.html

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I should probably put my two cents in as a smoker. When we lived in the area, we constantly were at the parks and at Disney Springs several nights a week. In some parks within a few days of visiting, the DSAs had changed with no reflection to the changes on the maps. The CMs never had a clue where they had been moved to. Once you found them they were never properly marked with any sort of a sign. I will say at least there were a few of them around the parks. We always ran into the same issues while visiting or dining t the resorts. Recently we have noticed the same issues, except there are far fewer DSAs at the parks and resorts. This makes them much more crowded. Big deal if we have to stand with a bunch of other smokers, but I really don't want to smoke around their children. There are always tons of kids and strollers in the DSAs. When Disney Springs had open smoking we always did our best to move out of the way to smoke where we wouldn't offend anyone, especially children. While I do think Disney could handle the DSAs better, people bringing their children when they smoke is what really gets me bothered.

StarWarsGirl

Actually its not really polluted as bad as many eastern states. LA has issues due to winds and how cnn it works as a valley, but they are at the forefront in terms of protections even against cancer causing products. And your kidding about the smoking adding to like overall air pollution right? I mean they haven't outlawed grills. Lol https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/top-20-most-polluted-states-in-the-us.html
Los Angeles remains the most polluted city in the United States. And no, actually, some studies suggest that smoking actually is worse than exhaust for air pollution: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20040823/smoking-worse-than-exhaust-for-air-pollution#1

And finally, California does regulate grills. You cannot grill on the deck of an apartment or condominium due to fire safety concerns. https://www.mercurynews.com/2008/06/02/renters-have-beef-with-bbq-ban/ And during wildfire season, it would be extremely irresponsible to use an outdoor grill anyway. Disney cannot do fireworks on some nights because of the wildfire risk as well.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Los Angeles remains the most polluted city in the United States. And no, actually, some studies suggest that smoking actually is worse than exhaust for air pollution: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20040823/smoking-worse-than-exhaust-for-air-pollution#1

And finally, California does regulate grills. You cannot grill on the deck of an apartment or condominium due to fire safety concerns. https://www.mercurynews.com/2008/06/02/renters-have-beef-with-bbq-ban/ And during wildfire season, it would be extremely irresponsible to use an outdoor grill anyway. Disney cannot do fireworks on some nights because of the wildfire risk as well.
We are discussing pollution and your discussing fire hazards. Also you realize Anaheim and Los Angelos are two separate cities, and I said myself that Los Angelo's as a city is an outlier, but you said California. As for cigarettes thank you for the info it's amazing what these lower emission cars are doing, I would wager camp fires and grills cause as much if not more than a cigarette as well.

thomas998

I am planning a trip for our family and possibly the in-laws, who happen to have a heavy smoker among them and perusing the options I noticed something strange, and maybe a fellow forum reader will be able to answer this. Why are there so few smoking areas at Wilderness Lodge? I understand why they are limited at AKL as there are animals there and they probably want to discourage smoking at the property, but I don't really get WL limitations, I mean it's not like its really in a California forest that might burn down. The contemporary also does not have many options...I suspect is because these resorts are less multibuilding and more singular tall structures so less entry points..
Smoking is prohibited for the sake of non-smoking guests in most places not because of fire hazards. In general Disney tries to put the smoking areas in places away from where other non-smoking guests tend to be. I would suggest your best option is to get your in-laws some nicotine gum or patches because if they are heavy smokers they are going to be getting pretty cranky walking in Disney looking for smoking areas.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Smoking is prohibited for the sake of non-smoking guests in most places not because of fire hazards. In general Disney tries to put the smoking areas in places away from where other non-smoking guests tend to be. I would suggest your best option is to get your in-laws some nicotine gum or patches because if they are heavy smokers they are going to be getting pretty cranky walking in Disney looking for smoking areas.
Just the mom in law. And yeah the gum might be an idea, this post though was about the resorts, and the lack of reason behind the locations ( or none at all) of some of the smoking sections . For instance at POR you have a ploretha of options...maybe they figure more people smoke at moderate? I would say there are too many options actually. At Poly, if your a hotel guest, plenty of options but on the DVC side there is a whole area with none.

thomas998

Just the mom in law. And yeah the gum might be an idea, this post though was about the resorts, and the lack of reason behind the locations ( or none at all) of some of the smoking sections . For instance at POR you have a ploretha of options...maybe they figure more people smoke at moderate? I would say there are too many options actually. At Poly, if your a hotel guest, plenty of options but on the DVC side there is a whole area with none.
It may have to do with the date that the resorts were built. Not entirely familiar with the building codes and regulations in Orlando but it is entirely possible that the regulations associated with smoking areas have changed over time and became more restrictive as time went on. If that is the case it would explain why Wilderness lodge is more restrictive than POR because POR was build early than Wilderness and the DVC side of Poly was newer than the old Poly side.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
It may have to do with the date that the resorts were built. Not entirely familiar with the building codes and regulations in Orlando but it is entirely possible that the regulations associated with smoking areas have changed over time and became more restrictive as time went on. If that is the case it would explain why Wilderness lodge is more restrictive than POR because POR was build early than Wilderness and the DVC side of Poly was newer than the old Poly side.
The DVC side is just the old buildings renovated into studios so this doesnt make sense. Especially since Saratoga has way more(one near each building and that is much more recent.

ninjaprincesst

I personally think it would be much easier for everyone to just ban smoking on Disney property. my husband is a smoker and I think of all the wasted time spent in smoking areas , and me being all smoking smelling from having to sit there while he smoked (because separating our group would just use more time). It would just be better for all to ban smoking totally and have cast members enforce the ban.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom