smells of disney

swimmom

Definately WDW hotel lobbies. That is the first place we go when we arrive. It signifies that we are there! :D

disneyhope

While I LOOOOVE the popcorn stands (that's some good marketing, I always end up getting popcorn just because it smells so good... unless you're in Disneyland Paris and it smells like normal popcorn but at the last second you realize it's actually kettle corn...), I think my favorite smell comes from inside the resort rooms! Whether it's the soap/shampoo, the detergent for the laundry, or just the general scent, I know I'm there!

mmssbrg2

I don't know if I can say that it is my favorite, but it would be most distinct. I remember going on Universe of Energy as a child, during the days of EPCOT Center, and smelling the smell of the dinosaurs. I've been on that ride a handful of times since, but anytime I'm outside of WDW and smell anything even remotely similar, it brings me back to those early days.

barnum42

Smells that stay from the first ever visit - as has already been mentioned, the oranges in Horizons, plus Rome burning in Spaceship Earth.

Ella's Mommy

My fav smell is def the lobby at the poly it brings back memories of going with my grandmom who pasted away 2 years ago:cry: I also like the smell of the rooms in any of the hotels

Tom

Beta Return
Disney Air Conditioning - I think it's just the 100% humid Florida air being cooled with the water-based systems....but it has a distinctive smell. And every once in a while, on a REALLY humid Indiana day, I get a quick whiff of it in my car and i'm THERE!

Splash Mountain - I guess it's that nasty, musty, mildewey water smell. I never expereince it outside the world (thank God) but it is distinctive to Splash.

Big Thunder - It's that hot grease smell plus old wood. Man, I LOVE that smell. I smell it often on construction jobsites when I'm around a piece of equipment like a backhoe or dozer, because of the hot grease.

ToT - The boiler room. Yes, it DOES have a slight musty odor, like a real boiler room. I was actually in the boiler room of an old county hospital the other day, and I had a flashback of waiting in line for the elevator. It looked exactly like the ToT boiler room, and smelled like it (plus it had the hot grease smell) - wow!

Popcorn - Ah yes, who can pass up the intentional smell of hot popping corn as you enter the gates to the Magic Kingdom? I have to buy a box at least once on each trip, whether I'm hungry or even eat it all - it's DISNEY POP CORN!!!!

diddy_mouse

i definitely agree with the smell of a hotel lobby. something about the air conditioning or something like that...mmm...lobbby

also: the water of Splash and PotC (basically any water ride), the HM, the popcorn carts, Casey's hot dogs, Rome burning on SSE, and the smell as you walk bast Ghiradelli's :slurp:

mmm...Disney scents

daringstoic

The smell of Fort Wilderness. It doesn't smell like any campground I've ever been too. And once we start setting up the camper in the hot Florida sun, it blends with the nice aroma of sweat.

I also love the Rome burning scene in SSE. Every once in a while while sitting by a campfire, I'll catch a whiff of it and remember Disney.

Can't think of anything else specific right now. The parks just seem to have a distinct smell that I can't find anywhere else. It must be all that magic in the air.

Horizons_03

Mine would have to be the Hot Dogs at Caseys corner, Oranges at Horizons, the smell of baked goods at the bakery on the boardwalk resort, the smell of Florida air while working around the Parks.

DisneyFreak529

I love the smell of smoke in the battle sence in POTC in Disneyland.

I love the smell of water on Splash Moutain.

I love the smell of the turkey leg stand, even though I've never had one.

Brian_B

TheDisneyQueen said:
i love the smell of walking into the HM but i also love waiting in line for Splash cause the smell is so distinct!!!!!!!

Well, you can recreate those same smells at home...all you need is a bottle of Voban and some mildew, respectively... :lookaroun

:hammer: kidding, of course. Sort of.

The best smell ever was the marsh smells of the universe of energy...boy, it's a good thing they switched the smellitizers off permanently. I imagine a group of evil disney henchmen all peering at a list of my favorite things about WDW...and going down it one by one, destroying EVERYTHING

-Brian

CoffeeJedi

edwardtc said:
Big Thunder - It's that hot grease smell plus old wood. Man, I LOVE that smell. I smell it often on construction jobsites when I'm around a piece of equipment like a backhoe or dozer, because of the hot grease.

:sohappy: i'm not the only one! w00t!
i love that hot grease and wood smell too, of course, here i thought i'd be the first to say it, oh well

whenever i'm outside and its humid, generally just after it rains in the summertime, and someone nearby is smoking a cigarette, it reminds me of WDW. cigarette smoke doesn't smell like that usually in the northeast, only when conditions are right (normally i hate all cigarette smoke). of course now you don't smell it as much because of designated smoking areas, but when i was a kid it was very noticable. Equidae, i wonder if this is what you're smelling

MeTa

I think that the smell of walking into the air conditioned stores and even hotel room is the best. Sometimes when its hot at home and the AC is on I catch a small glimpse of that smell.

LUV4Goofy

Steamboat_Kevin said:
I really like the smell just as you enter a WDW hotel lobby. I can't really explain it, it's just very distinctive.
My daugther & I both agree with you. When ever we're out and about here at home and she gets a wiff of anything remotely close to the lobby smell, she always says, "Mom, it smells like Disney".

DisKid

The Lobbies of Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge most definitely!!!!

They both have such distinct smells, especially AKL!!!

(You guys actually like the smell of Splash Mountain?!?!?! I find it disgusting!)

OH! This sounds so weird, but I love the smell of the water in It's A Small World...(and the FL water in general). Even though I find it tastes disgusting, I know I am at WDW when I smell the smell of the water!:)

The most distictive smell at WDW for me (and it hasn't changed in 20 years) is the smell of the monorail platform inside the Contemporary. Standing on that platform, there is this, kind of oily smell in the air, that you actually can't really smell anywhere else in the concourse. For some reason, that smell always gave me one of those "You know you're at WDW when...." kind of feelings. Don't know why.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom