Small World Disneyland vs. Small World WDW

Small World Disneyland or Small World WDW?

• Disneyland SW

Votes: 74 74.7%
  • WDW SW

Votes: 25 25.3%

• Total voters

yensidtlaw1969

On the topic of Pooh, I think DL does more with less space. Although it doesn't follow the sequence in the movie, the dream scene makes more sense in the ride after the rain scene, and serves as a better climax. Disneyland also has a longer dream sequence and overall has a better flow to it. WDW's version has some scenes that overstay their welcome (particularly the Tigger one), and just feels less focused and cohesive overall. It may just be a matter of preference, but I think the DL version is a bit better.
I think it indeed might be preference, because I feel almost the complete opposite on every front -- to me the WDW version is the one that is better everywhere it counts. The Hunny Pot ride vehicles, the mix of White Light and Black Light show scenes, the focus of each room being conceived around a particular effect, the structural build of events, the face-time you get with each of the characters, the lack of those weird tunnels at the beginning and end of DL's ride . . . to me it all adds up to more in WDW.

I think if I had to pull something from DL to add to WDW it would be the collection of characters in the Birthday scene, I always liked that they were dimensional in Disneyland vs. WDW's lone Piglet in front of the mural. I do think having more figures around the table would make for a more effective moment to end the ride on:

DL:
WDW:

But then, of course, all of this is probably a matter of arguing who has more pennies while Tokyo counts its millions:

Club Cooloholic

I vote for DL. For one, it's location just works better, at the end of a street, with the big facade, it's far more interesting a line to stand in than the MK version. Second, it is so much cleaner and brighter in there. There just seems to have been better upkeep of the scenes.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I went on the ride in Disneyland and it just didn’t do it for me. The only thing superior is the facade. There’s something about being in a flume though that kind of made it feel more cheesy than the attraction already is.

I much prefer how the water goes all the way to the walls in MK’s version.

sophie_the_pooh

What about IASW in Disneyland Paris? I like the exterior building looking like a castle or a fortress, and the location in the park, feels like a little section of the park on its own!:happy:

yensidtlaw1969

The first time I rode Small World at Disneyland, after years of riding in WDW, I remember having a visceral reaction of "This is SO much better". It started outside the ride (this was before WDW got its indoor Clock Facade, so I'd never seen anything like it) and happened again several times throughout the ride.

That said, having ridden both a number of times since I think this reaction didn't quite hold up -- I find more and more that there are some questionable artistic choices that exist in Disneyland's Small World (not even referring to the Disney characters, which are executed well enough but just shouldn't be there) that don't exist at all in the WDW version, which feels less campy and more artistically whole. The flooded showbuilding in Florida is also of considerable note, it adds a layer of class that slightly eludes the Disneyland version.

I feel like the WDW attraction lives up to the Disneyland Facade. The Disneyland attraction is a little more kooky and weird than people give it credit for - which I probably wouldn't question if WDW hadn't refined it into a vision that's a little more crystalline.

At the end of the day I'd probably have to vote for WDW, which sort of surprises me, but when I work it out I think it ends up being the better attraction despite it's pitfalls. Part of me still feels conflicted, though . . .

Littleclown

WDW has technology going on even in this old of a ride. Next time you ride it, pay attention, as it says goodbye by name of the guest in each boat as it heads for unloading. That is so cool to see you name on a screen saying goodbye. Welcome to the magic band world.

Animaniac93-98

Saw the Tokyo Small World yesterday. It’s the Florida ride, but with characters and the Disneyland exterior. No America room and no characters in the finale, but they’re still distracting elsewhere. Europe is especially bad with all the princesses. Nemo is thankfully the only Pixar and some other designs look better than California, but I’m glad they’re not in Florida. We don’t need Olaf. On the plus side, the ride is in outstanding shape. Very beautiful lighting and colours.

RollerCoaster

I know Small World is the main topic but since others rides have been brought up.....

WDW Wins With:
Splash
Pooh
Buzz
TSR's
Festival of Fantasy
World Showcase
Animal Kingdom

Ties:
Indy/Dinosaur (i like both)

Your comment is crazy since Disneyland has NOTHING to compare to Festival of Fantasy, World Showcase, and Animal Kingdom. "My apple is better than yours..." when the other guy isn't even holding an apple to compare is a ridiculous statement.

And I'm sorry, but Buzz Lightyear at Disneyland is the far superior version of the two rides. The mounted guns and lack of response from the targets on the WDW version and no logic in the point values of the targets make the game far less enjoyable than in California. Disneyland took the popular Magic Kingdom ride and really improved upon the entire experience. For fans of game dark rides Buzz at Disneyland makes you want to ride over and over and the MK ride is a one and done or a skip entirely if you've already done it.

How can you even say that Indiana Jones or Dinosaur are a tie? They're entirely different attractions, with different stories, that only share one thing in common- an identical ride system. Of course it's a tie for the ride system sake since it's identical, but you can't say it's a tie for the attraction experience when they're so different.

What is TSR's? So many of your forget that many acronyms are not widely known.

RollerCoaster

I agree, but I still think DL's is a little better. With all the extra space it had, they should've been able to do a lot more with the WDW version, but DL's is better in the ways that matter.

I agree, but with our ridiculous ADA laws and need for wide evacuation walkways...intimate dark rides are ruined and a thing of the past. Little Mermaid is another great example of not being able to make a close-up, intimate dark ride.

KimAnnFran

I am confused about how folks think DL is better than WDW. To me, there is no comparison, simply based on immersion and EPCOT alone.

ABigBrassBand

What about IASW in Disneyland Paris? I like the exterior building looking like a castle or a fortress, and the location in the park, feels like a little section of the park on its own!:happy:
I was gonna say this! Admittedly, DLP becoming my home park of sorts (closer and cheaper to Germany than any US options, anyway) has made it feel comfier overall, but I really love most of the attraction versions there better, IASW included. I voted WDW for nostalgia factor (I do love the tent exterior, actually), but Paris is the best of both worlds for me.

iMax

Your comment is crazy since Disneyland has NOTHING to compare to Festival of Fantasy, World Showcase, and Animal Kingdom. "My apple is better than yours..." when the other guy isn't even holding an apple to compare is a ridiculous statement.

And I'm sorry, but Buzz Lightyear at Disneyland is the far superior version of the two rides. The mounted guns and lack of response from the targets on the WDW version and no logic in the point values of the targets make the game far less enjoyable than in California. Disneyland took the popular Magic Kingdom ride and really improved upon the entire experience. For fans of game dark rides Buzz at Disneyland makes you want to ride over and over and the MK ride is a one and done or a skip entirely if you've already done it.

How can you even say that Indiana Jones or Dinosaur are a tie? They're entirely different attractions, with different stories, that only share one thing in common- an identical ride system. Of course it's a tie for the ride system sake since it's identical, but you can't say it's a tie for the attraction experience when they're so different.

What is TSR's? So many of your forget that many acronyms are not widely known.

You also cut out the part of my post where I said that I went out of hand mentioning more than the castle park attractions.

I said tie for Indy/Dinosaur because I understand both rides are totally different but I love both for different reasons.

TSR = Table Service Restaurants

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Okay, that settles it. I like the Disneyland version a bit better too even though sentimentally I grew up with the WDW version. It was always the first ride we went on when we visited the Magic Kingdom. But I honestly didn't think the Disneyland version would be killing it this badly on a WDW site. Part of it as well could be the fact that Walt himself opened this attraction in 1966 just months before he died and it was part of the 1964 World's Fair.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom