SM: Faster at night

Kramjam33

Original Poster
A few days ago, I read on a site about Space Mountain that the ride DOES go faster at night. The reason isn't phycological or they "press a button" to make it go faster, but the real reason makes perfectly good sense. In the morning (before the park opens I take it, or something like that) the workers put a bunch of grease on the wheels, which would appear black, clumpy and play-doh like. Therefore the ride wouldn't go as fast because the grease is causing resistence. They call this the "cold" period. However, as the day goes on, that grease heats up from constant running and turns into a lubricant. Thus, as the day goes on, Space Mountain is going to get faster and faster, so at night it will reach its fastest speed. In the morning it goes at a top speed of aroun 25-27 mph and has a running time of about 2 minutes 45 seconds. During the night, it has a top speed of around 28-32 mph and a running time of around 2:20 seconds, because of that grease lubricant. Of course weight has to do with the top speed though. Anyways, so if you want the fastest speed on Space Mountain, go on it at night, plus it might seem even MORE fast because you would be tired from all the walking around during the day. LOL

-Mark-

Pioneer Hall

Yes there is a speed difference. But it really isn't that noticeable. I think it tops out at 32 mph. Which isn't that far from the average 28 mph.

se8472

its not really just at night...its more if its been running for 2-3 hours then it gets like that...

But no its never gets to 30mph...the thing would E-stop almost every time :lol: :lol:

DigitalDisney

I think the extra speed is an illusion. To me, every roller coaster seems faster at night.

When you ride Space Mtn at night, your eyes are already adjusted to the dark, so you can see everything in the mountain very easily, even at the bottom part of the ride. Since a lot of the supports are pretty close to the track, you get the illusion of speed.

Woody13

Originally posted by Kramjam33
...that grease heats up from constant running and turns into a lubricant.

Grease is a lubricant right out of the bucket. The "heating" theory is not true because the logs spend so much time in the water.:lol:

se8472

Re: Re: SM: Faster at night

Originally posted by Woody13
Grease is a lubricant right out of the bucket. The "heating" theory is not true because the logs spend so much time in the water.:lol:

/smack

stop laughting...we are talking about space here...last time I check there was no water in space! I think anyways...at least I hope so because now I won't laught as hard when people get off swearing it was a water ride and wanting to know where all the water went... :cool:

SpongeScott

Re: Re: SM: Faster at night

Originally posted by Woody13
Space, not Splash.

Woody13

Originally posted by SpongeScott
does this mean you are faster at night?

I am hoping that the grease will increase my cognitive abilities and reading skill.:D The next thing you know I'll probably mistake Mission:Space for Spaceship Earth!:lol:

Kramjam33

Original Poster
Like I said, even though part of the reason it seems faster because of phyciological reasons, it is physically still moving faster than in the morning.

SONiCSenshi

Space chase

This is getting a little carried away here so I am going to explain the facts. Yes the ride can travel faster through out the day, Yes it is because of the lubricant, but it also has to do with guests. In the morning or when ever the ride breaks down the trains are called cold because the grease is cold. As the ride cycles the grease starts to warm up and the ride does travel faster, but the top speed is never over 27MPH and the cycle time is usually 2.24 to 2.29. But also the ride is affected by weight, a train with six people will travel faster than a train with only one person because of momentum. This is why the Cast Members try to get five to six people in every train and if they don’t get 5 or 6 in a train they make the next train wait longer at dispatch until the lighter train in front of it has reached a certain point. This way the heavier train will not catch up to the lighter train. Also depending on how many people are riding Space Mountain affects how soon the trains are dispatched, more people equals faster dispatch. So if the dispatch interval is longer because there is no line, then the train well get colder sooner and if the dispatch interval is shorter then the trains have less time to cool down. So as you can see it not only has to do with the time of day but also the number of guests.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
and the weight of the guests riding, and how much crap they've stowed along with them for the ride, and several other factors...

SpongeScott

Originally posted by mkt
and the weight of the guests riding, and how much crap they've stowed along with them for the ride, and several other factors...
OK, so explain this to my ignorant non-imagineering mind: why does the lightest/smallest person have to sit in the front? Why can't you put the most weight in the front of the ride vehicle? For instance, what would happen if you put my family in a car in this order: me (200 pounds), wife (112 pounds--hope she doesn't read this), son (100 pounds), and daughter (70 pounds)?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
view reasons... the lightest person is usually the shortest person as well (short of a limb being hacked off/eating disorders), so in theory, that persons view wouldn't be blocked.

mattravels

I'm 5'11 and I love Space Mountain...but...question. I feel like I'm about to lose my arms and head...well...lets just generalize it as my body past my chest to one of those supports. Does anyone know just HOW close I am to death? HAHA! I mean...I guess the added speed for me is the chance of DEATH!! HAHA! :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom