News Sleeping Beauty's Castle to be refurbished

BasiltheBatLord

I actually kinda hate the curb removal, while understanding the crowd flow/control benefits it probably brings it reduces the parks to looking too much like a sterilized playground instead of an actual living, breathing place. Might be mis-remembering here but IIRC Tokyo has very few curbs or elevation across the lands and it makes them look super weird, like some flat concrete ground as far as you can see that might as well be covered by whatever that styrofoam-like material is that they used to use in McDonald's playgrounds.

SuddenStorm

I actually kinda hate the curb removal, while understanding the crowd flow/control benefits it probably brings it reduces the parks to looking too much like a sterilized playground instead of an actual living, breathing place. Might be mis-remembering here but IIRC Tokyo has very few curbs or elevation across the lands and it makes them look super weird, like some flat concrete ground as far as you can see that might as well be covered by whatever that styrofoam-like material is that they used to use in McDonald's playgrounds.

If you want to see what a park with no curbs looks like, look no further than Six Flags Magic Mountain.

kevlightyear

Losing the curbs is a small price to pay for increased mobility and safety. However, its treating a symptom rather than the disease. I would prefer they try to prevent the stampedes and crowding issues in the first place.

Ismael Flores

all we have to do is remember how bad DCA looked with no curves in any part of the park. when they added those fake curve in bathroom row near Mermaid the whole place took a different look and feel and actually looked like a real street and not just facades.

As long as they don't remove the curves on the actual main-street i think it might be ok.

mickEblu

all we have to do is remember how bad DCA looked with no curves in any part of the park. when they added those fake curve in bathroom row near Mermaid the whole place took a different look and feel and actually looked like a real street and not just facades.

As long as they don't remove the curves on the actual main-street i think it might be ok.

Curves or curbs? Yeah they absolutely have to stay on Main Street. It should be ok in the hub. Not better aesthetically than what it exists now, but Ok I guess.

mickEblu

Removing curbs is the new ban on straws. Safer for people on their phone and strollers but aestically ugly.

Ya the changes are happening so constant now that I’m just trying to find silver linings where I can. Very few of the recent projects have been upgrades aesthetically. They re only upgrades for operations.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Ya the changes are happening so constant now that I’m just trying to find silver linings where I can. Very few of the recent projects have been upgrades aesthetically. They re only upgrades for operations.

The only silver lining is to cram more people in there. Removing gardens, trees and curbs does nothing to solve the problem that there’s too many damn people at DL. The park is becoming a parking lot.

mickEblu

The only silver lining is to cram more people in there. Removing gardens, trees and curbs does nothing to solve the problem that there’s too many damn people at DL. The park is becoming a parking lot.

I guess silver lining is the wrong phrase. More like “at least they re not removing the curbs from Main Street”... yet.

SuddenStorm

It also doesn't solve the problem of all the lost capacity inside Disneyland. The Carousel building, the Motor Boat Cruise, Peoplemover Track, and Skyway all do wonders for getting people out of the walkways. And that's without getting into the waste of space that is the Fantasyland Theater and Magic Eye Theater. This, combined with Fastpass inventive people to spend less time in line is a recipe for disaster.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Although that would be more aesthetically pleasing, I don’t think the Cars need sidewalks. The street is their sidewalk.

True. It's not a deal breaker. The land is still stunning. It's just odd when you compare the animated version to the theme park version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom