Skyway

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Tenny317 said:
So whats going on with the skyway? Why is it being worked on anbody know?!!!

well, they are going to finally rehab this area and use it for something instead of it just sitting there. it will probably be something boring like a meet and greet. (well, not boring if you like that sort of thing)

check the news section of this site for pics and info

TheDisneyGirl02

jmaxwell007 said:
well, they are going to finally rehab this area and use it for something instead of it just sitting there. it will probably be something boring like a meet and greet. (well, not boring if you like that sort of thing)

check the news section of this site for pics and info

Skyway had already been used for a meet and greet area. I had my picture taken with Pinocchio and Gepetto there in 2001 or so and on my CP, I worked Snow White and Dopey there. It was a beautiful meet and greet location!

If I'm not mistaken, it's going to be used for stroller parking. I maybe wrong though...

TheDisneyGirl02

Sir Hiss527

Yea they should at least make it into a Meet n Greet, I really wouldn't complain about that. I mean at least that would be better than nothing. Also they could have the characters go inside the Skyway Building right?

Atta83

It is going to be used now for stroller parking to make it less congested right there between the entrance of Its a small world and peter pan. The little pond area is rumored to be taken out. And that a meet and greet area will be put in that area as well.

Chape19714

Atta83 said:
It is going to be used now for stroller parking to make it less congested right there between the entrance of Its a small world and peter pan. The little pond area is rumored to be taken out. And that a meet and greet area will be put in that area as well.

stroller parking is really a problem in this area. glad to hear something is being done. also, parking for philharmagic and the cindy's horses' is getting out of hand. there has to be a better way.

thanks for the insight!

Glasgow

They should have used the old skyway for something useful, like transporting food or lost children or something :)

General Grizz

Skyway, alas, I cannot say I miss it *too* much. . . but that's because I can't recall riding it. (Plus, kinda lost its flavor once I saw it at Busch Gardens. . . :p )

Three main reasons it closed:
(1) Safety: Guests started, how you say, swinging. One worker fell to his death on it.
(2) Show: It showed backstage areas
(3) Courtesy: Spittin'! 'Nuff said.

That being said. . .

attachment.php

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
General Grizz said:
Skyway, alas, I cannot say I miss it *too* much. . . but that's because I can't recall riding it. (Plus, kinda lost its flavor once I saw it at Busch Gardens. . . :p )

Three main reasons it closed:
(1) Safety: Guests started, how you say, swinging. One worker fell to his death on it.
(2) Show: It showed backstage areas
(3) Courtesy: Spittin'! 'Nuff said.

That being said. . .

attachment.php

Now, the question is.... was is efficient? If it wasn't, then it violates all four Covenants. ;)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I do remember it being a bit faster than walking to IASM (last ride on the Skyway was 12/97). Plus you were able to get off of your feet for a few minutes.

TheDScoop

The demise of the Skyway...

...really had nothing to do with whether it was efficient or not. The real reason it was removed at both parks was that a series of court decisions ultimately classified it as a type of transportation rather than attraction and that led to several tough restrictions that made operating the Skyway less feasible--both legally and economically.

That's not to say it couldn't be done because Skyways still exist. However, the courts really created a monster here by refusing to classify them as what they really were: attractions...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
TheDScoop said:
...really had nothing to do with whether it was efficient or not. The real reason it was removed at both parks was that a series of court decisions ultimately classified it as a type of transportation rather than attraction and that led to several tough restrictions that made operating the Skyway less feasible--both legally and economically.

That's not to say it couldn't be done because Skyways still exist. However, the courts really created a monster here by refusing to classify them as what they really were: attractions...

I know, I was only mentioning Efficiency because Grizz brought up Safety, Courtesy, and Show. Figured that we needed to have all four represented. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom