Skyway

BeachClubVillas

Original Poster
Am I the only person who actually misses the Skyway in the MK? :confused: I always loved that ride because it was so relaxing and I loved the view I got of Fantasyland.

Also, does anyone know why they actually took it down and never did anything with the building? I heard the story that a maintenance worker fell off of it, but is that the real reason they took it out of WDW and DL??

General Grizz

There are three reasons, I believe:

(1) Safety: guests swinging from side to side - and the incident of a worker falling off - did not help!

(2) Courtesy: guests spitting on guests from high above were worse than WDW birds! :p

(3) Show: It showed backstage areas.

Those are three keys to the kingdom that were somewhat "violated" - so away the Skyway went.

I never rode it. Or at least I don't remember. :(

Sir Hiss527

Yep, looks like you covered them Grizz...I don't miss it all. They need to turn the Fantasyland Skyway building into a darkride, or Mr. Toad's Wild Ride..."Hey I can, dream can't I?"

Sir Hiss527

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
I believe directly behind Skyway is the HM show building. I may be wrong. :confused:

Yeah there is I believe, but there's more than enough room up there to put in a darkride. Hey it's Disney anything is possible.

iluvstitch

I used to love the skyway for great photo opportunities, but I remember it loaded pretty slow and the lines were long.

I don't understand why Disney would get rid of the Skyway for safety reasons, but then put a ski lift at Blizzard Beach. You would think it would be easier to fall out of a ski lift b/c your feet dangle and you're just sitting in a chair with a bar across your lap.

I think it maybe was people dropping items. They are very strict at BB about this- you can't take anything on the ski lifts. This past summer all I had was my disposeable camera that had a strap I wrapped around my wrist and they wouldn't let me carry that on. I gave it to my bf and he luckily had a pocket that it would fit in. -Steph

General Grizz

Originally posted by iluvstitch
I used to love the skyway for great photo opportunities, but I remember it loaded pretty slow and the lines were long.

Thus, the fourth key to the kingdom, EFFICIENCY, was also violated. :lol:

Expo_Seeker40

The skyway was a pretty unique ride. It was too bad that it had to be torn down when it was an original feature of the park, but it is the reasons that grizz has stated that sealed the skyway's fate. I never rode on it. I do have pics and video of it though. Those lines were always long, atleast when I would be at the MK. If they ever do another skyway it will of course be different, but it was still a nice aerial view. When I go back to the MK I will make sure I take pics of the skyway pavilion at fantasyland, and what ever is left of the pavilion at tomorrowland. I think the skyway pavilion will always remain as a piece of architecture of fantasyland. I thought it would be neat if they had one "pole" coming out of the pavilion with a bucket hanging on a wire as a little tribute. I hope a dark ride could go there. Maybe another Mr. Toad, but I don't know if they can replicate it to the big size of the WDW version.

P.S. Are there any skyway buckets around at WDW? I'm pretty sure there is one or two at Disneyland.

gibsonc

UK Disney Geek
Where things are - more or less....

316where2.jpg

WDWhumanmap

I MISS IT!!!
it was a quick way to get from fantasyland to tomm. i mean i walk that same route now and its some much longer i wish the skyway was back and i have to admit to see my father's face as it always was on that ride was a priceless memory lost now in the happy memories of the past

meeko_33785

I don't miss it at all. IMO it just looked very out of place and a little too "carny" for the European storybook festival theme of Fantasyland and the world of the future theme of Tomorrowland. I think both lands look much better now that they're gone. It would be nice to have the stations utalized more though. At least they're (or at least were) using the Fantasyland station as a character greeting location. It's not a ride, but it's better than nothing.

maelstrom

I miss the Skyway too. :(

@Expo_Seeker40: In May I saw the Skyway buckets in the Tomorrowland Skyway building. There is a door in the loading area that leads to the rest of the second floor of the building it appears. That's where they were.

raven

Originally posted by Sir Hiss527
Yeah there is I believe, but there's more than enough room up there to put in a darkride. Hey it's Disney anything is possible.

Room? Not unless you plan to be shunk first. The building is so small and there is no room behind it.

Take a look at the size of the skyway building compaired to HM, Small World, and the Peter Pan building. Although I love dark rides, it is evident that there is no room here.

Look here: http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/data/500/316where2.jpg

gibsonc

UK Disney Geek
Originally posted by raven
Room? Not unless you plan to be shunk first. The building is so small and there is no room behind it.

Take a look at the size of the skyway building compaired to HM, Small World, and the Peter Pan building. Although I love dark rides, it is evident that there is no room here.

Look here: http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/data/500/316where2.jpg

There is no room to build directly behind the Skyway location, but I seem to remember reading about the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. They didn't have the room for the ride building so it was built on what was a car park behind some of the other buildings. The themed caves/queues for the ride pretty much lead you out of the park to the show building, but of course you don't know that because your in a cave!

Sir Hiss527

Yea I could understand how there's not enough room to put anything there. But Disney could refurb it, to make room for something there. Just like I said before, it's Disney anything can happen.

Jajo

Just looked at the images from space and there is no room for expansion in Fantasyland. In Tomorrowland there is room but it would be tight and it would take quite a lot of moving.

By the way, I wish I could ride the skyway now just to look back stage. When I was young it never occured to me to check out the buildings from overhead. Other than that, I'm glad that it is gone. It was really an eyesore. When it was originally installed, it was a novelty. Not anymore.

BeachClubVillas

Original Poster
Good point, Jajo. When I was little, it never occured to me that I could see backstage from the Skyway, so I never bothered to look. I wish I could again.

I say Disney should put the Skyway back up, even if only temporarily!:sohappy:

kevmagkingdom

Account Suspended
maelstrom said:
I miss the Skyway too. :(

@Expo_Seeker40: In May I saw the Skyway buckets in the Tomorrowland Skyway building. There is a door in the loading area that leads to the rest of the second floor of the building it appears. That's where they were.
I believe you!! But why did they keep the buckets? It'd be neato if you had photos of the buckets in that place. Were they just on the floor, or hanging someplace?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom