"Skyway Set to Close" Nov 1999 (20 Years Ago)

The Empress Lilly

It's hard to describe the significance of the Skyway to those who first visited the parks after it closed.

The original Disneyland version opened in 1956, one year after the rest of the park, and was popular enough to make it an opening day ride at both The Magic Kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland. I forget why Euro Disneyland was built without one, but either cost or weather may have been a consideration.

You could write off the experience now as breaking the park's theme or not being unique, but it was more like the Railroad. A way of getting around that gave the park another kind of kinetics, but from a different perspective. MK's version lacked the iconic trip through the Matterhorn, but by crossing the park the way it did it gave great views of the Castle, 20,000 Leagues and other sites.

The Disneyland version closed in 1994, followed by Tokyo in 1998 and then WDW in 1999. Cost cutting was the main reason, but the fatal accident in Florida made it that much easier to justify its closure.

It's weird to look back on things like it and the Keelboats and remember that they were around for decades, in multiple parks, but are now gone long enough that a generation of Disney fans (or anyone who first visited post 2000) have no idea they were ever there. It's a shame because they're the kind of simple, but appealing rides that don't get built by the company much anymore.
For the longest while I couldn't get used to the MK without the Skyway. It looked lifeless, motionless, missing something.

But now when I see pictures of the Skyway it looks weird. How times change.

I do very much miss the FL station. It was such a pretty area. The surroundings were built to complement the alpine Skyway, not the Tangled Toilet 'n Tower.

Also, look how pretty vintage TL looks... *sigh, swoon*

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Some more random Skyway pictures

1574735685923.png

1574735736279.png

1574735900220.png

1574735956834.png

1574736047090.png

Attachments

• 1574735818407.png
    1574735818407.png
    397.4 KB · Views: 64

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Great home video footage of the Tokyo Disneyland Skyway from 1998. As you can see the ride was shorter with a different bucket design. The look of the Fantasyland Chalet was based on the California Original:

ppete1975

these were super popular not just at disneyland, our state fair had one, our zoo had one, our amusement park had one. None of them exist today. But that wasnt just oklahoma, lots of zoos, fairs and amusement parks did.
I still like them, relaxing and lets you see stuff you normally dont.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
these were super popular not just at disneyland, our state fair had one, our zoo had one, our amusement park had one. None of them exist today. But that wasnt just oklahoma, lots of zoos, fairs and amusement parks did.

Busch Gardens Tampa still has their version, made by the same manufacturer as the Disney World ride.

1574878413898.png

ppete1975

Each car had a maximum weight of 700 pounds, so capacity would be more inconsistent than other rides.

If it had FP+ the standby line would be very long.
haha 700 pounds for 4 people 20 years later.
avg 200 -250 per adult 800-1000 pds.. now im sure they expect family... but people are certainly bigger now

DonnaBell

For those of you who never had a chance to ride on the Skyway here are some pictures from 1982.

Attachments

• Scan1.png
    Scan1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
  • Scan40001.png
    Scan40001.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
  • Scan10003.png
    Scan10003.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • Scan40002.png
    Scan40002.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • Scan40004.png
    Scan40004.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
  • Scan40005.png
    Scan40005.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
  • Scan40008.png
    Scan40008.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
  • Scan40009.png
    Scan40009.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • Scan40010.png
    Scan40010.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
  • Scan40011.png
    Scan40011.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 55

Simba’s Mom

I used to love the skyway. I remember that on my last ride on it, the skyway temporarily stopped and the CM working at the exit kept running over beneath me, yelling "Don't worry, Ma'am, it will start again soon." I think he was afraid I'd panic because I was alone in my "bucket". But it was a beautiful, sunny day, and I just put my feet up and enjoyed the people-watching. Ahh-at least I have the memory!

RobWDW1971

They were such great ways to add kinetic energy to the park - like the Peoplemover, monorail, subs, etc.

Also, if you're in San Diego, both the San Diego Zoo and Sea World both have operating skyways - one very high over the zoo and one over water so different experiences.

starri42

wow it just barely goes under the roller coaster
The one at Busch Gardens Williamsburg has three segments, and between the three, it passed over/through three different coasters. I may be betraying myself, because while I do remember the Skyway, I have to say that the backstage parts of Fantasyland are not QUITE as picturesque as rolling VA countryside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom