Skyliner Status

degunter

While in your hotel room trying to plan your day or while in the park trying to plan how to get back to your room, besides looking up in the sky and seeing them moving, how would you determine if the Skyliner is currently operating? Apparently there is not a way to check this on the Disney App. What would you do?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
If weather conditions are very windy (even in sunshine), stormy or there is lightning/dark sky you can assume the Skyliner won’t be operating. Buses will be available when the Skyliner is closed.

You can find Skyliner operating hours at your resort or check the boards posted at each Skyliner station.

Upvote 0

DisneyTransport

Sometimes the cabins will be moving but not carrying guests. I ran into this a few times where I thought they were open but they were doing maintenance/getting the ride ready in the AM. I agree with Tuvalu. Check at the resort to see if its operating and maybe even ask if there is any planned maintenance on the system during your stay (not sure if they would even answer that but hey, never hurts to ask!). They also won't operate with approaching storms (I forgot how far away they had to be before they shut it down), or high winds.

Skyliner is still working out the bugs I feel like, so the operating schedule isn't set in stone.

Upvote 0

JohnD

If weather conditions are very windy (even in sunshine), stormy or there is lightning/dark sky you can assume the Skyliner won’t be operating. Buses will be available when the Skyliner is closed.

You can find Skyliner operating hours at your resort or check the boards posted at each Skyliner station.

What she said. Skyliner usually opens one hour before park open. With the adjustment to Rise of the Resistance virtual queue to 7am and outside of HS, the rush on the Skyliner should be less in the morning, especially at the CBR hub. Would be interesting to get on-site reports.

Upvote 0

macefamily

I don't think they'd be running it in those hurricane wind gusts. That's just like a ski lift, and they shut them down in heavy winds. That thing could blow off the cable :eek:

Upvote 0

Rob562

I don't think they'd be running it in those hurricane wind gusts. That's just like a ski lift, and they shut them down in heavy winds. That thing could blow off the cable :eek:

I'm sure our resident lift expert @Lift Blog can speak more definitively, but I believe it's actually quite difficult/near-impossible for the cabins to simply be blown off the cable. The greater concern in high-wind conditions are cabins swinging into the support towers or the cable grip bogeys twisting into the tower guidewheels as they pass over them.

-Rob

Upvote 0

DisneyTransport

I'm sure our resident lift expert @Lift Blog can speak more definitively, but I believe it's actually quite difficult/near-impossible for the cabins to simply be blown off the cable. The greater concern in high-wind conditions are cabins swinging into the support towers or the cable grip bogeys twisting into the tower guidewheels as they pass over them.

-Rob
Just visually looking at the system and knowing a thing or two about similar systems, you can see the cabins are clamped to the cable with two springs. One redundant. You can see these types of systems have rope catchers as well (look at the towers), incase the rope goes off the rails, its caught. The danger is in high winds, the cabins will place strain on the cables (and stretch it out), and can derail the rope from the sheaves. Causing the chaos of emergency evac but there isnt really a concern that the cabins will hit the towers, unless its like, hurricane force winds.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom