Skyliner Question

Zackman4321

Original Poster
We will be attended Disneyworld in the future and will be staying at pop century. While I like the idea of the skyliner I do have a fear of being stuck in a cabin for an extended time if it breaks down. Are there security cameras to monitor people while on board? I ask because what would happen if the skyliner broke down and I have panic attack , heat exhaustion , etc.. how would anyone know this is happening if I’m stranded over a lake? How could I communicate with Disney that I need assistance. Am I just up a creek until the skyliner starts to work again? I know I’m being over the top but help me feel better.

Last edited:

Mireille

Premium Member
While I can't speak to security cameras, I can say that I've had week-long stays at both AoA and Pop and used the skyliner nearly every day of those visits. I experienced stalls like 3 or 4 times and they only lasted 30-60 seconds. They close them down if there's any hint of nasty weather that could affect the safety of running the skyliner and they have a full complement of CMs at every station and I have to imagine they have thorough procedures in place in case of an extended outage with people on board. While I'm not sure if they have any 2-way communication in the gondolas, they do have speakers for announcements and your phone will work if you need to communicate with anyone. Perhaps you could ask at the hotel desk if there is an emergency number available to call just in case anything happens just to ease your mind; I sincerely doubt you will ever experience any extended stoppages while you're riding. And unless you suffer from claustrophobia or acrophobia, it really is a pleasant ride and a fun way to start the day when you go to Epcot or the Studios. I'm sure once you've ridden it the first time and you're in the Disney bubble, your worries will fade, at least a little.

Clamman73

While I can't speak to security cameras, I can say that I've had week-long stays at both AoA and Pop and used the skyliner nearly every day of those visits. I experienced stalls like 3 or 4 times and they only lasted 30-60 seconds. They close them down if there's any hint of nasty weather that could affect the safety of running the skyliner and they have a full complement of CMs at every station and I have to imagine they have thorough procedures in place in case of an extended outage with people on board. While I'm not sure if they have any 2-way communication in the gondolas, they do have speakers for announcements and your phone will work if you need to communicate with anyone. Perhaps you could ask at the hotel desk if there is an emergency number available to call just in case anything happens just to ease your mind; I sincerely doubt you will ever experience any extended stoppages while you're riding. And unless you suffer from claustrophobia or acrophobia, it really is a pleasant ride and a fun way to start the day when you go to Epcot or the Studios. I'm sure once you've ridden it the first time and you're in the Disney bubble, your worries will fade, at least a little.
There's an emergency call button in the cabin. But agree there's nothing to worry about, but expect a short stoppage here and there...it's normal.

Zackman4321

Original Poster
Well that is good to know. I talked to some friends at church and they sort of calmed me down about riding the skyliner. Thanks for your input!

Weather_Lady

Well that is good to know. I talked to some friends at church and they sort of calmed me down about riding the skyliner. Thanks for your input!
The shortest part of the route will be from Pop Century to Caribbean Beach (which is the hub, so that's where you have to disembark and either hop on the one headed to HS, or the one headed to Riviera/EPCOT). It's only 3-5 minutes, so it will be a good test of how you're going to feel riding the Skyliner.

I truly don't think you'll find you have any issues. We have some fear of heights in my family, but the smoothness of the ride, and the ability to simply concentrate on your companions (or your phone, or the floor) instead of looking out and down, make it a calm and pleasurable experience. Usually, if there's a boarding issue someplace, the motion of the Skyliner is slowed rather than stopped, but on the rare occasion that we have stopped, it was only for a minute or two.

Phonedave

As others have said, there are emergency communications in each cab, in addition to your cell phone.

In the case that something crazy happens and they do get stuck there for a lengthy amount of time - and that requires something like some total loss of power, there are both emergency supplies in the cars, and there are various lifts parked in various parking lots along the Skyliner path that are used to evacuate passengers if necessary.

It does go over Hourglass Lake, and they do have a water evac boat for the dozen or so cabs that are over hourglass lake at any particular time.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom