Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

JT3000

Yes, but one can easily argue that the outdoor set is its own placemaking, to be judged as an exterior, not as part of the attraction itself. Yes, the facade is impressive, but David is suggesting that it does not make up for the lack of detailed environments to pass through on the ride itself. You're free to disagree with him on that point, but he is not wrong to say that there are not many physical sets in the attraction itself, because there aren't. Outside? Yes. But inside? There's not much there, and whether or not you think that is bad, good, or okay, that is the reality of the situation.

One could indeed argue that the temple exterior isn't part of the attraction. I could also jump off a roof if I wanted to, but that wouldn't make it a good idea. The temple exterior is literally part of the ride. You drive through it for god's sake. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

One could indeed argue that the temple exterior isn't part of the attraction. I could also jump off a roof if I wanted to, but that wouldn't make it a good idea. The temple exterior is literally part of the ride. You drive through it for god's sake. :rolleyes:
Radiator Springs Racers has it, but that doesn't make the inside better it adds to the experience. Jog unfortunately doesn't have that.

Daveeeeed

You are arguing with a child and we all know how we were at that age. I was always right and understood everything about everything.
Are you flipping kidding me? Just because I'm a teenager doesn't disallow me to understand an attractions that is made for enjoyment. It doesn't not make me comprehend how good a ride is. I am such a massive theme park fan you have no idea. I've been to universal Studios, ioa, DLP, WDW all in the last 6 months. Trust me I can judge and expect how good a ride's effects are with or without going. I knew Ratatouille would be a good ride, and it was. I was super excited for this ride, and based on what I see it sucks. The exterior like any ride nowadays is made with wonderful rock work, the queue with beautiful details, but you don't need anything but eyes to see the lack of sets throughout the rides. The aa seems to be an afterthought, amazing for sure, but just there. Doesn't help the terrible story that they have. Wish I could say I want to go see it like I could before Wwohp, but I can't. It is just an opinion like yours and is no less valid, but the lack of sets is a FACT.

Daveeeeed

And? Whether or not he's ridden doesn't matter in terms of objectively pointing out whether or not a ride has 8 projection screens and 2 sets, therefore relying more on screens than sets, or vice versa. You can argue that quality assessment can only properly occur by riding an attraction in person, but whether or not he's been on it is, once again, irrelevant to his ability to recognize that the ride relies heavily on the use of screens.

He's making an assertion that the ride is getting more mixed reviews than FJ because of it's reliance on screens, which does not require that he have already been on the attraction. Maybe he'll think that it works better in person, but even now, this is an assertion that is based in previous knowledge and logic, and calling someone an embarrassment because you've equated it to them bashing the attraction is childish.

He already said he went too far, and pulled back his statement to reflect what he actually thinks, and no part of it warrants being lambasted on a public forum, because it's a rational opinion based on a set of facts. Whether or not anyone disagrees with said opinion is irrelevant in terms of whether or not what he stated as fact is true, which it is.
Thank you!

JoeCamel

Are you flipping kidding me? Just because I'm a teenager doesn't disallow me to understand an attractions that is made for enjoyment. It doesn't not make me comprehend how good a ride is. I am such a massive theme park fan you have no idea. I've been to universal Studios, ioa, DLP, WDW all in the last 6 months. Trust me I can judge and expect how good a ride's effects are with or without going. I knew Ratatouille would be a good ride, and it was. I was super excited for this ride, and based on what I see it sucks. The exterior like any ride nowadays is made with wonderful rock work, the queue with beautiful details, but you don't need anything but eyes to see the lack of sets throughout the rides. The aa seems to be an afterthought, amazing for sure, but just there. Doesn't help the terrible story that they have. Wish I could say I want to go see it like I could before Wwohp, but I can't. It is just an opinion like yours and is no less valid, but the lack of sets is a FACT.

You reinforce my assertion.... You will understand in about 20 years I hope.

Castle Cake Apologist

You reinforce my assertion.... You will understand in about 20 years I hope.

I'm about to turn 29, am I allowed to have an opinion?

The queue was amazing. The ride, just... Meh. The entire experience was basically watching a movie while the truck bounced around and I got sprayed by water and wind. Very very disappointing, but not unexpected. At this point, any time I get on a new Universal ride, I pretty much just assume that I'm just going to be looking at a bunch of screens.

It was doubly disappointing because it started with AAs and a physical environment so I had this moment of hope that this ride would finally be a different direction for Universal. Then, bam! Movie time!

No to mention that I found the edges of the screens to be quite obvious. Very little effort was put into blending them with any kind of physical set. Also, not the greatest CG I've ever seen.

Not gonna lie, the moment with the Kong AA was kinda cheesy and random and I didn't think that the AA was nearly as impressive as it seems Universal fans think it is.

Last edited:

RobotWolf

Is there any variation in the experience for the different drivers? I know we hear their "local" audio and see the AA. But is there any change elsewhere?

Daveeeeed

You guys who bash screens must really hate Epcot then.
It's different to have a movie then a ride... I love screens if combined with sets, or go back and forth like Forbidden Journey. Most important is a balance. What I don't like is when the meat of it like Kong is that combined with a boring story. It is like watching a bad film in a 4D theater that moves...

mergatroid

What on earth does this have to do with the discussion?

Mike S

Original Poster
It's different to have a movie then a ride... I love screens if combined with sets, or go back and forth like Forbidden Journey. Most important is a balance. What I don't like is when the meat of it like Kong is that combined with a boring story. It is like watching a bad film in a 4D theater that moves...
Have you been on Gran Fiesta Tour, Nemo, or Mission: SPACE? All heavily screen based and Kong looks better than all of them. Let's not forget the tearing out of the more physical ending descent of Spaceship Earth in favor of screens in every ride car. The ride is great until it gets to that sequence which is more boring than any of the "bad films in 4D theaters" at Universal. Then we get to Universe of Energy with its vastly outdated 20 year old film portion. The Dinosaur scene is the rides saving grace but is still pretty short. Imagination had all the Imagination ripped from it and guess what? SCREENS!!! If you see this as a problem it goes both ways. At least what Universal builds is exciting and it looks like Disney is following suit starting with Shanghai's Pirates and followed by Avatar and Star Wars. If I end up not liking F&F based on what I've read it won't be because of "screenz."

I'm seriously done dealing with this. Bicker amongst yourselves.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Have you been on Gran Fiesta Tour, Nemo, or Mission: SPACE? All heavily screen based and Kong looks better than all of them. Let's not forget the tearing out of the more physical ending descent of Spaceship Earth in favor of screens in every ride car. The ride is great until it gets to that sequence which is more boring than any of the "bad films in 4D theaters" at Universal. Then we get to Universe of Energy with its vastly outdated 20 year old film portion. The Dinosaur scene is the rides saving grace but is still pretty short. Imagination had all the Imagination ripped from it and guess what? SCREENS!!! If you see this as a problem it goes both ways. At least what Universal builds is exciting and it looks like Disney is following suit starting with Shanghai's Pirates and followed by Avatar and Star Wars. If I end up not liking F&F based on what I've read it won't be because of "screenz."

I'm seriously done dealing with this. Bicker amongst yourselves.
Just give up Mike. Universal SUCKS!!! Disney are the only people who build great attractions period.

The defensive are out in force across all the threads. Universal MUST be doing something right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom