Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

Disneyhead'71

Half of that sounds good ;)

Personally, a microbudget revamp of Maelstrom doesn't entice me. I would have much rather Disney use one of the empty World Showcase expansion pads for an Arendale mini-land with a Frozen E-ticket, Olaf flat ride, maybe some historical info on other arctic regions (Scandinavia, Greenland, Antarctica, etc).

Universal's rumored slate is looking mighty fine for the next 5 years.
  1. Kong E-ticket
  2. Mystery coaster (fast-tracked for late 2016, according to OU insiders)
  3. M&G/show experience for Jurassic Park
  4. Fast and Furious - Supercharged (expanded version of what Uni Hollywood is getting)
  5. Jimmy Fallon-themed flight simulator to replace Twister
  6. A couple family attractions to replace current KidZone (SpongeBob and TMNT?)
That sounds a lot better than Frozen and Pandora to me. Of course, I won't pass a final judgment on either until I've experienced both :)
You forgot WonderSea. I believe a new highly themed water park counts.

StageFrenzy

Half of that sounds good ;)

Personally, a microbudget revamp of Maelstrom doesn't entice me. I would have much rather Disney use one of the empty World Showcase expansion pads for an Arendale mini-land with a Frozen E-ticket, Olaf flat ride, maybe some historical info on other arctic regions (Scandinavia, Greenland, Antarctica, etc).

Universal's rumored slate is looking mighty fine for the next 5 years.
  1. Kong E-ticket
  2. Mystery coaster (fast-tracked for late 2016, according to OU insiders)
  3. M&G/show experience for Jurassic Park
  4. Fast and Furious - Supercharged (expanded version of what Uni Hollywood is getting)
  5. Jimmy Fallon-themed flight simulator to replace Twister
  6. A couple family attractions to replace current KidZone (SpongeBob and TMNT?)
That sounds a lot better than Frozen and Pandora to me. Of course, I won't pass a final judgment on either until I've experienced both :)
Where is the coaster going? Link to OU thread?

StageFrenzy

I think Teebin rumored it was for Kidzone, or maybe he only had the project number and didn't know where it was going.

I'd be shocked if Universal opened a new coaster the same year as Kong. Wonder if it'll have a metal detector at the entrance, too.

Yeah thanks, Uni needs to get off the coaster and fast ride thing.

JT3000

I think Teebin rumored it was for Kidzone, or maybe he only had the project number and didn't know where it was going.

I'd be shocked if Universal opened a new coaster the same year as Kong. Wonder if it'll have a metal detector at the entrance, too.

Nah, they wouldn't do that. Then you'd have no reason to get on the ride itself. My sauces have confirmed that it will be named Metal Detector: The Ride 3D. It's a wooden coaster.

mahnamahna101

That, we don't know. I personally think that it could make an AWESOME Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Dark Coaster.
Honestly a TMNT indoor coaster, a Bikini Bottom mini-land (Splash Battle E-ticket, Hooky-themed flat ride, KidZone Pizza retheme, play area), some refreshing of the Curious George area, a massive upgrade for E.T. (relocated into Hollywood), a Woody Woodpecker show and a Scooby-Doo trackless dark ride would be about perfect for the KidZone revamp.

All of those are timeless except Woody Woodpecker (who is getting a reboot from Illumination over the next decade). They've proven their endurance.

Indoor coaster: teens/adults/older kids (40"-44" height requirement)
Splash Battle: all ages
Trackless dark ride: all ages
SpongeBob flat: 32"-36" (preschoolers/toddlers and up)
Woody Woodpecker show (could be anything Universal wants, that is also kid-friendly): all-ages

It'd require taking some of the MIB/Springfield space though... or could all of that fit if everything except E.T. was removed?

Disneyhead'71

In Disney lexicon, any ride that moves more than 1.8mph/2.1KPH is an extreme thrill ride. Therefore a rollercoaster that travels at 56mph is roughly 25X the limit for most Disney fans. Disney fans actually think TRON Track is a thrill ride.

Disney fans are partial to rides like the Anna & Elsa M&G. And even that can cause "the vapors" in true fans.

StageFrenzy

I don't know if the parks can set out to build a "C or D ticket attraction" anymore. The dynamics of cost and expectations have put a kibosh on that.

JT3000

Do you feel they set out to be C or D or were they Swinging for the E?

I have no doubt that someone involved in their creation/promotion likes to think of them as groundbreaking headline attractions, even if they never had a chance of reaching that standard. The same type of people who merely look at the long lines at a ride like Midway Mania and feel vindicated.

Last edited:

Padraig

On the whole subject of what constitutes a family ride and the two companies strategies for them: There's a radio ad for Disneyland Paris playing nationally here at the moment. It states to "bring your kids to Disney before they're too old". That's verbatim. Honestly , thought it was bizarre and I'd love to know who conceived/approved it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom