Skipper Canteen or Liberty Tree Tavern? And why?

Should we stick with what we know we’ll like (LTT) or try something new that gets rave reviews (SC)?

• Total voters

Mireille

Premium Member
I've eaten at both, though it's been 3 years since I ate at Skipper's and probably 5 or so since I ate at LTT. As a vegetarian, the food is passable at either one for me and I can't say how their meat dishes are, but Skipper Canteen is more to my taste; it's "exotic" in the way like... Panda Express is exotic, just different seasoning, really. (But I really had to branch out my tastes when I went veg because a lot of world cuisines, like Indian, have so many veggie options, so judge my opinion accordingly. If you've got chicky nugs/mac & cheese kids, it may be pretty scary.) But my overall decision is driven by theming. They're both actually really good, but if you haven't experience Skipper Canteen I think it's really worth a try if you don't have super picky eaters or absolutely adore LTT and would regret missing out on it.

JIMINYCR

Weve had plenty of ADR's at LTT and even through the changes that theyve had to the meals, its been consistently pleasing, the service and setting have continued to please us as well. We enjoy the selections of items on the menu as well as the deserts. And getting served extras of whatever item we desire is a plus.
On our last trip we decided to try SC. I requested a certain room to dine in for the theming I had seen online and was told we could have it but there was a wait. I agreed to wait for a table to open up. When we were led to the seats the CM took us to a different area than requested. I told her this wasnt what we wanted, but she told us we could wait longer or be seated here. We had already spent too much time waiting and decided to take what we had. The meal was decent, but the plated food was sparse and not flavored well. I know having been given a different seating may have affected my review somewhat but LTT had never let me down. Requesting certain rooms to dine in there has always been granted. I expected for the money paid to receive a better quantity of plated food and food that was seasoned at least somewhat to make it flavorful.
For us, it comes down to the quantity of food and variety of food selection served at LTT that gives that dining spot my nod over SC.

Phicinfan

Comes down to what you are willing to try.
My Daugher and I love SC, and will always try to eat at least one meal there on every trip.
My wife and I were down in WDW last August and our first meal was Liberty Tree. My only issue with LTT is how much food you get. There is a lot there for just two people, and you can have more if you like, but not many like to eat that heavy of a meal and then try to walk around a huge park.

The dining is a bit more exotic at SC, so if you like that you should like to eat there. I love the back story, and I had a ton of fun the last few times with the CM's working our table. At one point I got the waitress so tickled she almost dropped my drink on me. A whole lot more fun at SC than at LTT IMO.

Artemicon

IMO they're both comparable quality restaurants, and it would really depend on what you were feeling that day or what you typically like to eat.

Because of the style of eating at LTT, I feel like I eat more there than I do at SC, that can be a good thing or bad thing depending on how busy of a day you've planned. SC has a pretty wide variety of options to pick from so if you're even slightly adventurous, you will likely enjoy it.

Look over the options at SC and compare them to what you like at LTT, and if you still can't make a decision, a coin-flip is always an option.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Don't they share the same kitchen?

Yes, but not the same menu. Pot roast takes longer to prepare than a steak and uses quite a different cut of meat. So in the parks, most suffer the fate of being flash fried on a griddle. Yak and the Derby are the only in park locations where I've found consistently well prepared steak.

FoodRockz

Right? I seem to remember them launching with a whole fried lion fish? I saw that and immediately knew it wouldn't last but it was really cool to see something pretty unique in a park that is pretty starved for a good sit down meal.
I LOVED my lion fish there. Two whole lion fish looking straight at me on the plate. Haven't been to WDW in years but heard they downgraded the menu greatly.

bhg469

I LOVED my lion fish there. Two whole lion fish looking straight at me on the plate. Haven't been to WDW in years but heard they downgraded the menu greatly.
The one time I tried to go when they had their original menu I was solo, down on a trip for work and decided to try to get a single table. It didn't work out and eventually had to stomach a burger from Electric umbrella :( It was an extremely busy day.

Smiley/OCD

Skippers is special, Liberty Tree is turkey and mashed potatoes. I've eaten at both and would never go back to Liberty Tree. To me there is absolutely nothing special about the meal. Skippers not only tastes better but it is much more unique.
Sorry, but the pot roast is excellent…when we order our platter, we ask them to skip the sliced pork and double up on the pot roast…they’re always accommodating and it makes for a great meal…turkey, I love and eat it throughout the year…my girls aren’t adventurous eaters but my wife and I will eventually try Skipper’s

FoodRockz

The one time I tried to go when they had their original menu I was solo, down on a trip for work and decided to try to get a single table. It didn't work out and eventually had to stomach a burger from Electric umbrella :( It was an extremely busy day.
Sorry to hear that about Electric Umbrella. Just wasn't the same after they stopped serving Mickey shaped pasta and square pizza. Hah.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
you are thinking of diamond horseshoe, sc is way away in adventureland
Look at the picture... it's a long walk between front doors, but they're back-to-back in the same building. It wouldn't surprise me if all three venues shared the same kitchen ... plus the Club 33 lounge as well.
1657687358897.png

mfortis

This is an easy choice. Skipper Canteen hands down. Why? Because they serve alcohol! You can sit down and have a drink to relax. Food quality? Who cares a few drinks and the food automatically tastes better.

bhg469

This is an easy choice. Skipper Canteen hands down. Why? Because they serve alcohol! You can sit down and have a drink to relax. Food quality? Who cares a few drinks and the food automatically tastes better.
I really wish they served cocktails though. Beer/wine doesn't appeal to me as much at a nice Paloma or Manhattan! The tropical sangria is pretty refreshing however.

UncleFastpass

I don’t like to recommend restaurants as I think food is a subjective thing. I will say that I like SC because of variety of food and the different rooms. Also I would note that we ate at SC in March and where talking to our waitress and she expressed frustration and sadness that she was unable to provide a “true Disney“ dinning experience because of lack of staff and supplies.I don’t know if things have improved since then, all I know is that these days when I go out to eat I need to pack my patience no matter where I go.

disneyspirit

LTT for me. We went to SC several years in a row, my husband likes it but I have never had a good meal there. I very rarely complain about restaurant food but every time we've gone there I leave hungry. Tastes like chicken was dry as dust, and the last time my steak was unBelievably salty. Gave my husband a bite and he almost choked. They must be used to it because they take away my full plate without a word. Please let's go to LTT next time. I was so happy to have just some nice turkey, pork, pot roast, etc. Doesn't concern me that it's not 'exotic' or whatever SC is supposed to be, it was all nicely prepared and delicious.

Imhere

We used to eat at our favorites EVERY trip. At some point, after eating at LTT like 6 or 7 times, we decided we want to eat at new/different places. We now, every trip, try to eat at places we never have. MK isn't really packed with good TS restaurants, but we really really like Skippers Canteen.

Just free it up and try new places. If you don't like it, hey, it's one meal out of your life and you're going to eat again in a few hours anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom