Skipper Canteen or Liberty Tree Tavern? And why?

Should we stick with what we know we’ll like (LTT) or try something new that gets rave reviews (SC)?

• Total voters

mp2bill

Original Poster
Somebody asked this question on Reddit the other day, and although we already have ADRs at Liberty Tree Tavern, which we’ve eaten at in the past and really like, the answers got me second guessing and thinking we should give Skipper Canteen a shot.

When originally booking ADRs, I skipped over (no corny Jungle Cruise pun intended) Skipper Canteen because we have two kids (8 & 6) who aren’t adventurous eaters, but upon second viewing of the menu, I’m fairly confident they’ll like either the grilled steak or crispy chicken (they like mac and cheese too, but my wife very astutely pointed out that when they find out it’s “homemade,” they’ll probably turn their noses up at it).

So, which restaurant do you prefer, and if you don’t mind, can you tell me why you like it over the other?

We love Edna Mode

I myself am not an adventurous eater and the menu does not look like there’s anything I would enjoy. However i may venture over there anyway for the amazing atmosphere and fun cast and crew. As always, LTT is my go to on every trip and it just feels like home! Why not try both.

mp2bill

Original Poster
I myself am not an adventurous eater and the menu does not look like there’s anything I would enjoy. However i may venture over there anyway for the amazing atmosphere and fun cast and crew. As always, LTT is my go to on every trip and it just feels like home! Why not try both.
Well, I know it’s not anything to write home about, but because both children love Beauty and the Beast, we’re going to do Be Our Guest the other day we’re at MK.

Chi84

Premium Member
For consistency in food preparation and quality, we stick to LTT. Skippers can be either good or bad its a gamble. I've had great steaks and plates of gristle all for the same price.
I ordered the pork entree at Skippers and got two slabs of fat covered in a salty brown goo. I would have sent it back but we were in a side room and the server never came to check on us until after my husband was long finished with his tasteless head-on shrimp. She eventually removed my full plate without comment. We are definitely adventurous eaters, but this was an adventure from hell.

mp2bill

Original Poster
I ordered the pork entree at Skippers and got two slabs of fat covered in a salty brown goo. I would have sent it back but we were in a side room and the server never came to check on us until after my husband was long finished with his tasteless head-on shrimp. We are definitely adventurous eaters, but this was an adventure from hell.
Wow, I’ve only heard good things. Thanks for your input.

Chi84

Premium Member
Wow, I’ve only heard good things. Thanks for your input.
It was shortly after the restaurant opened, so maybe they’ve worked things out by now. I’ve heard good things too but we just don’t want to take another chance since there are so many choices at WDW.

CynBeth

We have never eaten at Skippers I have family members with food allergies and the menu is too exotic for them. We have always had a lunch at LTT and they used to have the a la carte menu but on our trip in November knew it had changed to the AYCTE for lunch and decided to try it and were glad we did we absolutely loved it. They were able to make individual plates for them working around their issues even asked if they wanted more but were so stuffed could not even have dessert. I had the regular platter and just found enough space for the OGTC.

WorldExplorer

My family loved Skippers Canteen, but I would definitely categorize myself as not adventurous and preferred Liberty Tree Tavern. I ended up going to Skipper's Canteen twice in one day (last minute "let's stay a little longer by booking a late meal" kind of thing), so I had two chances to try and find something workable and neither worked out.

Unless you want to play the "modify things until they're unrecognizable and you're paying for half the stuff" game, I'd recommend Liberty.

We have never eaten at Skippers I have family members with food allergies and the menu is too exotic for them. We have always had a lunch at LTT and they used to have the a la carte menu but on our trip in November knew it had changed to the AYCTE for lunch and decided to try it and were glad we did we absolutely loved it. They were able to make individual plates for them working around their issues even asked if they wanted more but were so stuffed could not even have dessert. I had the regular platter and just found enough space for the OGTC.
The Bell Burger! It is sorely missed.

Penny’s Dad

We have eaten at Liberty Tree Tavern many times and it has always been very good. We also like to try a few new places each trip and plan on trying Skipper’s Canteen during our September trip. We may not like it but are willing to give it a try.

Mickey5150

Skippers is special, Liberty Tree is turkey and mashed potatoes. I've eaten at both and would never go back to Liberty Tree. To me there is absolutely nothing special about the meal. Skippers not only tastes better but it is much more unique.

Club Cooloholic

I think Skippers is very meh. When it first opened the food was more interesting. I also have never had amazing service. But Liberty has been great my last two visits and the food is pretty dang good.

bhg469

I liked skippers but I really wish I got to go when the menu was actually more exotic. It is definitely more tame than people let on. Liberty tree is ok but IMO is pretty bland but filling. I really don't think the food type suits itself to long walks after in the florida sun... Maybe in the winter time it would sound more appealing though.

Hockey89

I liked skippers but I really wish I got to go when the menu was actually more exotic. It is definitely more tame than people let on. Liberty tree is ok but IMO is pretty bland but filling. I really don't think the food type suits itself to long walks after in the florida sun... Maybe in the winter time it would sound more appealing though.
Yeah, I'm blown away when people say Skippers is exotic in 2022... Nothing crazy about the menu at all...

Liberty Tree- Agreed completed.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I like both restaurants. I like the chicken a lot at Skipper's, the chili sauce that comes with it really makes the dish for me. My husband likes the char sui pork and the "secret menu" Brazilian cheese bread is very delicious especially with the sauces it comes with. The atmosphere is great too. I like looking at all the punny jungle cruise stuff, the book titles in the library crack me up, and our interactions with the cast members are fun too. Liberty Tree has a decent Thanksgiving type meal, the mac and cheese is always disappointing and the stuffing is good enough but neither of these dishes are as good as what I can make at home. The meats on the tray have always been good and tender. If I had to chose between to the two I would lean toward Skipper's but I think you would be satisfied with either one. Although if you are going when it is really hot you might not want a heavy Liberty Tree meal. I just got back from WDW a week ago and every time I passed Liberty Tree and thought of that heavy meal it somehow made me feel sick to my stomach for a moment. Side note, the Diamond Horseshoe also serves the same meal as Liberty Tree if you can't get a reservation there.

bhg469

Yeah, I'm blown away when people say Skippers is exotic in 2022... Nothing crazy about the menu at all...

Liberty Tree- Agreed completed.
Right? I seem to remember them launching with a whole fried lion fish? I saw that and immediately knew it wouldn't last but it was really cool to see something pretty unique in a park that is pretty starved for a good sit down meal.

Hockey89

Right? I seem to remember them launching with a whole fried lion fish? I saw that and immediately knew it wouldn't last but it was really cool to see something pretty unique in a park that is pretty starved for a good sit down meal.
It's invasive to Florida too so it's not bad to over fish them..... Any time I see a new menu with items like that you know it will be gone in a week since so much of the country still needs a slice of bread, steak and potato with their meal....

bhg469

It's invasive to Florida too so it's not bad to over fish them..... Any time I see a new menu with items like that you know it will be gone in a week since so much of the country still needs a slice of bread, steak and potato with their meal....
My exposure to the park food used to be opinions of vloggers... Huge mistake.. most of these influencer absolutely gush over the 75th chicken tender restaurant to come to Florida. Now that I live down here there are a hand full of restaurants that we go to on property but out favorites aren't run by disney!

Vegas Disney Fan

I have family members with food allergies and the menu is too exotic for them.

My GF is allergic to coconut and pineapple and her options were very limited at Skippers, it seemed like everything included one or the other.

My food was good but we won’t be back since they didn’t have much for her. LTT is a safer menu for allergies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom