Six year old with a broken elbow

WWWD

Leaving for the World next week, and on Christmas Eve night my six year old broke his bone right above the elbow. Today he had a cast put on it. Anyone have experience/advice touring the parks with a child in a full arm cast? He is looking forward to the characters signing his cast. Thanks.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I would check with his doctor about any limitations, but generally, so long as his cast doesn't interfere with safety equipment on a given ride, he should be fine. Given it's winter it may not be a concern, but if he likes swimming, he should get a waterproof cast if he can.

Upvote 0

smk

I broke my leg years ago and I have to say it was a most painful experience! I would make sure to check with him frequently, make sure he is not in pain cause kids usually don't express real pain very well. They express fear of pain, but real pain, not so much. Keep his pain meds handy, protect him in a crowd, no bumps of his arm, other than that I see no problems, go and have a great time!

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

As Monty said, definitely check with the doctor on what rides he shouldn't do. Short of something like RnRC (harness issues), and maybe Kilimanjaro Safaris for the bumpbs, most stuff should be ok.

Upvote 0

luv

I'd ask the doctor, but I see no reason he shouldn't be able to ride whatever he wants to ride. I've said this before in these types of threads, but my brother broke his arm when we were kids and it didn't stop us from riding anything. I did make him ride on the side of me where I didn't get banged by the cast when the ride slammed him into me, but Disney has so few of those...only Big Thunder (and maybe Primeval Whirl), I think, and even that isn't too bad.

That sucks, though. Poor kid!

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We've used these, God sent.
man_shower20120424130827main.jpg

and these

Girl_with_leg_cover_floating_in_pool_3_large.jpg

http://www.midwestdiscountmedical.com/collections/cast-covers-for-swimming-and-bathing

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

Wasn't broken, but I do have a bad left wrist, and I re injured it before our trip in Jan 2013, so I was in this brace
contentonly.aspx

It may take you longer to go through security at the airport if you are flying. I know they swabbed my brace. I'm not sure if they would do this with a cast as well. Biggest thing was keeping my arms from getting rammed in crowds. I would have him tuck his arm in while walking and always walk in between you. Ask your doctor for sure, but I think the only attractions he won't be able to do are Mission: Space and Rock 'n Roller Coaster because of the restraint system. You must be able to hold on. No holding on=no ride. I've seen them tell guests with full arm casts no to these rides because they can't hold on. Other than that, plenty of painkillers is a must.

Upvote 0

luv

Ordered one. Thanks. Poor kid was looking forward to finally swimming without a swim vest, but with the weight of the cast he'll be using his swim vest again.
The water parks provide them for free. :) (can't take it with you, of course, but they have them available to use. They're good ones, too!)

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Ordered one. Thanks. Poor kid was looking forward to finally swimming without a swim vest, but with the weight of the cast he'll be using his swim vest again.

My heart goes out to him. Been there done that. Those sleeves have saved several vacations for us and them. I was a big fan of coast guard life vests at Disney. We brought our own from the time they were two (Target has coast guard approved like Disney, look at label) that were cute or cool depending on the kid and the vests just made safety easy in main pools, quiet pools or water parks. Broken, like you said it it helps keep them afloat.

Both of my kids became strong swimmers with life vests and by 7 years old both shed them and became competition swimmers into college. Both are certified lifeguard trainers now, one has been a trainer and deep water rescue boat CM for deep water at Disney. Those coast guard vests are the badge of honor that were the trainers for strong swimmers they became and my piece of mind. My DD in a wheelchair because of a cracked foot was our worst pre-Disney Trip injury. It worked out just fine.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom