Six Flags Orlando?

Piebald

Original Poster
Today while in Orlando we were talking to our friend who is a realtor. He was talking about how he has purchased many lots of land around the area and how the prices had sky-rocketed. He mentioned a lot east of Orlando that was very cheap and because they plan to build a Six Flags theme park, the price had shot up almost 130,000. Ok... Maybe I didn't do a proper search, but does anyone know more about this? It sounds very intriguing that they're planning to build this.

BrerPete

The closest Six Flags to me is the one in New Jersey and it suck-diddily-ucks. As a matter of fact, after my first trip to WDW I went to Six Flags and that was the last time.

mwc1996

Six flags may not have built any parks since the 70's but they have certainly bought parks that have been built since then (Fiesta Texas). Having said that I think it would be a big mistake for them to even try to compete with Universal and Disney. Talk about a no win situation.

Epcot82Guy

All of the Six Flags managment teams, including Premeir Parks, have all but officially said that they are not looking to build parks. Premeir Parks might have bought something over there which could start such a rumor, but this would not be a Six Flags. It would more likely be a smaller venture or water park. It might also be a resort-type peroperty.

And, yes, Six Flags aren't well run at all. I live near Great America (or used to), and that is considered one of their flagship parks. It's fine for what it is, but it certainly is no Disney.

imagineerfan

mwc1996 said:
Six flags may not have built any parks since the 70's but they have certainly bought parks that have been built since then (Fiesta Texas).

I think they also bought SF America between Baltimore and Washington. We went to it when it was Advernture World, then again as SF America. What a disapointment, the quality took an unfortunate dive... :cry:

Epcot82Guy

Actually, the list of Six Flags acquisitions is quite long. Just some that I know:

Great America itself (the other Great America was bought by Paramount), Jazzland in New ORleans, Fronteir City near Oklahoma City, Elich Gardens in Colorado, Geuaga Lake near Cleveland (since been sold off to Cedar Fair after it flopped under Six Flags' management), Marine World in California, and I'm sure there are more (it's late). They really are the WalMart of theme parks. Very rapid expansion and then poor service and management. Unfortunately, it didn't work as a business model for Six Flags.

AEfx

imagineerfan said:
I think they also bought SF America between Baltimore and Washington. We went to it when it was Advernture World, then again as SF America. What a disapointment, the quality took an unfortunate dive... :cry:

They also bought Riverside amusement park in Agwam, MA, and turned into "Six Flags New England" a few years ago.

It's the biggest crap-hole I've ever seen. It used to be a dank, dirty park with maintainance issues, and it's STILL a dark, danky park with maintainance issues. The shoehorned a few DC-themed coasters, turned the place into a mess, filled it with carnie games, and put a bunch of uneducated teenages in charge.

I made the mistake of buying an AP sight-unseen. They charge almost Disney-level prices (almost $50 for a ticket - and this was a couple of years ago) and an AP was on sale for like $65 so I bought it. I spent a grand total of two hours in the park and left in disgust. I assumed I'd be back (since I'd already paid for it plus they give you free "bring a friend" coupons) but I never did.

You may have heard about this six flags - it's the one where the guy died falling out of Superman last year.

I see no point in Six Flags going to Florida and agree it isn't likely at all. Thrill rides with no theme - nope, don't need 'em. Plenty of other places to go in the country for that.

AEfx

nibblesandbits

Yeah, and SF keeps buying all these "already established parks" and "tries" to take care of them, but then doesn't give a rat's patooty about one of their original parks! Six Flags St. Louis is one of the poorest excuses for a theme park. They have very minimal rides (even minimal roller coasters, and that is what they are famous for! I think we have a total of 6 where as every other Six Flags seems to have like 10! And our roller coasters aren't even any good!) And 2 of their "thrill" attractions are broken at the moment...and one of them is rumored not to even coming back at all! SFSTL is just not even near what some of their other parks are like. AND we always get the raw end of the deal.

dclfan

Six Flag Parks are terrible.The Restaurants are sceevy,lol dont know if that is a real word, and things are hardly ever opened. I Live in New York City so the closest Six Flags is Great Adventure. When I was there last i went for this new Ride Kingda Ka which has been heavily promoted and has commercials evertime you turn on the televsion. Needless to say it was closed of course and the whole time me and my family kept saying Disney would never have done this. This is not Disney. No to mention the amount of Bad Show. I think it would be a huge mistake for them to open a park in Orlando. Their competition is way out of their league.

AliciaLuvzDizne

Epcot82Guy said:
Actually, the list of Six Flags acquisitions is quite long. Just some that I know:

Great America itself (the other Great America was bought by Paramount), Jazzland in New ORleans, Fronteir City near Oklahoma City, Elich Gardens in Colorado, Geuaga Lake near Cleveland (since been sold off to Cedar Fair after it flopped under Six Flags' management), Marine World in California, and I'm sure there are more (it's late). They really are the WalMart of theme parks. Very rapid expansion and then poor service and management. Unfortunately, it didn't work as a business model for Six Flags.
and also six flags new england: formerly riverside.

Moustronaut

dclfan said:
Six Flag Parks are terrible.The Restaurants are sceevy,lol dont know if that is a real word, and things are hardly ever opened. I Live in New York City so the closest Six Flags is Great Adventure. When I was there last i went for this new Ride Kingda Ka which has been heavily promoted and has commercials evertime you turn on the televsion. Needless to say it was closed of course and the whole time me and my family kept saying Disney would never have done this.
Disney would just delay the opening for two years a la Test Track :lol:

SewIn2Disney

I live about 30 minutes from Six Flags Great Adventure, which two people already mentioned. Kingda Ka (the world's tallest and fastest roller coaster right now) opened for like what, 2 weeks? And then they had a malfunction, can't get replacement parts, and has been closed ever since. Not to mention, they pushed the opening date back about 5 times.
Their parks are dirty, unkept, unthemed, and just gross. It also reflects on the customers they attract. It's typically obnixious groups of teenagers who are rude, loud and disrespectful. How many parks have to have seating areas in the queues for their employees to monitor line jumpers?
I think a Six Flags in Orlando would fail miserably.

Madison

For what's worth, I believe this is a fairly comprehensive list --

Six Flags New England -- formerly Riverside
Six Flags Great Adventure -- formerly Great Adventure
Six Flags La Ronde -- formerly La Ronde which was formerly Expo '86, I think.
The Great Escape
Six Flags America -- formerly Adventureworld
Six Flags over Georgia
Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom -- formerly Kentucky Kingdom
Wyandot Lake
Old Indiana Fun Park -- Six Flags' boneyard, no longer an operating park.
Six Flags New Orleans -- formerly Jazzland
Six Flags St. Louis -- formerly Six Flags over Mid-America
Six Flags Great America -- formerly Marriott's Great America
Six Flags Astroworld -- formerly Astroworld
Six Flags over Texas
Six Flags Fiesta Texas -- formerly Fiesta Texas
Frontier City
Six Flags Elitch Gardens -- formerly Elitch Gardens, new park with the same name as the original, though in a different location.
Six Flags Magic Mountain -- formerly Magic Mountain
Six Flags Marine World -- formerly Marine World Africa USA
Six Flags Mexico -- formerly Reino Aventura
Wild Waves and Enchanted Village

...and this ignores their waterparks entirely. I list these only because the Six Flags site doesn't list the parks' former names.

All of that being said, I like some Six Flags parks more than others and rarely have had a poor time at one of their parks. Though, it's pretty hard to upset me when I'm on vacation because I'm there explicitly to avoid stress and so I tend to roll with the punches a bit and take things as they are.

I've visited seven Six Flags parks, one of which was Six Flags Worlds of Adventure before the park's recent sale to Cedar Fair. Six Flags Magic Mountain was, hands down, the worst park I've visited simply because of its horrible operations. I still haven't decided if I'll ever go back when on vacation to Southern California.

Six Flags over Georgia, however, is a gorgeous park steeped in history and I had a splendid time there. I wouldn't hesitate to stop there again if given the chance.

Above all else, these parks are amusement parks, albeit mismanaged, and are not trying nor meant to compete with Disney theme parks. Walt Disney World is a destination -- something people entire vacations around. Six Flags parks are, as one of their advertising campaigns once pointed out, for day trips. They're a diversion that allow you the chance to do some neat things you won't see elsewhere -- say, fly like Superman -- but they're not purporting to be an encompassing, transforming experience. For that, save your pennies and go somewhere like, oh, Disney?

mickeykid79

Six flags also already had a park in south florida, Six Flags Atlantis, Hurricane Andrew destroy it. I don't think they would built a park in florida in fear of hurricanes. Although i have heard rumors for Paramount to open a park and/or Warner Brothers to open another Studio Park

Hurricane

mickeykid79 said:
Six flags also already had a park in south florida, Six Flags Atlantis, Hurricane Andrew destroy it. I don't think they would built a park in florida in fear of hurricanes. Although i have heard rumors for Paramount to open a park and/or Warner Brothers to open another Studio Park

It was a water park and I still wish I'd been able to go before Andrew. Also a S Florida park isn't advisable because land prices are incredibly high, assembling a plot large enough for a theme/water park would be difficult (though it could happen in west palm, but probably not Dade/Broward

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom