Sinkhole Opens Near WDW

Knothead

I suppose I meant "downtown Clermont" isn't close to WDW. But if you zoom out on any map far enough everywhere is close to anywhere.

Chrononymous

This is just crazy! My mom called me this morning to tell me the news...as the last two times we went to Disney, we stayed at the Summer Bay resort!
We actually even stayed in the building that went into the sinkhole.
Scary.

bethymouse

[quotwere called candy stripers
emo14, post: 5654282, member: 19842"]That's what they used to call the volunteers at the hospital. They have since renamed them to something more official, but the old timers still refer to themselves as "pink ladies". When mom was hospitalized this past winter there, we got an earful from some of her old cronies about that! :D[/quote]
ours eere

PhotoDave219

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...s-up-in-florida-resort-near-disney-world?lite

"A 40-foot-wide sinkhole caused a three-story building at a Florida resort near Disney World to collapse early Monday.

Everyone in the building was evacuated safety before part of it collapsed.

Firefighters arrived at the Summer Bay Resort, near Clermont, Sunday at about 11:30 p.m. ET after people reported the building had started to shake, Lake County Fire Rescue's Battalion Chief Special Operations Tony Cuellar said.

Cuellar said the sinkhole was beneath a central elevator shaft connected by breezeways to two apartment blocks.

“The building on the west side … a portion of that structure just collapsed. It’s literally breaking in half,” he said at about 3:20 a.m. ET.

The elevator building was leaning over at “about 30 or 40 degrees,” Cuellar said.

A building at a Florida resort collapsed early Monday after a sinkhole opened up.

He said 20 people had been living in the building but it had been evacuated and everyone was accounted for. A nearby building with 16 people in it was also evacuated. No injuries were reported.

Cuellar said the hole was about 10 feet deep and 40 feet in diameter.

“It’s not expanding outward so we’re just watching it to see if it’s sinking downward,” he said.

The resort - about 10 miles west of the Disney attraction – had made 50 other rooms available to the evacuees, Cuellar added."

Woo! My Photos!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is a sinkhole in Fla. more dangerous due to the water table?
Sinkholes are dangerous no mater where the water table is. Florida's geology just makes them more common as our "bedrock" is essentially limestone which all but dissolves when water flows past it. The image below is a basic illustration of how sink holes form.

sinkholedevelopmentsteps.jpg

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Sinkholes are dangerous no mater where the water table is. Florida's geology just makes them more common as our "bedrock" is essentially limestone which all but dissolves when water flows past it. The image below is a basic illustration of how sink holes form.

sinkholedevelopmentsteps.jpg
Thank you for your wisdom, Master.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom