Single Guy @ WDW/ Solo Trip?

Cam85z28

Original Poster
I’ve been in a bit of a “life funk” lately. Can’t seem to be truly happy if you will, haven’t been to WDW in years. I’ve always gone with my family, (mom, dad and brothers) and I’ve been trying to plan a family WDW trip but now with everyone working and going to school, nobody seems to have time or really care to make time for a family vacation. I’ve been so busy lately with work and trying to make everyone else happy that I’ve forgotten to make myself happy and could use some magic in my life. I’ve never done a solo trip before, has anyone ever done a solo WDW trip or just solo trip in general before? Was it boring or weird? Opinions anyone?

StarWarsGirl

Well, my uncle likes to come down the same time as us, but he goes off and does his own thing and seems to have a wonderful time. I've gone into the parks by myself. I get strange looks from the CMs, but I have some nice time to myself.

Benefit of being solo: Singles line!

rodserling27

Hey man, welcome to WDWMagic! :)

I can relate about being worried if it's weird....IT'S NOT! Don't worry - it's THE BEST. I myself am a single 26-year old man. I've done two solo trips to WDW, the most recent being a few weeks ago, and I can say that solo trips are the BEST! You do everything at the parks at your own pace, do them when you want, how you want, as often or little as you want. I spent a whole afternoon riding Space Mountain. Why? Because I felt like it. I rode SpaceShip earth three times using my iPod to listen to a different narration each time. Why? Because no one was there to tell me I couldn't! I watched Main Street Electrical Parade in the hub, then RAN through the shops to Frontierland to watch it again before it was over. TWICE!! Why? Because I was by myself and it's what I wanted to do.

That's the best part of going by yourself - you do everything on your own time, no matter how silly or mundane someone else might think it is. (I'm actually a little worried about going with my younger brother in August, because I had such a good time doing things I wanted to do in June! Ha ha!!)
It will only be weird if you make it weird. No one really cares that you're there by yourself - the other gusts are all too busy enjoy/hating their own time in WDW, and the cast members certainly won't make you feel weird, if they even notice. Do it. You'll have the best time. And remember to come back here and tell us all how awesome it was when you're back!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I have done it twice. And it is kinda nice. Yeah, I feel guilty leaving my DD, away at school, DH who just can never find the right time but that fades as soon as I'm in the Cab to the Airport! At times the quiet is nice. The room to myself. There are plenty of people you wind up chatting with on buses, lines, attractions like TT. Single rider lines are great. Park Hopping helps me keep on going. Pool with my Kindle or headphones. I love ending my nights with my peaceful room and getting up when I darn well please. Now these trips were 5 years apart and I do enjoy my family trips but there is something wonderful about escaping the real world for My World.

Go!

mergatroid

Well, my uncle likes to come down the same time as us, but he goes off and does his own thing and seems to have a wonderful time. I've gone into the parks by myself. I get strange looks from the CMs, but I have some nice time to myself.

Benefit of being solo: Singles line!

Before marrying Mrs M I did many solo trips (I've done to odd day solo even after marrying her) and I never got any 'odd looks' from cm's that I could tell. In fact I had a few chat to me in restaurants unless they were just checking out I wasn't some sort of 'weirdo'. I loved going solo and did what I wanted, when I wanted and loved every minute of it.

powlessfamily4

I am just dying for a Solo trip.. Everytime I whisper the word Disney the ENTIRE family piles on for a vacation. One these days I will sneak off and do it... but not in the near future. Right now I am having wayyyyy to much fun with my Granddaughter.

I say go for it. If you don't like it that is just one trip. There are many more to take in your lifetime.

danstpeter

Consider what makes you happy. Imagine some happy times, were any of them alone? Seems like that may answer your question, regardless of your initial answer. For me, contentment is different than happy, Disney is very happy (insert slogan here), bring your contentment with you. Excuse me for now, You said "funk" and I can't turn the internal stereo off, going to turn the external one on.

bgraham34

There have been hundreds of threads on this topic over the years. Solo trips are great, there is no one to slow you down or tell you what they want to do. You can travel at your own pace and eat where you want. Just go and enjoy it. You might even make a few friends along the way.

SyracuseDisneyFan

We're going for a few days next May and then spending the last two at the beach. However, my Mom said whoever wishes to stay at Disney World will have that option. I may consider doing that.

mickeysbrother

I have a gf and a daughter and i still want to do a solo trip... im 30 and just love the fact that i can do everything whenever i want. Go out as late as i want. Sleep in if i want. Just wish there was the adventurers club to laugh my butt off during those crazy nights... Jelly rolls will have to surfice.

barnett

I've been going alone for years and it is the best. I've been with as many as 11 people and enjoy myself more alone. No one has ever looked at me oddly. No one knows why you are alone. I was chatting with a man who's kids were at the hotel sick with his wife and he was saying how much fun he had alone that day. Go and enjoy. You will never want to go with someone else again. :)

Occasional Guest

While I have never done a solo Disney trip, I did spend 3 days touring Chicago while my wife was at a conference there. It was amazing to do all the things I wanted to do. I ended up walking about 6 miles a day and took all the time I wanted in the musuems. I would love to do Disney alone and have been working on going to Anaheim "for business" and staying an extra day.

steviej

I'm an alumni of 2 wdw cp's. My favorite times in the parks were when I was by myself and I got to do what I wanted when I wanted as many times as I wanted.

Do it, do it, do it!!!

My favorite ride is tta, I can understand why everyone wouldn't be that crazy about it, but I lost track of how many times in a row I rode that. You won't be sorry.

Kitchandro

I'm sort of in the same boat as you mate.

I think it would lack a certain something being by yourself instead of friends and loved ones, I think it's better to share it with someone. On the other hand, going by yourself can add a different dimension to things. You can go at your own pace and sort of be alone with your feelings. You could probably appreciate it better on a personal level.

If somebody offered me a a few days on my own at Disney right now I'd take it in a heartbeat. If you're feeling a bit down and Disney makes you feel good I say go for it.

Spikerdink

I have done Disney solo many times. Like the other posters said, it is great going at your own pace and not worrying if this person likes this ride, or this person has to eat at that restaurant. The only time I didn't feel comfortable was at mealtime. I didn't want to do a sit down dinner by myself, so I stuck to quick serves or went back to my DVC room and cooked up something.

One of the best things of being solo was I had time to really go slow and do a lot of people watching....it was great seeing grandparents having fun with their grandchildren...children seeing the castle for the first time....couples in love....couples at war!

StarWarsGirl

Before marrying Mrs M I did many solo trips (I've done to odd day solo even after marrying her) and I never got any 'odd looks' from cm's that I could tell. In fact I had a few chat to me in restaurants unless they were just checking out I wasn't some sort of 'weirdo'. I loved going solo and did what I wanted, when I wanted and loved every minute of it.

Well, I look a little stranger because I'm 18 but look younger and they were probably wondering where my parents were.;)

Minthorne

I could never do a solo trip - I guess I just enjoy having someone there to have fun with. I think that we should have a trip planning post where we junkies can plan solo trips at the same time and have solo-group trip!
Solo shot first...

SyracuseOrange

Lots of good things already being said here, but I'll just add that I am a young single guy, and I've been to WDW, DLR, and DLRP alone. My dad and older brother have also gone to WDW on their own. It can be really relaxing.

Just go for it.

worldtraveler

Go for man. I am going on my first solo trip in November. I got a great deal on it, so I'm going for 7 nights at okw. It might be too long, but I figure that if I don't want to go to the park, I'll just play golf or something outside the parks. I'm hoping I have as good of a time as the rest of these stories. Whatever you choose, hope you get out of the funk. I know how that feels and Disney Definintely helps me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom