1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Simba in the Festival of the Lion King: puppet or animatronic?

Discussion in 'How do they do that?' started by Bairstow, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Paul jr

Paul jr Well-Known Member

Look how Simba move is feet at 29:24 of this video
    I dont see how this could be done from the rockwork.

Bairstow likes this.
  2. Bairstow

Bairstow Well-Known Member Original Poster

It certainly looks like a puppeteer shuffling his feet in there, doesn't it?

3. Evan-500

Evan-500 Well-Known Member

^^ it is, I am confirming it... Worked at Disneyworld this summer... know a lot of people in entertainment.

4. ml123_9

ml123_9 Active Member

Looking at the picture above, there could be something hidden under his mane.

5. castlecake2.0

castlecake2.0 Well-Known Member

I first questioned this when I saw Simba giving hi fives to some of the performers. My Coordinator used to be in the show and told me Simba has a "friend" that helps him perform.

6. minsmk

minsmk Active Member

Yep you are right. I have a friend that works on that show. Basically, the head is not on and it only goes up to the chest when they get in. Then the mane is brought in and velcro-ed in. Then they lower the head on (Which actually isn't on their head, it's more like chest up.) and they are done. Simba has a camera in his nose and a video screen in the head.

bingie likes this.
  7. Phineas

Phineas Well-Known Member

It's a puppet. My parents once ran into acquaintances when the show was over, and they got to talking. My brother and I were left waiting, and the floats with the characters were still on stage. I faced Simba, waved, and he reacted, moved his feet, and bowed to me.

Wikkler and Bairstow like this.
  8. punkabella

punkabella Active Member

I definitely know it's a puppeteer inside because when we saw it a few weeks ago, a kid waved at Simba and he waved back with his paw, and it didn't happen any other time. He also did things that were targeted to specific children who were picked to help dance.

9. mouse-eared-muffin

mouse-eared-muffin Member

Ok, sorry this is a really old thread, but I was browsing the "How do they do it" forums,and omg this Simba is simply amazing imo. I'm definitely going to have to go to this show if I ever go to WDW again.