shutting down attractions

raven

This is all done after guests have exited the areas. It's a part of the process that's done by the attractions CMs before they leave for the night. After they leave, 3rd shift maintenence and custodial take over each attraction to ready it for the next day. Some rides are tested and ran all night long.

joanna71985

Vehicles aren't necessarily pulled off after park close. At GMR, they can be pulled off while the park is still open and running

DisneySaint

At Soarin' it's a simple power-down. Attractions with actual moving vehicles are generally brought "in the back" so maintenance can run their nightly drills on them. There's a ton of QA that goes on every night with the attractions in regards to safety.

dmc493

In many of the slow water boat rides (pirates, living with the land, mexico,splash mountain, etc.) you can see the tunnel where they are taken that diverges off from where you go. Additional storage for the boats.

stitch2008

how do they shut down attractions for the night?
such as putting away trains

For a roller coaster, it kinda goes like this.

The ride is cycled through till the coaster trains are at block points. Block points are positions on the ride circuit where the train can be brought to a complete stop. A normal coaster has 2 or 3. However some coasters, like Everest, have as many as 5. Block points can be breaks or chain lifts.

The next step is Stand By mode. Modern steel coasters are put into this mode so the track transfer can begin. Here are examples of train transfers to and from maintenance.

Transfer On
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62otQDov8F4

Transfer Off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ7c7tP3x5I

That moving track piece will move back to the normal position and then train transfer is complete. After that, you shut the ride down. It's about as easy as turning off your car, computer and lightbulbs. It's very simple. Just a push of a few buttons and usually a turn of a key and the ride is off.

A1st

(Sorry about the bump!)

But, would a ride like The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh take it's vehicles off? I mean they are all enclosed...

Rob562

In cases like Winnie the Pooh, I'd presume that they leave most of the cars along the ride track overnight and only pull off ones that they need to work on/inspect that night.

The maintenance bay most likely also doesn't have room for the full fleet of vehicles at one time. I know Energy's bay can only hold one or two vehicles at one time, Tower of Terror's can only hold a couple on each side, etc.

Even the monorail doesn't park all 12 trains in the barn every night (they only have garage spaces for 10 trains). Two are left out on the beams, parked in stations (MK or TTC usually) when the beam gets powered down for the night.

-Rob

Rob562

This may be a silly question but how do they put the Liberty Belle in dry dock for maintenance?

Depends on where they're parking her.

There's space backstage in the canal to park her for work (which was done a few years back) between the railroad bridge and the canal lock. The bridge rotates to open up access to the canal. Presumably there's a switch of some kind underwater (like the switch in/out of the storage area at Jungle Cruise) to switch the boat to a guide rail that would steer her safely past the bridge, but I believe it ends before the lock.

If they need to move her to the main dry dock north of the Contemporary, they have a tug boat of some kind come and move her across Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. (The steamboat is free-floating. The tug at least steers, though I'm not sure if the riverboat provides her own power via the paddlewheel or if the tug tows/pushes her)

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom