Shouldnt WDW be a high priority?

MickeyMind

Original Poster
Shouldnt the company be paying more attention to wdw? I know dca's revamp was pre-approved before the whole "economy" situation but shouldnt disney be making wdw more of a priority?

Its competitions are doing things during this time, adding the kinds of big scale things wdw should be doing( potter)

Why would disney get so complacent on their theme park high horse, just excpecting ppl to come by adding some of the most mediocre reasons to return (sitch's celebration?)

Sure at this time with all the current deals and free passes wdw is giving out, people are still coming, but are people really going to keep coming back when even the average guest is starting to notice the cut corners, the downturn in service and quality, the fact that they spend so much money just to wait on massive lines for EVERYTHING, shows cut back, no substantial progress (the average guest isnt going to plop down more than 1,000 to take their family just to see a revamped space mountain)

Isnt wdw one of the most profitable parts of the company?
Even if dca's revamp was preapproved, shouldnt wdw be given more attention too? I mean I thought dl was more of a locals based park, but wdw draws visitors from all around the world. and with alot more people hearing more and more things of the tokyo parks too, would that not eventually make a difference with the asian tourists choosing to go there instead of the stale world wdw is becoming?

Fanboys are questioning whether or not the little mermaid is going to wdw.. shouldnt that have been approved even before dca's mermaid? I mean you'll probably draw plenty of locals in disneyland with a new ride like that, but wouldnt you draw more international tourists if you did it in wdw?

We all know wdw doesnt need to do much to draw a crowd, what they have right now seems to be sufficient, but for how long is that gonna last?

Bigger things need to happen at wdw again, In my opinion its the company's most special resort, sure dl is equally important because it was the first but isnt wdw like their cash cow?

I'm sorry for the rant. I just really love wdw with a huge nostalgic part of my heart, and I wish the enthusiastic spirit of progress wdw had during the 80s and especially the 90s was still around today, but it seems like wdw is comfortable just by beefing up the marketing and cutting back on the entertainment.. lets face it, the majority of people dont come for shows or a cheap celebration gimmick they come for the rides.. and more rides is what they need now.

Any chance the OLC would be interested in "investing" in wdw?

end rant.

EvanAnderson

It's because they realized people will visit WDW no matter what. It's the Disney name that draws people there, and it's Disney World. People will go to Disney World, therefore they don't have to spend money making the parks better because it's gonna make millions whether they do anything or not.

alecshawn

M.K. is Disneys BEST park.
Yes, D.L. is absolutely perfect. But, the M.K. and ALL of WDW is a step up.
I dont se how one could think WDW isnt a priority.
The parks are spotless (as always) and in excellent shape.
I/We have never been disappointed.

goodtimes5286

It's because they realized people will visit WDW no matter what. It's the Disney name that draws people there, and it's Disney World. People will go to Disney World, therefore they don't have to spend money making the parks better because it's gonna make millions whether they do anything or not.
People said the same thing about Disneyland back in the day, but in a couple years it'll be 3 if not 4 overall attendance. DLP and TDL are increasing (5.8 & 2.7 percent), and DL, whose already being killed by WDW, had a 1% decrease in attendance. :eek:

Attendance increased in 2007 from 2006, but in 2008 it was flat, if they don't do something (which it looks like they are now), and they just let the park fall apart, people WILL stop visiting (and by that i mean 17+ million a year).

goodtimes5286

MickeyMind the following article regarding Universal's Harry Potter 2010 VS. WDW is well worth reading: http://www.yesterland.com/harrypotter.html Also note the latest story is that Universal's Park is 1 Billion $$$ in DEBT :eek: & may be heading for serious fianancial issues in 2009 & beyond??? Duckberg :cool:
Also nice article, I didn't think about how tourism would increase to the area, but STILL, universal/IoA's numbers will go up. That's maybe why Disney is stagnating the openings across different parks and months. If EVERYTHING opens up for IoA at one time, people come and they enjoy it. But if WDW keeps building attractions, one a year at every park, 1 every 3 months average, that means that guests will plan to come back every couple of months in order to enjoy the new attractions OR when they come to the area they will hit all 4 disney parks.

Yes harry potter could help disney, but only if they have some sort of a draw too. 2008 had no draw for epcot or MK and what happened to the numbers? Flat! Hopefully the higher ups see this now (or saw this a couple months ago) and thats why there greenlighting so much stuff.

Dragonrider1227

Disney alone can sell WDW. Especially the Magic Kingdom. It still gets high crowds. DCA, not so much. I think it makes economical sense to work on the park that needs the most attention and right now, that's DCA. And if there are lack luster attendance, than it's the fault of the economy. Not the mediocre attractions. People don't have the money to go and making new attractions isn't going to magiclly PUT money in their pockets
Plus, maybe Disney is sick of all Disneyland fanboys whining "Why aren't you doing more in Disneyland? Disneyland was first! Do more there!" and such

castevens

While I agree with you, this is the exact reason they SHOULD be building there :)

goodtimes5286

Disney alone can sell WDW. Especially the Magic Kingdom. It still gets high crowds. DCA, not so much. I think it makes economical sense to work on the park that needs the most attention and right now, that's DCA. And if there are lack luster attendance, than it's the fault of the economy. Not the mediocre attractions. People don't have the money to go and making new attractions isn't going to magiclly PUT money in their pockets
attendance is flat, so if you dont wanna see a 2009 decline, they need to build or discount EVERYWHERE, not pick and choose which parks to give love too. I know they have to discount now, but Disney isnt a fan of just giving money away, so they need to (and are beginning to) build. That way they can improve there parks AND get attendance instead of keeping there parks the same, giving away money, and getting the same return they would if they built/revamped attractions.

castevens

attendance is flat, so if you dont wanna see a 2009 decline, they need to build or discount EVERYWHERE, not pick and choose which parks to give love too. I know they have to discount now, but Disney isnt a fan of just giving money away, so they need to (and are beginning to) build. That way they can improve there parks AND get attendance instead of keeping there parks the same, giving away money, and getting the same return they would if they built/revamped attractions.
With all the reports of crowd sizes and capacity closures (albeit only for a 1-2 week period), I think the attendance will either be flat or go up this year. But as a company, they will be pulling in a TON less money due to the deep discounts. Although their expenses will be less too after the cuts

Dragonrider1227

But what good is building new attractions when no one currently has the money to come see them?

goodtimes5286

But what good is building new attractions when no one currently has the money to come see them?
:lol:, apparently people do. Have you seen WDW lately?

And your right, maybe every time the news wants to panic people with the R word, they should just neglect the park and let it fall apart. yeah that's it, let it fall apart :drevil:

EpcotServo

S'all about Geography. See, the Eastern Seaboard is on the FRINGE of one of the world's many "Awesome Lay lines" so we only get residual awesome. For full on awesome, go to the places where awesome energy concentrates. Namely most of Japan, and select portions of California and Europe.

See also "The Bermuda Triangle of SUCK".

Dragonrider1227

:lol:, apparently people do. Have you seen WDW lately?

And your right, maybe every time the news wants to panic people with the R word, they should just neglect the park and let it fall apart. yeah that's it, let it fall apart :drevil:
LOL There's a difference between building attractions and just maintaining your park. I'm just saying I understand why in the recession Disney isn't LEAPING to build the next big expansion just yet

goodtimes5286

LOL There's a difference between building attractions and just maintaining your park. I'm just saying I understand why in the recession Disney isn't LEAPING to build the next big expansion just yet
Well they wern't last year, but this year it seams like they've realized there error (b/c there 2 highest attended were flat from the year before), hence the SM, TTA, and TLM green lighting (i believe).

Also DHS saw the greatest increase between the 3 (b/c of TSMM which they added 1/2 way into the year), so they must have put two and two together (parks with no additions no sale increases, park with, occupancy increase) and decided that going back to the old ways of park management.

But with all this talk of DAK expansion, Pixar place and lucas land (or maybe just star tours 2.0), SM TTA and TLM dark ride, my new question is, what about epcot? I mean we all know what they could BE doing to make it's sales jump, but what actually ARE they doing?

Is WDW possibly waiting to see if occupancy at DAK, MK, and DHS vindicates all of this park improvement? (before they lay the dollars for Epcot's improvement) Or has all of the stuff going down at the other three places overshadowed the work going down at Epcot?

castevens

Well they wern't last year, but this year it seams like they've realized there error (b/c there 2 highest attended were flat from the year before), hence the SM, TTA, and TLM green lighting (i believe).
As I've said before, I really hope they do a (modest) TTA refurbishment instead of just closing it down as a liability closure from the construction at SM

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom