Shouldn't Storybook Circus be its own land and not part of Fantasyland?

Animaniac93-98

I don't think "Fantasy" has to be strictly Western European in ist flavor, even in the context of WDW's Fantasyland. The area used to have a tropical lagoon with steampunk submarines and Dumbo takes place in the USA. I think the train station is fine because it suits the look of the surrounding area.

I think the Tangled bathrooms are more out of place in Fantasyland West as they do not match the alpine aesthetic, or have the proper scale, colour or angular design of "old Fantasyland" which was more realistically proportioned.

mharrington

Original Poster
I would've liked one akin to Paris's, but I think that for the theming of a small rural town (which is what SC is) it works well.
But "small rural town" is not the first thing I think of when I think of Fantasyland. The first thing I think of is European fairy tales.

Sharon&Susan

That's because it wasn't a Fantasyland station originally. They just decided to start calling it Fantasyland station like a decade ago.
It was redesigned when it became part of Fantasyland, the train station had an industrial look to it when it was in Toontown Fair:
1634354119489.png

UNCgolf

It was redesigned when it became part of Fantasyland, the train station had an industrial look to it when it was in Toontown Fair:
View attachment 593747

But now it's in Storybook Circus, which also isn't medieval European. It's more of an offshoot of Main Street USA as small town America. Which I guess goes with the overall subject of this thread -- that Storybook Circus doesn't really feel like it's part of Fantasyland.

I agree that Fantasyland doesn't need to only be medieval Europe (and it hasn't been), but I think a early 20th century circus is a pretty big stretch.

mharrington

Original Poster
On a somewhat unrelated matter, some have speculated adding a Pinocchio ride to Storybook Circus, as they once considered for Dumbo's Circusland at Disneyland before that project was nixed (the Pinocchio ride did get built, as part of the 1983 Fantasyland overhaul).

I have to ask: how does a story about a wooden puppet set in Italy (or Germanic Italy) make any sense in a Midwestern setting like Storybook Circus?

Djsfantasi

I don't think "Fantasy" has to be strictly Western European in ist flavor, even in the context of WDW's Fantasyland. The area used to have a tropical lagoon with steampunk submarines and Dumbo takes place in the USA. I think the train station is fine because it suits the look of the surrounding area.

I think the Tangled bathrooms are more out of place in Fantasyland West as they do not match the alpine aesthetic, or have the proper scale, colour or angular design of "old Fantasyland" which was more realistically proportioned.

But the Tangled bathrooms are in the transition area between Liberty Square and Fantasyland. As such, they aren’t as jarring to me.

doctornick

On a somewhat unrelated matter, some have speculated adding a Pinocchio ride to Storybook Circus, as they once considered for Dumbo's Circusland at Disneyland before that project was nixed (the Pinocchio ride did get built, as part of the 1983 Fantasyland overhaul).

I have to ask: how does a story about a wooden puppet set in Italy (or Germanic Italy) make any sense in a Midwestern setting like Storybook Circus?
The outside of the ride could have a bold design consistent with the rest of Storybook Circus’ aesthetic - like being a “big top” tent advertising seeing a puppet without strings. That keeps it consistent with the land. Then the inside ride is more or less a clone.

That’s not really any different from (say) IASW having a medieval tent look on the outside and the inside not reflecting that all including having more contemporary aspects.

mharrington

Original Poster
The outside of the ride could have a bold design consistent with the rest of Storybook Circus’ aesthetic - like being a “big top” tent advertising seeing a puppet without strings. That keeps it consistent with the land. Then the inside ride is more or less a clone.

Really? So the ride would still end with Pinocchio at home in Geppetto's workshop? I know that would be very much out of place in a circus, let alone an American circus.

That’s not really any different from (say) IASW having a medieval tent look on the outside and the inside not reflecting that all including having more contemporary aspects.

Small World gets in a side door by being a tour of the world.

mharrington

Original Poster
To @doctornick, you had proposed doing a clone of Disneyland's Pinocchio ride in one of the circus tents of Storybook Circus. But you had also said "clone", which I take to mean that the ride would still end with Pinocchio at home in Geppetto's workshop. I know that would be very much out of place in a circus, let alone a Midwestern American circus. How would you be able to fit the Pinocchio ride into the area?

rreading

1. I should think that Pinocchio should fit into the circus well enough. Unfortunately they’re planning far worse out in Frontierland.

2. The only problem with the train station is that it’s labeled the Fantasyland station. Were it the Storybook Station there wouldn’t be anything to fuss about

mharrington

Original Poster
1. I should think that Pinocchio should fit into the circus well enough. Unfortunately they’re planning far worse out in Frontierland.

But it would have to be heavily modified to fit the American circus theme, as the ride in Disneyland begins and ends in a very European village, with the ending in particular set in Geppetto's home. And even before that, there's the confrontation with Monstro the whale out at the water's edge.

In my opinion, a Pinocchio ride in an American circus just as thematically egregious as a ride themed to "The Princess and the Frog" in Frontierland. In fact, it would be even more egregious.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom