Should we visit Kennedy Space Center?

Ann S

Original Poster
Hi. I have 10 full days of WDW with an 8 day park hopper ticket. I think we will have a free day and was wondering if we should make the trip to see KSC?

I am also traveling to WDW 9/9-9/20 so the parks shouldn't be that crowded. This is why I think we will have extra time to see an amazing place outside WDW parks.

Any thoughts?

afar28

To me, Kennedy Space Center wasn't all that amazing. It was still was a good time but didn't reach my expectations, maybe because I had high expectations though :shrug: If you are interested in space then you should go, if you aren't you shouldn't.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Yes, KSC deserves every bit of a visit. As of right now you can go inside of the Vehicle Assembly Building on one of the tours offered. The recreation of the Apollo firing room and simulation of a launch within it is truly a great experience. Viewing the Saturn V Rocket suspended on the Apollo Center is a thrilling site. Very VeryVERY worth a visit if you like education items that are fun and not afraid to learn some.

MattC

I would say yes. But I love science and space travel. There are cool things to see and learn. The Saturn V rocket is an awesome site too.

Kramerica

To me, Kennedy Space Center wasn't all that amazing. It was still was a good time but didn't reach my expectations, maybe because I had high expectations though :shrug: If you are interested in space then you should go, if you aren't you shouldn't.

What they said.

HouCuseChickie

I think it depends on you and how much you're into the space program. We love visiting things like this...in fact, I was just at Johnson Space Center last week. Atlantis won't arrive until November and won't go on display until July 2013, and while not 100% on this- I don't think there are any launches scheduled for your dates, but there is still a lot to see and do there. It's very cool to see the real pieces history along with current things in operation.

Alternately, it's not cheap (although not WDW $$$)...so if you're not really into all of this...you might try another park, possibly even head to Tampa for Busch Gardens or maybe even a day at the beach.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Yes, KSC deserves every bit of a visit. As of right now you can go inside of the Vehicle Assembly Building on one of the tours offered. The recreation of the Apollo firing room and simulation of a launch within it is truly a great experience. Viewing the Saturn V Rocket suspended on the Apollo Center is a thrilling site. Very VeryVERY worth a visit if you like education items that are fun and not afraid to learn some.

Overall the Space Center Tour is certainly not for everyone but if you have any sort of interest in space travel and the space program I would recommend it. I took the Vehicle Assembly Building tour a few weeks ago and ended up seeing the space shuttle Atlantis which is being stored inside the VAB while the new building to display it at the Visitor Center is being constructed.

Space Shuttle Atlantis by Don Sullivan, on Flickr

Inside the VAB by Don Sullivan, on Flickr

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
As others have said, yes if you are into space. We went last year and had a good time. Most of the information and displays were focused on the heyday of the space program like in the 1960's. I would have liked to have seen more displays from more current missions. But it was cool to see the Saturn Rocket, and to touch a moon rock. Oh and when we went the last shuttle ever to launch was on the launch pad so that was cool to see, probably nothing really left to see in that spot now but an empty launch pad.

TERRILYNN

My husband and I went in 2006, we didn't like it at all. The exhibits were good but we wasted all day doing nothing and waiting on buses. Everything was so spread out you had to take a bus from one part to the next, and they wouldn't come back for a really long time, so we were just stuck sitting there waiting for a bus when we were done looking around, then they would fill really fast so we had to sit and wait more for another one. Finally we found a bus that was going back to the main building and were able to get on it and just left. We wasted most of the day just waiting to get a ride.

Freshee61

My votes for definitely yes. Just as others have mentioned you do have to pay and you do have to arrive early if you want to get the full experience.

Magical Dreamer

My answer, or question would be .....why aren't you spending the extra $$ to get a 10 day park hopper. The adult ticket price difference from a 8 day park hopper to a 10 day park hopper is $20....can't beat that value.

I'd cancel the shuttle mission and stay in the parks.

Ann S

Original Poster
Overall the Space Center Tour is certainly not for everyone but if you have any sort of interest in space travel and the space program I would recommend it. I took the Vehicle Assembly Building tour a few weeks ago and ended up seeing the space shuttle Atlantis which is being stored inside the VAB while the new building to display it at the Visitor Center is being constructed.

Space Shuttle Atlantis by Don Sullivan, on Flickr

Inside the VAB by Don Sullivan, on Flickr

WOW! How awesome. That's for the photos. Yes, we like educational stuff and history as well.

Ann S

Original Poster
My answer, or question would be .....why aren't you spending the extra $$ to get a 10 day park hopper. The adult ticket price difference from a 8 day park hopper to a 10 day park hopper is $20....can't beat that value.

I'd cancel the shuttle mission and stay in the parks.

Well, I got 8 day park hopper tickets AND 5 day water park tickets all $220.00 each. Good from Sept 9-25.

You can't be that price....it's a secret that not many people know about. I don't mind seeing more of Florida.

Walt Disney1955

To the OP, for starters, you will have some very lenient crowds on your trip. I went to WDW from September 26th-October 10th, 2009. All the other non-Disney parks had lower crowds too. That being said, if you have a spare day it all depends on what you haven't seen yet. You didn't really specify. If you haven't seen Universal yet you should see that over Kennedy. Or even Sea World.

From my own personal experience I can say that I did not enjoy Kennedy. I was 15 in 1995 when I went. But then again, I was a teenager. I didn't want to learn. I also was indifferent about Epcot in 1995 but loved it in 2009 so I might enjoy Kennedy more today. I will say this, if you are interested in Space you should not miss it.

hellowonderland

My husband is REALLY into space travel / the space program, so he loves going to Kennedy Space Centre. I enjoyed it too -- think it's well worth it. Educational, sobering, thrilling and the Vehicle Assembly Building has to be seen to be believed. Overall, I think it's something everyone should see -- a piece of human history and with the shuttle program over with, it takes on a new light.

Plus it's in a stunning part of Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom