Should we visit Kennedy Space Center?

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Absolutely! We're a homeschoolin' family. We love to find learning everywhere we can. Even before we started this homeschooling adventure, soaking up interesting stuff we didn't already know was always fun for us. Everything you said is soooo true. Yep, NASA has been a very integral part of the lives of most people although very few stop to think about it. Plus, the historic significance of the accomplishments that were made. Astronauts (for the most part) are true heros! Especially the early guys... read this article and it totally lends a whole new perspective. People should go to KSC and to Johnson (aka Space Center Houston). Go see where the launches happened! Come see the actual Mission Control and training facilities! Just a few months ago I was driving past Ellington Field on Hwy 3 (not far from Johnson Space Center) and spotted NASA's Guppy sitting out. Talk about a freak-out! I was afraid my youngest & I would get jacked by security for driving all over the place in circles trying to get a good picture of the real life Vomit Comet! LOL!

Hubby read that there was a delay in the Endeavor heading west (something to do with weather). He's been watching the bulletins and things for air traffic coming up this week. It's looking like she'll be arriving on Tuesday and only staying overnight. I'm sure we'll drive over to Ellington several times between Tuesday & Wednesday to get pics. Ideally we'd like to actually see the 747 fly in & out w/Endeavor piggy-backin'. I'll try to get pics if we manage to figure out the exact timing.

Definitely makes me want to plan a day-trip to KSC next time we're sailing out of PC next year with the family.

It's impact on history is not realized by this generation of so called social issues (as far politically as I will go). The real things and accomplisments are lost in time. I live near a few astronauts (under ten miles from Langley) and they are some of the most interesting people that I know. They are my driving force behind acquiring my degree. Being in the Hampton Roads area History is an integral apart of society and public private education. I have seen launches at Wallops and watched launches from Pearl Young center at Langley with current engineers and retired from STS-1; all the way to one guy who was Mercury.

Good for you being able to see it. I remember one time when I was young (10 maybe?) when Atlantis (see user title and avatar and quote) was being piggy backed they touched down in Hampton. Amazing site, make sure you see it as there is nothing like it!

sweetpee_1993

That's very cool stuff, indeed! We're huge aviation buffs here so the space love goes hand-in-hand. When I was a kid growing up in Central Florida seeing so many shuttles go up from the school playground or our front yard didn't seem all that special. My boys are totally amazed by the fact that I physically watched the Challenger's final launch with my own eyes. It's all important stuff, for sure, that is not going to be completely lost as long as there's people like you & me anxious to understand it all. It'll be interesting to see how Orion fares in the years to come. We're watching and waiting as I'm sure you are, too! And just think, it's all history in the making...stuff that one day there will be exhibits in museums and we'll all be able to say, "I remember when..."

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
That's very cool stuff, indeed! We're huge aviation buffs here so the space love goes hand-in-hand. When I was a kid growing up in Central Florida seeing so many shuttles go up from the school playground or our front yard didn't seem all that special. My boys are totally amazed by the fact that I physically watched the Challenger's final launch with my own eyes. It's all important stuff, for sure, that is not going to be completely lost as long as there's people like you & me anxious to understand it all. It'll be interesting to see how Orion fares in the years to come. We're watching and waiting as I'm sure you are, too! And just think, it's all history in the making...stuff that one day there will be exhibits in museums and we'll all be able to say, "I remember when..."

The sky is not the limit but the infinite! I am halfway through my level one private pilot's license. I LOVE the sky and space even more. That is stunning you were able to see so many launch for heavily sad about seeing Challenger incident. Orion will be interesting. Sad that Constellation was canned because of a certain someone's ego but excellent Lockheed gave the same guy a big FU by funding its further development with their own coin. SLS is getting good, I visit Langley regularly (good friends with several employees) so I get to see the progress regularly. Constellation had my excitement for the reasons you said about history. I saw the Wind tunnel model for Area I-X on pad as it was being built and completed, Orion mockup for Area I-X, gantry tests, and so much more. I was so excited about knowing I would see these items in a museum one day as the early stages of sending man to Mars. BUT! we know what happened with that.

The Mighty Tim

I was there in September, but I didn't get to go inside the VAB. I didn't even know visitors could do that. I've always wanted to go in there.

Anyway, one piece of advice I have for anyone visiting the KSC. On the bus tour, sit on the right hand side of the bus. The majority of the cool stuff is out that side. I found this out the hard way.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Hi. I have 10 full days of WDW with an 8 day park hopper ticket. I think we will have a free day and was wondering if we should make the trip to see KSC?

I am also traveling to WDW 9/9-9/20 so the parks shouldn't be that crowded. This is why I think we will have extra time to see an amazing place outside WDW parks.

Any thoughts?
We always schedule in at least a day or two coming or going. That being said my ds is a space buff wants to be an engineer. It is very interesting and eduational but it isn't Disney.

bow0303

We're thinking about doing KSC during our next visit. Can anyone advise if this is an all day event or just half a day? Thanks.

Figgy1

Premium Member
We're thinking about doing KSC during our next visit. Can anyone advise if this is an all day event or just half a day? Thanks.
If you or any member of your family has any interest in space exploration at all it's at least a full day. We've done 2 days there some trips. Just the Atlantis exhibit can take several hours. It was so well done!!!!!!!!!! Almost Disney good!

bow0303

If you or any member of your family has any interest in space exploration at all it's at least a full day. We've done 2 days there some trips. Just the Atlantis exhibit can take several hours. It was so well done!!!!!!!!!! Almost Disney good!

Thanks for the info. Have you visited the Angry Birds exhibit? My boys love that and think they would really enjoy it.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Thanks for the info. Have you visited the Angry Birds exhibit? My boys love that and think they would really enjoy it.
Yes we did the Angry Birds stuff. My youngest is a big fan. There's not too much to it but it was fun. The best thing we did there was 2 years ago when we went for Star Trek summer. BTW look for alligators in all the moats. We always find a few.

Figgy1

Premium Member
The sky is not the limit but the infinite! I am halfway through my level one private pilot's license. I LOVE the sky and space even more. That is stunning you were able to see so many launch for heavily sad about seeing Challenger incident. Orion will be interesting. Sad that Constellation was canned because of a certain someone's ego but excellent Lockheed gave the same guy a big FU by funding its further development with their own coin. SLS is getting good, I visit Langley regularly (good friends with several employees) so I get to see the progress regularly. Constellation had my excitement for the reasons you said about history. I saw the Wind tunnel model for Area I-X on pad as it was being built and completed, Orion mockup for Area I-X, gantry tests, and so much more. I was so excited about knowing I would see these items in a museum one day as the early stages of sending man to Mars. BUT! we know what happened with that.
I just noticed your post. How are the flying lessons going?

Unless you are really interested then it is not worth the trip. I loved it but the rest of my family would rather have done something else . Have your ever done discovery cove dolphin swim. It is the most relaxing day you will have in Orlando. Definitely worth the money

Nick Wilde

There's one ride at KSC and it's the Space Shuttle Launch Simulator. If you've been on Mission: Space at Epcot, BE WARNED!! The SSLS is very bland compared to Mission: Space.

Bairstow

Just wanted to necro the thread and recommend that people check out the Space Center. Prior to visiting, none of us were particularly interested in the space program but figured we'd give the place a chance. We arrived at 9 and didn't leave until after 4, and that was with skipping both the Imax movies on site AND the astronaut hall of fame down the road, all of which were included with our admission. We didn't pay for any of the add-on ticket options either- just the based admission was more than enough to occupy us.
Really great museum here that should appeal to both fans of history or themed entertainment fans in general. There's no Splash Mountain here, but people who enjoy the kind of stagecraft on display at Disney's parks will really appreciate some of the tricks pulled off here. Theme park shenanigans aside, a lot of the things on display here, like Atlantis and the Apollo 14 modules just deserve to be stared at and admired for several minutes, which we did. I would certainly recommend doing the bus tour to the Apollo museum first thing when it opens because waiting in line for the buses is lame. The only thing that really bugged me was the goofy, historically inaccurate intro film they show you during the first part of the Atlantis preshow.

Since getting back from the trip I've been on a bit of a space travel kick, watching Apollo 11, The Martian, and a bunch of NASA and Soviet space program documentaries on Youtube.

There's one ride at KSC and it's the Space Shuttle Launch Simulator. If you've been on Mission: Space at Epcot, BE WARNED!! The SSLS is very bland compared to Mission: Space.

I actually preferred the launch simulator to Mission:Space, especially the cool preshow room. It's definitely got some unexpected tricks up its sleeve for a simulator.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Just wanted to necro the thread and recommend that people check out the Space Center. Prior to visiting, none of us were particularly interested in the space program but figured we'd give the place a chance. We arrived at 9 and didn't leave until after 4, and that was with skipping both the Imax movies on site AND the astronaut hall of fame down the road, all of which were included with our admission. We didn't pay for any of the add-on ticket options either- just the based admission was more than enough to occupy us.
Really great museum here that should appeal to both fans of history or themed entertainment fans in general. There's no Splash Mountain here, but people who enjoy the kind of stagecraft on display at Disney's parks will really appreciate some of the tricks pulled off here. Theme park shenanigans aside, a lot of the things on display here, like Atlantis and the Apollo 14 modules just deserve to be stared at and admired for several minutes, which we did. I would certainly recommend doing the bus tour to the Apollo museum first thing when it opens because waiting in line for the buses is lame. The only thing that really bugged me was the goofy, historically inaccurate intro film they show you during the first part of the Atlantis preshow.

Since getting back from the trip I've been on a bit of a space travel kick, watching Apollo 11, The Martian, and a bunch of NASA and Soviet space program documentaries on Youtube.

I actually preferred the launch simulator to Mission:Space, especially the cool preshow room. It's definitely got some unexpected tricks up its sleeve for a simulator.

I haven't seen the film before the Atlantis pre-show, but I'm curious to know how it was historically inaccurate.

Bairstow

I haven't seen the film before the Atlantis pre-show, but I'm curious to know how it was historically inaccurate.

The film takes a lot of liberties with the identities of the shuttle's designers and portays them as naive to the point of being child-like. Presumably, the film does this to humanize and dramatize the design process of the shuttle and explain the challenges therein, but the presentation stands in contrast to the similar elements at the Apollo center, which did not shy away from the social realities of the time of the project.

Overall, the Apollo exhibit comes across as being intended for an adult audience, and a lot of the Atlantis center is aimed at elementary schoolchildren.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
The film takes a lot of liberties with the identities of the shuttle's designers and portays them as naive to the point of being child-like. Presumably, the film does this to humanize and dramatize the design process of the shuttle and explain the challenges therein, but the presentation stands in contrast to the similar elements at the Apollo center, which did not shy away from the social realities of the time of the project.

Overall, the Apollo exhibit comes across as being intended for an adult audience, and a lot of the Atlantis center is aimed at elementary schoolchildren.

Ok. I went in 2011 and saw the Atlantis on the launchpad and I really liked the center. It is interesting that they would "dumb" down (for lact of a better term) the information for the Atlantis exhibit. A lot of museums do a good job keeping the attention of all levels without making things child-like.

mergatroid

Not been for about 10 years but was thinking about going one day this trip. My wife will 'tolerate it' as long as I pay for her and buy her dinner so looks like we'll give it a go this year. Anyone know if you can still get any discounted tickets anymore, I'm sure last time you could get about $5 off each with Pepsi vouchers?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I am planning to visit Kennedy Space Center during my next trip in September. We plan to rent a car and drive from WDW to KSC, does anyone know what kind of traffic problems we are likely to run into? Is any day of the week better then another?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom