Should we go to Disney Thanksgiving Week?

dizfamilyfun

After reading these boards for over a year, I finally deciced to join. YEAH!

So my first post will be to get some trip planning advice. My family just found out that we will have an opportunity for a quick trip to Disney during the Thanksgiving break. We would arrive on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and depart on the Sunday after. IS THIS ADVISEABLE? What are crowds like? We have gone to Disney twice before - October 2004 and Mother's Day Weekend 2005. BOth time were enjoyable crowd wise and we didn't have too much waiting time. How does that compare that to this trip we are planning?

Then, what activities will be going on in the parks then? Osbourne Family Lights, Holidays Around the World?

Looking forward to hearing from all you "old pros!"

nibblesandbits

I have never been during Thanksgiving, but I have heard it's pretty crowded, especially the exact time that you are going. If you do decide to go though, I hope you have a wonderful time anyway!

Upvote 0

gjpjtj

Come join the fun!! We too will be at WDW during that period. I have heard it is usually pretty crowded that week, so we are arriving the day after Thanksgiving, and leaving on December 4th. From what I understand after Sunday it empties out. I was there during Presidents week this year, and it was crowded, but not unbearable. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this trip will be similar........and congratulations on your first post, what took you so long? :animwink:

Upvote 0

Shellybelle

We're going the week of Thanksgiving, too. I've heard to expect large crowds, but I'm going to relax in the thought that my family is all together at Disney and make the best of it. I'm excited because this will be the first time for us to see the Christmas decor and our first time to the MVMCP. If you get the chance, GO! Life's too short and if you don't go, you may spend that week thinking "what if?"

Upvote 0

dannytaylor

dizfamilyfun said:
After reading these boards for over a year, I finally deciced to join. YEAH!

So my first post will be to get some trip planning advice. My family just found out that we will have an opportunity for a quick trip to Disney during the Thanksgiving break. We would arrive on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and depart on the Sunday after. IS THIS ADVISEABLE? What are crowds like? We have gone to Disney twice before - October 2004 and Mother's Day Weekend 2005. BOth time were enjoyable crowd wise and we didn't have too much waiting time. How does that compare that to this trip we are planning?

Then, what activities will be going on in the parks then? Osbourne Family Lights, Holidays Around the World?

Looking forward to hearing from all you "old pros!"
Me and my family went lasy year at thankgiving and this year in july,and i'll tell you what if i was to go back (and i will )it will be at thankgiving or at christmas.The lights and the all around experiance at disney was just alot better for everyone,i would most highly recomend that you go and have a magical disney time,you will not be disappointed.

Upvote 0

disneytati

I've been to WDW at Thanksgiving, and, well... the crowds didn't bother me that much. I don't know if it's because I was used to July crowds, or if the xmas decorations are just too beautiful for you to worry about anything. I am going for Thanksgiving again this year. It's a wonderful time to visit WDW!!! Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

amy71pooh

When Should we go?

I am also new to this website and I love Disney!!!! I am so excited to be a part of this group of people who love anything Disney and have given me so much information! I thought I knew ALOT about DisneyWorld but I have soooooooo much to learn! We also like to go to Disney during the off season and have never went during a major holiday. I have always heard rumors of the parks closing because of the crowds and wouldn't want to be there during that! We have to budget every penny and I wouldn't want to spend half(or more!) of my time waiting in line for anything. Since we had kids we go during the value season either Jan. or Feb. I have no experience going any other time but would like to know if we are missing anything by going then. We aren't interested in water parks because there are some in our area that we could visit anytime if we choose but I think one park is open during that time. The pools are heated so we swim at FW if we want and all of the resorts have heated pools. We don't go for the landscaping, we can see that at Callaway or anyplace for that matter! I recommend Jan. or Feb. and the kids will only miss 4 days if you go during MLK week! That's when we are going!!! Thanks for listening! God Bless!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Welcome :wave:
Thanksgiving is busy - but if you get the chance to go during a busy period then go for it - we've always gone during the Easter Holidays before and we still enjoy it

Upvote 0

Marijil

We have gone every Thxgiving since 2000, its a tradition....the festivities are great...we arrive the weekend before and stay till the weekend after...its cool because one night you go to bed and the next day u wake up and xmas decorations are all over....I have noticed that crowds have grown progressively since 9/11...in fact it used to be value season! Between the changing of season designations and the virtual elimination of AP discounts...its alot tougher to go now than ever before....but still worth it....

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If I had to chose I would put off the trip to the first 2 weeks of December. Thanksgiving is notoriously crowded. The resort rates will be a little better during the first part of December, the crowds are almost nonexistent (historically it is the slowest time of year) and all the Christmas festivities are in full swing. I know people have been reporting that the crowds weren't that bad but remember crowds hit a very low point after 9-11 and have been on the rise ever since. Chances are you are looking at much bigger crowds than even 2004. Either way WDW is a must see during the Thanksgiving to Christmas season.

Upvote 0

robynchic

to add to Master Yoda, this fiscal year has been Disney's largest attendance since 9/11. So I'm going to guess that yes, it will be busy.

If you're going to go, though, and plan to eat anywhere nice, book it now. ESPECIALLY for the Liberty Tree Tavern. It's one of the favorite locations (with characters) for families to eat for Thanksgiving. I know there are a few others, but I don't remember what they are. Does anyone else know?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Boards :D

Crowds thanksgiving arent too bad. We will be there again this year, and we are going to have a great time! I think crowds will be down a little bit because of gas prices...............

Hope you have a great time!

Upvote 0

Shellybelle

[If you're going to go, though, and plan to eat anywhere nice, book it now. ESPECIALLY for the Liberty Tree Tavern. It's one of the favorite locations (with characters) for families to eat for Thanksgiving. I know there are a few others, but I don't remember what they are. Does anyone else know?[/QUOTE]

We'll be there Thanksgiving. I couldn't get ressies at Liberty Tree but that doesn't mean there aren't cancellations so go ahead and give it a try. We got ressies at the Garden Grill. There's a list on allearsnet that has the Thanksgiving menus.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom