Should we do it? Show me your photos of Black Friday at Epcot!

Resort day at AKL or brave the crowds at Epcot?

• Resort Day at AKL

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Epcot level 9 crowds

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters

21stamps

Original Poster
In my normal nut job fashion I'm debating switching up the plans of my trip again, going back to the original of Epcot the day after Thanksgiving..instead of a resort day at AKL.

If you have any photos or stories of being at that park on that day, please share!!!!

seafoodbuffet

Honestly I've never noted that Black Friday was particularly different at the parks vs other days of that week. We've been doing thanksgiving week at WDW for a while now and if you're debating going to the parks, just go.

Now Christmas day at Magic Kingdom on the other hand, nothing will ever make MK feel crowded to me every again...

Schneewittchen

Just do it. Epcot needs your love. And it can't be any worse than Easter week when we normally go.

Make your ADRs right now, get your fastpasses all reserved at the 60 day mark, don't do anything silly like wait on line for Maelstrom-revisited and get to the park at rope drop. And the sun is over the yard arm at 11 am.

21stamps

Original Poster
Honestly I've never noted that Black Friday was particularly different at the parks vs other days of that week. We've been doing thanksgiving week at WDW for a while now and if you're debating going to the parks, just go.

Now Christmas day at Magic Kingdom on the other hand, nothing will ever make MK feel crowded to me every again...
Have you still been able to do everything that you wanted to accomplish? It's the first day of the Story Tellers and of Candlelight Processional, and I've read that the crowds are horrible..but that's why I'm asking for actual experience!
Just do it. Epcot needs your love. And it can't be any worse than Easter week when we normally go.

Make your ADRs right now, get your fastpasses all reserved at the 60 day mark, don't do anything silly like wait on line for Maelstrom-revisited and get to the park at rope drop. And the sun is over the yard arm at 11 am.
lol. If you were 6 which would you rather do? A crowded day at Epcot, or a semi relaxing yet still fun day at AKL? I don't trust myself to answer that so passing it off on strangers!

SaltyD

Have you still been able to do everything that you wanted to accomplish? It's the first day of the Story Tellers and of Candlelight Processional, and I've read that the crowds are horrible..but that's why I'm asking for actual experience!

lol. If you were 6 which would you rather do? A crowded day at Epcot, or a semi relaxing yet still fun day at AKL? I don't trust myself to answer that so passing it off on strangers!

If I was 6, I'd want to go wherever I could see characters, get ice cream, and have my parents buy me stuff!! A 6 year old may love all the Holidays around the World....I personally love Epcot and walking around enjoying all the countries. If you're not worried about using up a park pass, I say hit Epcot early, enjoy it until you're wiped out and then go enjoy AKL for the rest of the day. Enjoyable for kids AND adults!

seafoodbuffet

My personal experience is that it seems remarkably like any other day of that week. We did candlelight processional via the dining package which would be a good strategy if you don't want to wait in line.

i didn't find it challenging to do Soarin and test track both, but frozen wasn't a ride last year. If your goal is to ride all rides, I'd FP Frozen, rope drop test track and then walk over to Soarin. The third theater plus lower crowds this year have made wait times pretty reasonable. Plus Soarin's queue is completely indoors which makes the wait much more tolerable. Everything else you can either book/add a fast pass for pretty easily.

Finally, whether your group prefers AKL to the parks depends largely on your group. I kind of like to be at the parks but that's me. If you're going to do a resort day, may I suggest taking a bus to MK and riding the monorail around the MK resorts? They are all lovely that time of year and each has their own unique holiday "stuff".

21stamps

Original Poster
My personal experience is that it seems remarkably like any other day of that week. We did candlelight processional via the dining package which would be a good strategy if you don't want to wait in line.

i didn't find it challenging to do Soarin and test track both, but frozen wasn't a ride last year. If your goal is to ride all rides, I'd FP Frozen, rope drop test track and then walk over to Soarin. The third theater plus lower crowds this year have made wait times pretty reasonable. Plus Soarin's queue is completely indoors which makes the wait much more tolerable. Everything else you can either book/add a fast pass for pretty easily.

Finally, whether your group prefers AKL to the parks depends largely on your group. I kind of like to be at the parks but that's me. If you're going to do a resort day, may I suggest taking a bus to MK and riding the monorail around the MK resorts? They are all lovely that time of year and each has their own unique holiday "stuff".
Oh we are staying at the Contemporary in a theme park view room after the cruise. 12/3-12/7. That part of the trip is a complete surprise for him (will get his Star Wars magic band and a few other items contained in an "early" gift box that Santa left the night before).
We are having dinner at WL- which I am very excited to see! And we have a pirate cruise scheduled out of GF on the morning of our MVMCP day. The first day will be an 11am "breakfast" at Ohana, water sports (no pool), wilderness lodge and then Wishes from our room. Because of this, I'm avoiding the MK area on the pre cruise stay!
AKL is only 1 full day before the cruise, 2 (more like 1.5) nights. I had originally booked the Swan for those nights planning to do all day at Epcot with a short break. Switched to AKL when I got freaked out by the crowd reports.lol
You make it sound like Epcot may be doable though!!!
If I was 6, I'd want to go wherever I could see characters, get ice cream, and have my parents buy me stuff!! A 6 year old may love all the Holidays around the World....I personally love Epcot and walking around enjoying all the countries. If you're not worried about using up a park pass, I say hit Epcot early, enjoy it until you're wiped out and then go enjoy AKL for the rest of the day. Enjoyable for kids AND adults!
He would really love Holidays around the World, which is the main source of my dilemma. He also LOVED mission space, test track, and spaceship earth.
I thought we could hop to Epcot on our post cruise stay during our HS day. But with JTA, launch bay, Minnie's holiday dine, and a Star Wars dessert party (if it gets extended), I just don't see where we would have time. The park closes at 7 that night.

Last edited:

SaltyD

Oh we are staying at the Contemporary in a theme park view room after the cruise. 12/3-12/7. That part of the trip is a complete surprise for him (will get his Star Wars magic band and a few other items contained in an "early" gift box that Santa left the night before).
We are having dinner at WL- which I am very excited to see! And we have a pirate cruise scheduled out of GF on the morning of our MVMCP day. The first day will be an 11am "breakfast" at Ohana, water sports (no pool), wilderness lodge and then Wishes from our room. Because of this, I'm avoiding the MK area on the pre cruise stay!
AKL is only 1 full day before the cruise, 2 (more like 1.5) nights. I had originally booked the Swan for those nights planning to do all day at Epcot with a short break. Switched to AKL when I got freaked out by the crowd reports.lol
You make it sound like Epcot may be doable though!!!

He would really love Holidays around the World, which is the main source of my dilemma. He also LOVED mission space, test track, and spaceship earth.
I thought we could hop to Epcot on our post cruise stay during our HS day. But with JTA, launch bay, Minnie's holiday dine, and a Star Wars dessert party (if it gets extended), I just don't see where we would have time. The park closes at 7 that night.

Think about it this way.....a fun AKL day means pool, water play area, animals and eating most likely. An Epcot day means enjoying all the countries holiday traditions, and rides. The cruise will have pools, water play areas, maybe dolphins :) and lots of food. If it were my choice, I'd do Epcot and just start as early as you can :)

21stamps

Original Poster
Think about it this way.....a fun AKL day means pool, water play area, animals and eating most likely. An Epcot day means enjoying all the countries holiday traditions, and rides. The cruise will have pools, water play areas, maybe dolphins :) and lots of food. If it were my choice, I'd do Epcot and just start as early as you can :)
So, now the question is, after all of my debating about staying at AKL in the first place... Do I switch back to the Swan for convenience?lol

ninjaprincesst

In my normal nut job fashion I'm debating switching up the plans of my trip again, going back to the original of Epcot the day after Thanksgiving..instead of a resort day at AKL.

If you have any photos or stories of being at that park on that day, please share!!!!
We go at Thanksgiving every year, it; not that bad .

wdwfan22

Black Friday is just another day at Epcot. You will notice a slight increase in crowds as evening falls as its the first night of the holiday festivities but still quite manageable.

SaltyD

So, now the question is, after all of my debating about staying at AKL in the first place... Do I switch back to the Swan for convenience?lol

LOL! The Swan is definitely more convenient for Epcot, but honestly, nothing beats a Disney resort! And should you end up doing an AKL day/afternoon/evening, I bet your 6 year old will be happier at AKL ;)

21stamps

Original Poster
LOL! The Swan is definitely more convenient for Epcot, but honestly, nothing beats a Disney resort! And should you end up doing an AKL day/afternoon/evening, I bet your 6 year old will be happier at AKL ;)
We are only there one day. 2 nights, but the first one we will be arriving @ 2am

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'd go to Epcot. Level 9 crowds at Epcot just mean long lines for Spaceship Earth, Soarin', Test Track and Frozen.

Otherwise the rest of the park is as empty as usual. Because remember just about everything in World Showcase is a show or a film.. Ellen, Imagination, Circle of Life, Living with the Land, Mission: Space.... They'd all be fine. Just get your Fastpass+s for one of the very few worthy E ticekts at EPCOT.

Go to Epcot to try the foods and explore World Showcase. Look at all the details in each country. Actually experience the various films/circle visions. Take your time. Epcot is the best park to go to when all 4 parks have high crowds.

AndrewsJ

I love the Swan and Dolphin hotels. I have so many Starwood points that I practically stay for free but choosing between S&D and AKL wouldn't be a hard choice. AKL all the way even if for just a few hours rather than 1 full day is what I would normally say. I understand your dilemma though. If you will be spending all day at Epcot then the S&D would be perfect because you can just walk. Not having to fight traffic, parking, busses etc...
Very tough call.

21stamps

Original Poster
I love the Swan and Dolphin hotels. I have so many Starwood points that I practically stay for free but choosing between S&D and AKL wouldn't be a hard choice. AKL all the way even if for just a few hours rather than 1 full day is what I would normally say. I understand your dilemma though. If you will be spending all day at Epcot then the S&D would be perfect because you can just walk. Not having to fight traffic, parking, busses etc...
Very tough call.
Convenience is huge to me. Which is why I have never considered AKL and the only reason I chose it this time was because we wouldn't be going to the parks. So this would probably be our only chance to ever stay there.

If we do Epcot we would be taking a break, with level 9 crowds I would assume the buses would be crowded? Even if not, that's a large chunk of the day just to go to/from AKL and Epcot 4 times.

Last consideration- AKL is over $700 per night, 2 nights, 1 day. The Swan is $320 per night. I'm ok with the price if we are taking advantage of AKL....But-- Massive difference if we won't be utilizing the resort features and spending the bulk of the day at Epcot!

SaltyD

Convenience is huge to me. Which is why I have never considered AKL and the only reason I chose it this time was because we wouldn't be going to the parks. So this would probably be our only chance to ever stay there.

If we do Epcot we would be taking a break, with level 9 crowds I would assume the buses would be crowded? Even if not, that's a large chunk of the day just to go to/from AKL and Epcot 4 times.

Last consideration- AKL is over $700 per night, 2 nights, 1 day. The Swan is $320 per night. I'm ok with the price if we are taking advantage of AKL....But-- Massive difference if we won't be utilizing the resort features and spending the bulk of the day at Epcot!

Did you check to see if the Swan still has availability to move back over there? If they don't, decision made for you! But at that cost, yeah I think I'd go for the Swan and use some of that savings to eat and shop in Epcot!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom