Should we buy Disney Insurance to cover Vacation & Airfare ?

AMYROSE

My wife and I both will be 71 years old at the time of our Disney World Vacation 2020...We will be taking our two grandchildren ages 21 &19 with us on this December Christmas Vacation...My wife and I both have Health Issues, and take quiet a few Meds...My question is, would it be a safe situation to buy the Disney Insurance to cover Vacation and flights....This Disney Vacation and flights will cost thousands of dollars and Im a little worried something could go wrong at the last moment ! Any comments would be helpful....thanks, The Aucoins

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
My husband and I are in our mid-50s. Our parents are mid to late 80s. We have taken vacation insurance for the past two years in case something happens to them that would cause an interruption of any of our trips. You just can’t ever tell what might happen, and the cost of the insurance is no more than 10% of the cost of the trip.

Recently, my 87-yo dad went on a pilgrimage trip to Italy with his church. He hadn’t added the insurance when he booked, mostly because it wasn’t well explained. I talked him into taking travel insurance before he left. It was about $300, but for me, the peace of mind it offered on a $3500 trip, if he’d gotten sick or god forbid fallen over there, it would have taken care of everything including his return travel (because the group tour just keeps going, they won’t wait for anyone). I’m afraid that by insisting he buy it, he started his trip expecting the worst, but it was enormous comfort to both of us.

Hope that helped you get closer to a decision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

We always do. DW has health issues and even though weve never had to use it, its worth having it for peace of mind. You never know when or how things may occur and youre stuck without it. It is relatively cheap to cover yourself just in case. Weighing the dollars you will be spending against the dollars you may lose... Ive never in all my years had to collect on car or home insurance either but Id never be caught without it. With any insurance you are paying out with the hopes youll never need it but its great to have it if you do.

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

I agree with the others that travel insurance that covers cancellation, interruption and evacuation is a prudent measure; and even more so for seniors who may have medical issues. Whether to buy the insurance from Disney or someone else is a different matter. I would strongly recommend that you look at exactly what is covered by Disney's insurance, and especially what is NOT covered (exclusions). Compare that to insurance that you can get from other sources. There are places like insuremytrip.com or squaremouth that are brokers who can offer a variety of policies tailored to your needs. You may very well find you can get better coverage at a lower price.

Upvote 0

Rapunzel287

We will be taking our two grandchildren ages 21 &19 with us on this December Christmas Vacation...
Sorry, off-topic, but I have to comment this:
This is just wonderful ❤.
Those two trips to WDW that I’ve had with my grandparents were the best, we’ve had so much fun. Lots of very precious memories.
I hope the four of you will have the best Christmas vacation ever 🥰.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

It depends on your comfort level for something going wrong. If you are worried about anything impacting your trip, then you may want to indeed look into travel insurance. Compare Disney, as well as 3rd parties to compare cost and coverage levels. Keep in mind that if you are traveling in December, depending on where you are traveling from, or where your flights/planes are coming from, you may be impacted by snow someplace, that could delay your arrival/departure and travel insurance would usually help cover the costs from hotel stays or flight changes.

Upvote 0

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I agree with the others that travel insurance that covers cancellation, interruption and evacuation is a prudent measure; and even more so for seniors who may have medical issues. Whether to buy the insurance from Disney or someone else is a different matter. I would strongly recommend that you look at exactly what is covered by Disney's insurance, and especially what is NOT covered (exclusions). Compare that to insurance that you can get from other sources. There are places like insuremytrip.com or squaremouth that are brokers who can offer a variety of policies tailored to your needs. You may very well find you can get better coverage at a lower price.
If you buy trip insurance, I would not buy it through Disney. There are plenty of other, well know companies that are much more reasonably priced. AAA recommends Allianz Travel and we have used them. I would shop around.

Recommend the same. My travel agent prefers Allianz or Travelguard to Disney's insurance. I've used Allianz whenever we've bought insurance.

Upvote 0

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

All I can relate is our experience/Habit.

We are DVC owners (direct). 67.

Every use year, we buy Travelex Trip Insurance, via DVC. At about $90 per USE YEAR (not per trip), we find this to be a GREAT value.

Enclosing the basic synopsis of what this Insurance provides - less personal data:

Attachments

• Travelex.jpg
    Travelex.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0

Bronson55

Recommend the same. My travel agent prefers Allianz or Travelguard to Disney's insurance. I've used Allianz whenever we've bought insurance.
I agree. Pay particular notice to exclusions for existing conditions. They can be quite thorough looking for a reason to deny payment. Some good pointers to consider no matter whom you use.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom