Should the 2020 WDW Christmas Day parade mention the massive layoff situation?

Should the 2020 WDW Christmas Day parade mention the massive layoff situation?

• Yes, it will explain why these decisions must be made in times of uncertainty

• No, it's best to steer clear of that topic

Results are only viewable after voting.

Toodycat

No, people go to Disney to escape reality. I’m all for supporting laid off CMs with a GoFundMe or some other charity, but I’m watching a parade to be less depressed by our stark world. The best thing the company can do is highlight new attractions and safety precautions. If people feel safe and excited by the parks, they will come back and the laid off workers can be rehired.

NelleBelle

Only state that I know that still lives in ancient times where it is state law that the customer cannot pump their own gas is NJ.
Oregon also does not allow you to pump your gas. DH actually hates to fill up in OR and having someone pump his gas 🙄

EngineerMom

Every year Disney pre-tapes segments for its annual Christmas Day televised parade. This year however, things have been far from the norm. One of the biggest issues for the parks this year has been the sea of layoffs due to the global pandemic. As crazy as this sounds, would it be a wise decision for Disney to address this hot topic during the annual televised event on Christmas day to add some sense and comfort during these troubling times? Explain how things will rebound and jobs will return to the tourist destination once we are living in better days?
There are many families right now who are hesitant to travel as it is, but frustration over the massive layoffs adds anger to the uncertainty. A short segment during the Christmas program exposing some light into this darkness might give many viewers currently angered over the layoffs a feeling of hope to ride this storm out. Maybe have one of the celebrities who is scheduled to appear during the taping take a brief moment to share some love over the air and mention all the hard work the CMs do every day, explain how these things happen and will get better in time. Then join other celebrities or some of the company big wigs to send sympathy, wish everyone effected a Merry Christmas, and show them with their families celebrating at the parks as a sign that troubled days will pass. Also allot time to thank current CMs who are still working and share appreciation for all they do. Have them come onto screen and say "We are with you" or "See you real soon" to those who lost their jobs in hopes they will come back when the pandemic life has faded. Then show them celebrating Christmas at the parks as a sign of optimism. In hard times we need reminders that this is all temporary and life will improve hopefully sooner not later. There is no better day than Christmas to remind people that we will get through all this. What are your thoughts? Could this work if done correctly, or is it better avoided altogether?
You said "There are many families right now who are hesitant to travel as it is, but frustration over the massive layoffs adds anger to the uncertainty."

My family did not travel to Disney World this year due to COVID and flying (actually don't feel safe in the airport just like dining indoors vs the actual plane). I do not feel "anger" towards Disney due to the layoffs. It is sad and I feel for those people. I have been laid off and it is not fun. BUT Disney is a business. They originally furloughed their employees with health insurance when the pandemic hit but at some point they had to do layoffs when they couldn't just open back up. If there is no work for those cast members they can't just keep paying them. Again as I said I feel for those individuals but I am not "angry" with Disney and I know that boycotting them doesn't help the situation but would just mean MORE layoffs.

Epcotbob

I would say NO. Everyone knows the terrible situation at Disney caused by the extended shutdowns, it's not rocket science to understand why they were forced to layoff a massive amount of staff.

OG Runner

There are so many businesses that have gone out of business during this pandemic. (44% of small businesses in Massachusetts
have closed) So should we mention what a very large company needed to do to stay in business. Should Disney say they are
sorry to those they needed to lay off, or should those still working stand up and say thank you? This is obviously a very hard
time for businesses and employees or ex-employees to deal with. I really don't think bringing it up during a celebration would
help.

Cmdr_Crimson

If they don't showcase attractions of the park in these specials then why would they want to even do that when we have to hear Butchered Christmas song from Mediocre Disney Channel artists..
make-it-stop.gif

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Why would they do that? It’s not on-brand. It would distract from the giant informercial they prefer to present instead of an actual Christmas parade like in the Stone Age (aka. pre-Iger years). And it would take time away from the D-list “musicians” lip-syncing terrible renditions of Christmas songs and the EXCLUSIVE LOOKS at the NEW and UNIQUE things coming to Disney Parks© like Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure and the Tron Lightcycle coaster. Oh, and DVC and Adventures by Disney commercials, too. Can’t forget those.

Cmdr_Crimson

Why would they do that? It’s not on-brand. It would distract from the giant informercial they prefer to present instead of an actual Christmas parade like in the Stone Age (aka. pre-Iger years). And it would take time away from the D-list “musicians” lip-syncing terrible renditions of Christmas songs and the EXCLUSIVE LOOKS at the NEW and UNIQUE things coming to Disney Parks© like Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure and the Tron Lightcycle coaster. Oh, and DVC and Adventures by Disney commercials, too. Can’t forget those.
I don't recall seeing anything being shown about the parks in these specials anymore..All they do is butcher a Christmas song, show a smiglet of the parade, then hear about a family who couldn't go to Disney but, now they are wash, rinse and repeat for another hour..If they couldn't even show anything about Disneyland park during the 60th anniversary show the chances they show or even mention the 50th coming would be shocking..

Dog Ate Mouse

Disney should not mention the cutbacks at all. You see it is the Christmas parade. All of america is being affected negatively in one way or another with this pandemic. Christmas should be a pick me up spiritually and a time to reflect and appreciate all the good times that we had and lastly is an escape for an hour or two away from all the tough times. Now the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade is always on in my house. It is a time to sit down and relax and have a cup of coffee and fresh made Blueberry muffin. This years parade had no people along the streets happy and smiling and children of all ages amazed at the massive balloons. The parade was a ghost town and really started to get depressing for the 3 minutes we started watching. So we decided shut it off and watched Christmas Movies instead. We were happy after the movies and had a great Thanksgiving with our daughter and Son-in-law and our Grandson. Yes it was just the 5 of us this year at my table and no brothers and nieces. But we made the day fun and very relaxed and played games and were truly Thankful for being together and then enjoyed a feast that my darling wife and I made together.

Thanksgiving was different but in the end found something to be Thankful for and that was each other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom