Should society get rid of the handshake?

Should society get rid of the handshake?

• Yes

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • No

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

InnKpr

Absolutely get rid of it.

You can still display mutual respect and appreciation for one another without this method.
Let a smile, friendly wave, or most importantly, your words demonstrate professionalism and decency toward others... not this dated tradition of rubbing flesh with strangers.

Goofyernmost

And as fear moves us to eliminate yet another way of making innocent contact with other human beings. Ah, what the hell, that will just move us one step closer to mating with our i-Phones. So we have a virus once every 100 years or so, we should just all live in caves and come out only long enough to kill a mastodon or saber tooth tiger for super bowl snack food. S ex is going to get real complicated as well. Home of the brave is definitely past tense.

Lilofan

It's a whole different world outside the USA. Some countries greetings are kiss cheek to cheek by opposite sexes and also same sexes as a greeting.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
And as fear moves us to eliminate yet another way of making innocent contact with other human beings. Ah, what the hell, that will just move us one step closer to mating with our i-Phones. So we have a virus once every 100 years or so, we should just all live in caves and come out only long enough to kill a mastodon or saber tooth tiger for super bowl snack food. S ex is going to get real complicated as well. Home of the brave is definitely past tense.

Hey, keep you paws to yourself! :p

I think it might be difficult for many of us who have extended a handshake all our lives, to just suddenly not do it. But, at this point, it makes sense.

And just an fyi: long before COVID-19, during the "regular" flu season, our health officials and church clergy would tell us to not shake hands, so that affected people would not pass along flu germs to others. So there's that -- again, long before the current global crisis.

Goofyernmost

Hey, keep you paws to yourself! :p

I think it might be difficult for many of us who have extended a handshake all our lives, to just suddenly not do it. But, at this point, it makes sense.

And just an fyi: long before COVID-19, during the "regular" flu season, our health officials and church clergy would tell us to not shake hands, so that affected people would not pass along flu germs to others. So there's that -- again, long before the current global crisis.
At this point, I agree, but that isn't the question here. The question is should it be completely done away with and I think that puts us just a couple movements away from become droids ourselves. For the nano seconds in earthly time that this virus is going to survive to erase many centuries of physical human contact forever is overreaction at it's fullest. Handshakes are more then gestures they are measuring devices. They measure warmth, honesty and trust or in many cases the lack thereof. Human contact is necessary in our judgement process and never should be done away with simply because something happened one year. And even then it wasn't caused by a handshake. We have already given up so many of our rights that we will never get back due to the overreaction of people. Is it a matter of life and death on a constant basis or is it like water. It's very bad to stick your hand in when it is boiling, but when it is warm it is quite good. To use and old phrase, let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Thousands upon thousands of people have died due to guns, but we have not even tried to control that. Thousands and thousands of people have died in cars, but they are still allowed to be on the road. We, as a nation, have become more an more dependent on personal behavior laws and almost nothing when it comes to common sense.

G00fyDad

I refuse to shake people's hands anyway. I have been in too many public restrooms and watched guys leave the room without washing their hands. :grumpy::grumpy: No thanks!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If your sole reason is to avoid germs, then abstaining from a handshake is useless if someone is within six feet of you and talking at your face spraying invisible micro-droplets into the air with every breath they take and every vow they make, they'll be spraying you.

Additionally, if they have any infection on their hand, then it's also on the door, on the phone, on the pen, on the stapler, on the desk, and the chair's back and handrest, on the elevator buttons, etc... If you touch those, then your face, you've infected yourself.

If you have a cold and you go to work/school/gatherings and refuse to shakes hands to protect people 'from a cold,' then you better be wearing a mask and immediately spraying everything you touch with a disinfectant. You're not protecting anyone by not shaking their hands if you're sick and still near them. And you're not protecting yourself if you get within 6 feet of people to talk and go around willy-nilly touching all the normal things you're expected to touch... if you don't wash your hands before touching your face. The lack of handshake didn't protect you.

If there's one thing I hope COVID-19 taught us is that the enemy isn't the hand-shake. When the first pleas to social distancing started, people stopped shaking hands. Weeks later, it still spreads without handshakes.

InnKpr

In all seriousness, it doesn't come down to society's decision. It's up to YOU and you alone to do what's comfortable. If you're a hand-shaker... go for it. If you're not a fan of physical touch to display appreciation/agreement... there's no rule that says you have to accept an extended hand.

There are plenty of ways to reject a handshake offering without being rude or making it personal against the other individual. Smile and say you've been fighting a cold and don't want to risk getting the other person sick, but you certainly appreciate them, etc, etc. Make it about caring for them, rather than coming right out and saying "I don't want to touch you." Make sure to throw in a compliment or words of gratitude at the very end. "I can't shake right now because (whatever reason), but I sure had a great time discussing (whatever) with you, and look forward to meeting again..." Smiles and compliments go much further than the cliched handshake, as long as you're sincere.

So make it a personal decision, not society's decision. There's no law that states you have to touch anyone, and contrary to my "Absolutely, get rid of it" comment earlier on the matter, I really don't think there's a right or wrong answer.

Lilofan

It will be odd without a world without handshakes. Handshakes are used to make deals, make peace, greetings and goodbyes for all parts of society. First impressions, trust, negotiation, connections are all important in a firm but not weak handshake. Nodding with respect and looking the person directly in their eyes can be substituted but nothing is like a firm handshake especially in the business and political world.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom