Should I take a complimentary resort upgrade?

Jez

I noticed someone else was offered one of these yesterday.

I'm from the UK and have just been rung by my tour operator and offered an upgrdae for myself, wife & daughter, from a room At Caribbean Beach Resort to either Saratoga Springs or Old Key West.

so...

1) Should I take them up on the offer?

2) which one to go for (Saratoga seems nicer as you can walk to DTD and its newer)

3) We have a basic dining plan with only counter service and snacks, do the DVC resorts have the same sort of "food court" as places like Caribean Beach and Pop Century etc.

Any advice greatfully received
Jez.

dreamfinder

Depends on you. Slightly different environment at the DVC resorts.

2) which one to go for (Saratoga seems nicer as you can walk to DTD and its newer)
It is a bit newer, but they have been doing continuos renovations at OKW so some of those units are also nice.

3) We have a basic dining plan with only counter service and snacks, do the DVC resorts have the same sort of "food court" as places like Caribean Beach and Pop Century etc.

They do both have a counter service option available. OKW has only a single "window". So it's a limited menu, maybe 6-8 items available. Nothing like the values and mods that have 4 or 5 windows, one for pizza, one for sandwiches, etc. SS seems to be in the middle. I think 2 or 3 windows worth.

Upvote 0

drossjr

I noticed someone else was offered one of these yesterday.

I'm from the UK and have just been rung by my tour operator and offered an upgrdae for myself, wife & daughter, from a room At Caribbean Beach Resort to either Saratoga Springs or Old Key West.

so...

Any advice greatfully received
Jez.

If you were to take them up on the offer I would select Saratoga Springs, its a nice looking resort, as you mentioned newer and I have never heard good things about Old Key West.

I wonder if they are offering these upgrades in the hope to rope you into DVC membership at one of these resorts???? Seems strange :shrug:

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

I wonder if they are offering these upgrades in the hope to rope you into DVC membership at one of these resorts???? Seems strange :shrug:

I think it has more to do with slow DVC usage at those two resorts. Most people buy DVC to try to stay at one of the other resorts with OKW and SS usually falling to the bottom of the preference ladder. So using empty units may let them rebook the hotel rooms and make more money than if the DVC unit sat empty. They don't actively sell OKW memberships any more, but I'm sure they would be delighted if you enquired into it anyways.

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I would for sure take the upgrade. In fairness though I have a severely skewed outlook as I am a DVC owner at OKW and love it. It is a major step up in class.

Upvote 0

jobo

I think it has more to do with slow DVC usage at those two resorts. Most people buy DVC to try to stay at one of the other resorts with OKW and SS usually falling to the bottom of the preference ladder. So using empty units may let them rebook the hotel rooms and make more money than if the DVC unit sat empty. They don't actively sell OKW memberships any more, but I'm sure they would be delighted if you enquired into it anyways.

From my understanding (and that of a deluxe resorts manager) its due to over selling... apparently a lot of the values/ mods have been over sold through the end of the year so upgrades is the only option Disney have...

BTW long time reader just never poster :)

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

From my understanding (and that of a deluxe resorts manager) its due to over selling... apparently a lot of the values/ mods have been over sold through the end of the year so upgrades is the only option Disney have...

BTW long time reader just never poster :)

Yeah. That would do it also. Although I can't see how they honestly can overbook their hotels by that much. I don't see that many people flaking out on their trips. It's not like airlines.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

Deluxe over a mod...i'd take it. In choosing I don't think you can go wrong but I think I woukd choose SSR only because it is newer. OKW has bigger rooms, I think. LOOk at the maps and decide which is best for you and more kid friendly. But for 2 weeks i'd def. stay at the deluxe.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

Personally I would only choose SSR if I were planning to spend lots of time at DTD. OKW is a great resort. The rooms are bigger, the resort is quiet and cozy and you still get a great boat road to DTD as well. Not too mention your closer to most of the parks as well.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom