Should DisneyWorld Build a 5th park with more emphasis on thrill rides?

chinitopoop

Original Poster
personally i think it would make disney world complete... little kids already have rule over mk, its time for teens and adults to get their park.....its just a thought guys, dont be so quick to bash it, hopefully disney will take it into consideration and have that as ioa's proposed "harry potter land" competition:sohappy:

calicommando

For me, Disney isn't about thrill rides. (Don't get me wrong, I love them) But the reason I love Disney so much is because of the Magic of the atmosphere. If there was a park with the sound of roller coasters rushing overhead and the screams associated with those roller coasters it just wouldn't seem like Disney to me. I'm not saying it's a dumb idea, just unnecessary IMO.

kybred72

NO! Disney in my opinion is unique in that the parks are more about fantasy, fairytale, characters and being/acting like a kid.

If I want thrill rides, I'd take the hour trip to Cedar Point in Ohio.

WWallaceII

I see where you are coming from, as I really enjoy thrill rides - but I agree with calicommando in that Disney has an atmosphere that almost wouldn't suit a gaggle of screams from coasters!

Having said that, I can't wait to get back on the hulk in September :D

PigletIsMyCat

Disney Parks are not about thrill rides. It is about entering into a fantasy world where you can leave the real world behind. Disney is special for it's character interactions, attention to detail, and cool animatronics (yeti!). Walt wanted a place where he could take his daughters that would hold his interest, too, not just the local park swingset. That is where the idea for Disneyland came from: a magical place where we could all be kids again. The inclusion of a fifth gate exclusively geared toward an older crowd would go against the ideals and traditions of Disney.

majortom1981

hmm

IF disney really wants to do this they are better off buying an already established park.

PS I feel Great Adventure would be a perfect canidate for this . They have the land, The parks layout just needs tiny tweeking and with disney owning it it could work. Plus they have broadway shows i nnyc so they can market it at the theaters and have say bus trips to and from the park to the theaters.

I think disney would be better off buying an established park then building a brand new one.

WhyteAL

Yeah I think magic is what makes Disney. I would not be that intrested in a roller coaster type park. Plus I think that will take away from them. Maybe if they theme a land, but a whole park. :shrug:

chinitopoop

Original Poster
i dont know if some of you see what i'm trying to say, the last thing i want is for disney to make a theme park full of those ugly skeletal lookin coasters, i'm sure disney has more thrill rides up their sleeves and i'm interested to see where they can take it, i mean if they can take an ordinary freefall attraction and turn it into the great ride that tot is and make great themed thrill rides like btmr,splash,ee theres no telling what kind of rides they can really make with a park thats geard towards thrill rides, dont get me wrong i feel the disney characters are essential also and i'm pretty sure they can work them into the park very well, as well as carrying out a mix of thrill rides, kid friendly rides, and family oriented entertainment , but like i said do all that and keep the emphasis on the thrill rides and i think disney could make one successful park, they can blow ioa out of the water if they really wanted to, i'm sure of it

bgraham34

I can't see Disney making a thrill park at this time. I would not be surprised if it happened in 5-10 years, or maybe longer. I think that in order to keep younger people interested in Disney a thrill park will be needed in the future. Todays kids as they grow up are less tolerant of waiting for things and want more speed.

calicommando

i dont know if some of you see what i'm trying to say, the last thing i want is for disney to make a theme park full of those ugly skeletal lookin coasters, i'm sure disney has more thrill rides up their sleeves and i'm interested to see where they can take it, i mean if they can take an ordinary freefall attraction and turn it into the great ride that tot is and make great themed thrill rides like btmr,splash,ee theres no telling what kind of rides they can really make with a park thats geard towards thrill rides, dont get me wrong i feel the disney characters are essential also and i'm pretty sure they can work them into the park very well, as well as carrying out a mix of thrill rides, kid friendly rides, and family oriented entertainment , but like i said do all that and keep the emphasis on the thrill rides and i think disney could make one successful park, they can blow ioa out of the water if they really wanted to, i'm sure of it

I still think they already do a good job of mixing this type of attraction in with the already existing parks. If they were to make a "thrill ride" park and incorporate the characters, etc. into their thrill rides, that would alienate the small children from some of the characters because they aren't able to ride any of the rides in that particular park. KWIM? I'm all about them making more thrill rides and keeping them incorporated into the existing parks.

majortom1981

hmm

Chin Look at my suggestion. They could make GreatAdventure a Disney caliber park with whats already there.

The person who originally built great adventure had a disney type thing in mind. (i can show u the site with those plans if need be) .

IF disney updated the sections of the park how the golden kingdom section is done then it wouldnt be just skeleton looking coasters.

It wouldnt make sense to do this in wdw. The crowd who goes to Disney just wouldnt fit.

Champion

Chin Look at my suggestion. They could make GreatAdventure a Disney caliber park with whats already there.

Are you serious? Its a nice amusement park, good attractions, lots of attractions. But Disney caliber? Not even close.

The person who originally built great adventure had a disney type thing in mind. (i can show u the site with those plans if need be) .

What do you mean? Different lands? Spoke design? Thats amusement park 101, and nearly all of them follow that.

IF disney updated the sections of the park how the golden kingdom section is done then it wouldnt be just skeleton looking coasters.

What you're saying is that if Disney spent a ton of money to retheme the park, it would be nice enough to have the Disney name. You could apply that logic to every park in existence.

It wouldnt make sense to do this in wdw. The crowd who goes to Disney just wouldnt fit.

You're just plain wrong here. The thrill attractions at WDW are always well attended, its not like they have a bunch of coasters with 5 minute maximum waits. Look at Tower of Terror.

Your posts reek of "Great Adventure is near me, so Disney should buy it!", which is no different than the 50 million people who post about Disney buying land in Texas.

majortom1981

hmm

Yes but for what it would cost to make a 5th park for thrills it could end up being cheaper to buy great adventure.The bigger thrill rides are awfully expensive to build.

Great adventure has a water park, safari and a theme park in one plus it has the 2000 acres wich not even half is built on.Also disney wouldnt have to make it a multi day resort yet. Ga gets 3 million visitors a year with Six Flags bad customer service. Put disneys customer service in their alone and you can double the amount of visitors.

You obviosuly have a grudge against Six Flags wich blinds you to the posibilities this park has.

The layout of the park screams disney. IT has a central hub with the sections around it. They have the thrill rides that people here want. It has the safari (wich could be either made a full ride or another park like ak).

Plus you have all these wierd disney like stuff going on in the parks. Remember all the disney merchandise that was being sold across the parks?

I help run a popular Great Adventure site. I know what I am talking about when it comes to that park. Everybody knows that the only thing missing from Great Adventure is the customer service. Great Adventure has 3 major metropolitan areas to draw from.

If Disney was seriously thinking of building a thrill park they would seriously look at buying great adventure. All The data is there.

HEck Universal is constantly trying to buy Great Adventure from Six Flags. So if Universal sees the potential I would think Disney would too.

SANDKRUSER

Disney Steel

When we were there in 2000, we were taking with a Cast Member at AK who said that there were plans for a new park called "Disney Steel" that was going to be just coasters. The CM said that it would be started in the next year or so and completed by 2005 - he was really excited saying it was time for more thrill rides.

Well, as the years have gone by - nothing has come of it. I often wonder if it was just the CM's wishful thinking or if this actually was on the sketch boards and didn't come about because of 9/11. :veryconfu

Anyone else ever hear of this rumor?

As a sidenote, if they would ever create this, it would be okay if each attraction was themed as only Disney does so well.

WhyteAL

It would be cool, what I would want from IOA is license for Marvel Characters. I think Disney can make the characters look a lot cooler in there park than the cheesy PJ's they make them where at IOA. But it could work, if there was a market for it. What would be the theme of the park? Not just villian theme, I think. But the whole Marvel themed universe. Silver Surfer, Galactus, Spider-man, X-men, Huk, Avengers, F4. And maybe make it seem as though this is where disney characters come to play like there vacation away from visitors to Disney.

daverube

I've always thought that a thrill-ride park would complete the DW landscape. Although I agree that the MK is a fantasy escape and that the current parks place an emphasis on character interaction, I don't get the same feeling about the fantasy part when I go to Epcot, AK or DS....

Although there is a certain nostalgia that goes hand and hand with the Disney experience, at least for me, I don't believe that changes, upgrades or improvements necessarily lessen the nostalgia effect...

my 2 cents,

dave

Laura

Premium Member
I'm really not interested in a "thrill ride" park at Disney. There's Six Flags' all over the country and Islands of Adventure up the road for people who want thrills.

Though I'm a thrill seeker, I love the uniqueness and calmness of Disney World.

Champion

Yes but for what it would cost to make a 5th park for thrills it could end up being cheaper to buy great adventure.The bigger thrill rides are awfully expensive to build.

Great adventure has a water park, safari and a theme park in one plus it has the 2000 acres wich not even half is built on.Also disney wouldnt have to make it a multi day resort yet. Ga gets 3 million visitors a year with Six Flags bad customer service. Put disneys customer service in their alone and you can double the amount of visitors.

The water park is TERRIBLE, and the safari would be closed by Disney. Why would they run it when they have AK and want people to go there?

MaXXimus

I think the idea would be pretty cool... you could take a lot of the current rides and enhance them specifically for this new park. Example could be take ToT and instead of just 13 stories... make it 13 stories 13 times. I would be interested if this ever came to be. They could call it Extreme Disney World. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom