Should Disneyland have more soft openings for its new rides? - OCR/SCNG

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

>>Like the Harry Potter-themed Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure roller coaster that hard-opened at rival Universal Orlando earlier this year, Rise’s much-hyped debut came plagued with down times, as operators and maintenance crews tried to fine-tune the ride under the pressure of public operation. Soft opens can help get that test-and-adjust period out of the way before a ride officially debuts … and people plan their vacations to experience it.

There’s a trade-off here. A soft open tells fans that they might not be able to get on a ride that remains in testing. But once a soft open is finished and a ride opens officially, fans should be able to plan a visit with the confidence that downtime will be relatively rare. So why didn’t Disney and Universal schedule soft opens for these rides?

A park that wants to launch a new ride with an international media event needs to commit to an opening date far in advance, so reporters and influencers can make travel arrangements and parks can schedule advertising campaigns. But a park won’t get as much return on its investment for those events if the ride’s been all over social media for weeks during a soft opening. And a park misses out on advance bookings the longer it delays an official opening. That all creates an incentive for parks to keep soft opening periods as short as possible.

Design teams can make their best guess at when a ride will be ready to go, but once they commit to a date, there’s no good way to back out of that should they discover operational problems before launch. That can leave eager fans waiting out down times, as they have been for Rise and Hagrid’s.

I prefer the alternate approach that Six Flags Magic Mountain is taking with its new West Coast Racers roller coaster. Six Flags doesn’t do international media events like Disney and Universal, but it still needs to sell tickets. For West Coast Racers, Magic Mountain is rewarding its most loyal fans by scheduling a preview period exclusively for Six Flags membership and season pass holders, starting this weekend.

Since almost all of those fans are locals, this approach gives them the chance to be the first to ride, while allowing Six Flags a testing period before it opens the coaster to out-of-town fans. The preview also could help Six Flags upsell visitors without memberships into buying one, so that they can get on the ride that day, too.

As a reporter, I love being the first to experience a new attraction. But parks’ customers shouldn’t be left waiting for an inoperable ride that was supposed to be open. If it takes a soft opening period to prevent that, parks should make the hard choice to plan them.<<

By the way, here are the links to all Southern California News Group (SCNG) websites, the article should be found at all of them.

Phroobar

>>Like the Harry Potter-themed Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure roller coaster that hard-opened at rival Universal Orlando earlier this year, Rise’s much-hyped debut came plagued with down times, as operators and maintenance crews tried to fine-tune the ride under the pressure of public operation. Soft opens can help get that test-and-adjust period out of the way before a ride officially debuts … and people plan their vacations to experience it.

There’s a trade-off here. A soft open tells fans that they might not be able to get on a ride that remains in testing. But once a soft open is finished and a ride opens officially, fans should be able to plan a visit with the confidence that downtime will be relatively rare. So why didn’t Disney and Universal schedule soft opens for these rides?

A park that wants to launch a new ride with an international media event needs to commit to an opening date far in advance, so reporters and influencers can make travel arrangements and parks can schedule advertising campaigns. But a park won’t get as much return on its investment for those events if the ride’s been all over social media for weeks during a soft opening. And a park misses out on advance bookings the longer it delays an official opening. That all creates an incentive for parks to keep soft opening periods as short as possible.

Design teams can make their best guess at when a ride will be ready to go, but once they commit to a date, there’s no good way to back out of that should they discover operational problems before launch. That can leave eager fans waiting out down times, as they have been for Rise and Hagrid’s.

I prefer the alternate approach that Six Flags Magic Mountain is taking with its new West Coast Racers roller coaster. Six Flags doesn’t do international media events like Disney and Universal, but it still needs to sell tickets. For West Coast Racers, Magic Mountain is rewarding its most loyal fans by scheduling a preview period exclusively for Six Flags membership and season pass holders, starting this weekend.

Since almost all of those fans are locals, this approach gives them the chance to be the first to ride, while allowing Six Flags a testing period before it opens the coaster to out-of-town fans. The preview also could help Six Flags upsell visitors without memberships into buying one, so that they can get on the ride that day, too.

As a reporter, I love being the first to experience a new attraction. But parks’ customers shouldn’t be left waiting for an inoperable ride that was supposed to be open. If it takes a soft opening period to prevent that, parks should make the hard choice to plan them.<<

By the way, here are the links to all Southern California News Group (SCNG) websites, the article should be found at all of them.

I remember DCA held a AP only preview of the Tower of Terror before it officially opened. Disneyland did that for Winnie the Pooh too. Best of all it was a hard ticket free preview!

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I remember the opening of Xcelerator at Knott's.

It was pushed back twice, as the ride was not ready for the scheduled PR opening event.

On the third attempt, the ride was not yet signed off by CalDOSH. I was one of the folks scheduled to be on the opening train (sitting next to the General Contractor who assembled the ride). Knott's said they were going ahead and have the opener. So we were told that after the National Anthem was played, the train was going to be launched without riders, So please step behind the barriers.

Then, while the National Anthem was playing, we were told that the state approved single train operation (They weren't happy with the sensors that detected where the trains were on the track), so we scrambled into our assigned seats and got an awesome launch.

I agree with Robert Niles, and I have been involved in many different aspects, Being a Media Guest, an industry guest, an extra (rider for media filming), a production member doing the filming, and just a regular guest.

One day, I was a Media Reporter, an extra plus worked on the production crew (Tatsu Opening), that was one wild and crazy morning. I started around 3 AM that day.

But let the park guests test the ride to get the bugs out, so those who show up on opening day actually get to ride.

Now, with these events being more of a Movie Premiere event, well, expect more "hard" openings.

Mickeyboof

I wish this article also included Disney's use of cut elements like the stage shows or walk around characters at their opening events, or heavy use of one-time-only firework shots in their ABC special. Its blatant false advertising at this point.

Paying guests should come before the Media and Youtubers.

DanielBB8

Should there be more soft openings? This is an operational decision by Disney that they don't want guests to preview the attraction. So the alternative is more testing of the attraction by CMs. Disney is hampered by the complexity of the attraction. I don't see how they can avoid all these issues without real world testing of actual customers riding at regular park hours. Plus, they already know Galaxy's Edge is a failure without the better attraction. The smart thing was delay opening until Summer 2020. They didn't want to do that either. They didn't want to fix Rise of Skywalker either and I heard George Lucas was left off the guest list at the Premier. A Star Wars wrecking ball. Based on leaks, Batuu is not in Rise of Skywalker.

NateD1226

IMO, if Disney is going to a ticketed soft opening or event, the ride has to be special and exciting for all guests. Like did anyone even care for the Winnie the Pooh one?

disnyfan89

I didn't click the link and only read the quoted part of the article, but did he also mention the almost year long delay in getting west coast racers up and running despite advertising it as new for 2019 to the general public?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I didn't click the link and only read the quoted part of the article, but did he also mention the almost year long delay in getting west coast racers up and running despite advertising it as new for 2019 to the general public?
To be fair, it was scheduled for a mid-June opening. And he didn't really mention it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom