Should disney really change thier rides to not scare kids?

bigbadwolf

Original Poster
I believe some rides at all the theme parks at WDW have been changed to not scare some children. I believe it ruins the ride for other people like adults and older kids. 2 examples would be Bodywars and Startours, Bodywars used to have a part in ride where you got stuck in the brain and it shock crazy and Startours used tobe allot rougher. Do you think Disney should do this? I think it ruins it for everybody else. Alien Encounter which is closed for now, used to be darker and scarier. They ended up having the lights a bit brighter and sound not as intense. Disney puts warnings on all the rides before going on them, so why do parents have to complan because thier child burst out in tears. Its actually the parents fault, not the company. I enjoy the thrill of being scared, disney is losing its magic with thier scare factor. It used tobe great when it was the 90s and before that. At MGM's backlot tour, the water used to rush like a real flood, and the truck blowing up used to be loud as a real explosion. Its been toned down too much. Does anybody else agree with me? Ive seen a dramatic change from 1990 to 2003

General Grizz

Body Wars still has the brain section. . . it's not really scary... :veryconfu

The issue with AE was that the MK is the park in which guests are supposed to feel safe - all the time. Even in the Haunted Mansion, the ghosts are silly. This is where the trouble brewed up.

We'll see what Stitch brings. . . but the other parks, I think it should stay the same (unless they REPLACE a family attraction), but the Magic Kingdom is iffy.

bigbadwolf

Original Poster
Originally posted by grizzlyhall

Yes i know the ride has the BRAIN part, but in the brain you used to get STUCK in the web of electritcy for like a min. It was changed to useing the brain waves to send you back. The ride isnt as ruff as it used to. Also the lights would turn off, which was cool, but is scared kids.:cry:

BwanaBob

Originally posted by grizzlyhall

The issue with AE was that the MK is the park in which guests are supposed to feel safe - all the time. Even in the Haunted Mansion, the ghosts are silly. This is where the trouble brewed up.

We'll see what Stitch brings. . . but the other parks, I think it should stay the same (unless they REPLACE a family attraction), but the Magic Kingdom is iffy.

Grizz...I'll agree with you to a point.

So, what would you say to the "watering down" of Snow White?
Here's another long-timer that has withstanded the wrecking ball and it was changed 'cause kids were coming out crying?

...and I thought the train coming at you in Mr. Toad was scarry!

I don't think AE gave anybody the creeps any more than the bugs crawling under your butt at ITtbaB at AK. Plus
it's Disney!! Thats what I told myself the first time I went on AE. How "bad" could they possibly make it?

bigbadwolf

Original Poster
Originally posted by BwanaBob
Grizz...I'll agree with you to a point.

So, what would you say to the "watering down" of Snow White?
Here's another long-timer that has withstanded the wrecking ball and it was changed 'cause kids were coming out crying?

...and I thought the train coming at you in Mr. Toad was scarry!

I don't think AE gave anybody the creeps any more than the bugs crawling under your butt at ITtbaB at AK. Plus
it's Disney!! Thats what I told myself the first time I went on AE. How "bad" could they possibly make it?

See now you know how angry i am....:mad:

BwanaBob

You Know something???

I was just reading another thread about "changing" AE during the holidays with Santa hats and stuff....

...Here's an honest-to-god serious idea!...

We all know Disney does a great job in transforming the parks during the holidays...

...So why not make the HM and Snow White a little more scarier at Halloween??? It's temporary, and definately goes with the theming!

...GET ME A PHONE!...what's Eisner's # again?

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Originally posted by bigbadwolf
It was changed to useing the brain waves to send you back.

Are you sure this was changed? I remember riding this not long after it opened and you were sent back the same way as you are now.

I do know that they trimmed part of the time spent in the lungs, but this is the first I've heard of the brain segment being shortened.

ladydancer

I believe some rides at all the theme parks at WDW have been changed to not scare some childeren. I believe it ruins the ride for other people like adults and older kids. 2 examples would be Bodywars and Startours, Bodywars used to have a part in ride where you got stuck in the brain and it shock crazy and Startours used tobe ruffer in the ice comet part. This would make children cry and make parents complan. Do you think Disney should do this? I think it ruins it for everybody else. Alien Encounter which is closed for now, used to be darker and scarier. They ended up having the lights a bit brighter and sound not as intense. Disney puts warnings on all the rides before going on them, so why do parents have to complan because thier child burst out in tears. Its actually the parents fault, not the company. I enjoy the thrill of being scared, disney is losing its magic with thier scare factor. It used tobe great when it was the 90s and before that. At MGM's backlot tour, the water used to rush like a real flood, and the truck blowing up used to be loud as a real explosion. Its been toned down too much. Does anybody else agree with me? Ive seen a dramatic change from 1990 to 2003

I have to disagree with you. Not every adult likes scarey rides. I for one do not want to be scared. I just want an enjoyable ride. Don't get me wrong I like to be thrilled but not scared. I believe Disney had meant for the park to be for the "whole family" not just older kids and adults. If it were scary then it wouldn't be a family park. When you go to other parks there are the adult rides then there are the kid rides. You aren't sharing the experience. You aren't riding together. That is what I love about WDW both adults and children can ride together and share the experience of a family doing things together.

bigbadwolf

Original Poster
Re: Re: Should disney really change thier rides to not scare kids?

Originally posted by ladydancer
I have to disagree with you. Not every adult likes scarey rides. I for one do not want to be scared. I just want an enjoyable ride. Don't get me wrong I like to be thrilled but not scared. I believe Disney had meant for the park to be for the "whole family" not just older kids and adults. If it were scary then it wouldn't be a family park. When you go to other parks there are the adult rides then there are the kid rides. You aren't sharing the experience. You aren't riding together. That is what I love about WDW both adults and children can ride together and share the experience of a family doing things together.

I dont think you understood what i had said... Of course the park is meant for everybody:rolleyes: Im saying it seems little kids and complaning parents are taking away some of the fear from the rides... Or you could say EXCITEMENT... The rides are turning so dull like Its a small world. :eek:

Dinosaur 5 years from now-"Oh look another pretty thing to look at." :veryconfu "Oh and look over there, its a dinosaur chasing us.":eek: going like 5 miles per hour....:snore: Ride ends 15 mins later.... That was fun....:veryconfu

billybaruch1

Re: Re: Re: Should disney really change thier rides to not scare kids?

I dont think you understood what i had said...

I could be wrong, but I think ladydancer did understand what you wrote. It seems you want to be scared and feel fear ("excitement") when you experience an attraction at WDW. But you may not want to feel those emotions on a ride you see together with your young children. That's why they are family-oriented attractions. :lol:

Well put ladydancer, you hit the nail right on the head.

sillyspook13

Yes i know the ride has the BRAIN part, but in the brain you used to get STUCK in the web of electritcy for like a min. It was changed to useing the brain waves to send you back. The ride isnt as ruff as it used to. Also the lights would turn off, which was cool, but is scared kids.:cry:
Huh?:veryconfu The ride always ended like that...... The only part of that ride that was ever changed was in the lung. The lung sequence was much longer with a constant rocking motion from the "breathing". So many people were getting "seasick" from the rocking that most of it was cut. Next time you're on Body Wars, notice the almost sudden change from floating in the lung to seeing the doctor being attacked by the white blood cell.

BTW, does anybody else besides me think it's odd that when the blood cell is "stunned" it looks more like it's been vaporized or "beamed up"?:lol:

sillyspook13

Re: Re: Re: Should disney really change thier rides to not scare kids?

Or you could say EXCITEMENT... The rides are turning so dull like Its a small world. :eek:
I once heard about a couple that made their own excitement on It's a Small World.........:eek:

And Spaceship Earth was pretty exciting tonight when I rode with my man........:kiss:

Umm....... I'll stop now........

BwanaBob

I actually agree w/ bigbad...

Why would they change ANYTHING after over 20 years of success?

What suddenly caused someone at the parks to pull out a higher dose of detergent for the washing machine?

Think about it!

Would any of you out there catagorize Snow White in the same boat as AE?

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Well I would fall into the category of "family oriented" rides. I know that there is a certain thrill for us adults when it's a little on the scary or exciting side, but when you have kids, it is different.

We took my 7 year old in January, and there were certain rides that I knew she would be frightened on, so we simply didn't ride those with her. It's a small price to pay for all the joy that children bring to all of us. I understand the frustration of the younger crowd of today, wanting more "thrills" , but let's remember that this was always intended to be a family oriented theme park. Some will not like that comment, but I believe it to be the truth of what Mr. Disney intended from the start.

My Wife and I love the park as is, and wouldn't make any changes to make rides more intense or "scarier".

Maybe we're in the minority here, but I think if Disney starts to make those type of changes, it would be a mistake and would just seem like they were following suit with parks like Universal, etc.

ladydancer

Re: Re: Re: Re: Should disney really change thier rides to not scare kids?

Originally posted by billybaruch1
I could be wrong, but I think ladydancer did understand what you wrote. It seems you want to be scared and feel fear ("excitement") when you experience an attraction at WDW. But you may not want to feel those emotions on a ride you see together with your young children. That's why they are family-oriented attractions. :lol:

Well put ladydancer, you hit the nail right on the head.

Thanks billybaruch1,
Yes, I did understand.

Also I feel like Pumbas Nakasak. If I want to be scared I can pull out my tax return too. My point is there is so much stuff in everyday life that is scary to me or upsetting I don't want to go to an amusement park and be scared. I don't watch scary movies, thrillers, ect. I just don't want to be scared. I'm sure I am in the minority. I think it has become the norm to be scared from rides, movies, tv ect. So much so, people are jaded by it and want more. This is just how I feel.

I still maintain Mr. Disney wanted a "family park". There are lots of other parks you can get the heck scared out of you.

Lee

Adventurer
My 2 cents:

Fantasyland should be the area where everyone from infants to adults can enjoy every attraction, without having to deal with anything too thrilling.

The rest of the park....fair game. Put in something for everyone.
The ideal is a probably a blend of mostly family rides and a few thrilling attractions.

Alien Encounter should have never been changed, especially if the reason was that it frightened kids. It was never meant for kids, and they shouldn't have been on it. Now there is one less attraction for those of us who like a few thrills in the MK.

And I absolutely reject the idea that Walt ever intended for every ride in his parks to be suitable for all ages. The is no evidence for that at all. I was him, after all, that gave us Matterhorn (thrilling, with a height requirement) and the concept for Space Mountain.

tori_614

Disney has the hardest job in the world of making a "family" amusement park, that needs to be attractive to all members of the "family". While I don't personally want to go to Disney to be scared, Disney does need to find a balance in ride development. They have a responsibility to make rides that appeal to young famillies as well as famillies with older children. Perhaps Disney would not need to "tune down" rides if parents would follow the posted warning and not take their children on rides they know they cannot handle. A comment was made that Disney changes their rides because of complaining parents, well have you made a complaint with Disney for changing the ride? I think generally Disney does a great job at finding a balance.

SpongeScott

Re: Re: Re: Re: Should disney really change thier rides to not scare kids?

Originally posted by sillyspook13
I once heard about a couple that made their own excitement on It's a Small World.........:eek:

And Spaceship Earth was pretty exciting tonight when I rode with my man........:kiss:

Umm....... I'll stop now........
And I hope you followed your own advice and practiced safe snacking on SE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom