Votes: 74 31.0%
  • Only the EPCOT Monorail line

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Are you out of your mind??

Votes: 150 62.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

hey-you-we-dont-take-kindly-to-people-saying-they-would-like-to-get-rid-of-the-monorail.jpg
now skeeter he's not hurting anyone

mergatroid

Although you can still ride in the front of it at DL... Not sure why they think WDW can't have it too... remember they didn't close Mission Space or RocknRoll Roller coaster after people died on those.

True but I don't think they were impaled and crushed to death, I believe an existing health condition combined with the ride motion killed them rather than a crash. There's been deaths on several Disney attractions that are still open and that I'll happily admit, some through collisions. I imagine however that closing those rides would cause a huge money loss to Disney, whereas stopping people sitting upfront in the monorail doesn't. Why take the chance withe the monorail when there's no financial gain in doing so.

Last edited:

Bartledvd

Only used the monorail from epcot to ttc and on to magic kingdom once and will never bother again it was so slow and really hot.
Doubt it will ever get removed but would love a quicker more efficient transport system to replace it.

thomas998

Only used the monorail from epcot to ttc and on to magic kingdom once and will never bother again it was so slow and really hot.
Doubt it will ever get removed but would love a quicker more efficient transport system to replace it.
Well the trip is a little over 3.25 miles and only takes about 15 minutes which isn't that bad when you consider the need to unload and load at each end of the trip. If they were to replace it with gondolas as some have suggested the trip would be longer. Not sure a bus is any quicker given the bus will have traffic lights along the way.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Although you can still ride in the front of it at DL... Not sure why they think WDW can't have it too... remember they didn't close Mission Space or RocknRoll Roller coaster after people died on those.
Very apples and oranges situation.

The deaths on the attractions you mentioned were all due to pre existing health conditions.

The death on the monorail collision was directly related to the way the monorail was being operated. Disney was incredibly lucky that only the pilot was in the cab at the time.

correcaminos

Um no. Not at this point at least. Plus not sure why you singled out the Epcot line. That one seems far more reliable than the resort line.

mergatroid

And how do you know this? I’m not saying it will happen but we don’t know that it will never comeback back.

I'm going off what a CM told me, that's all. Apparently the lawyers decided had there been a passenger in there when it crashed that they would be sued for millions, therefor stop doing it as it's just a gesture doing it and not a money maker.

I'm sorry if that changes in the future, but feel good in the fact that if it does that you can bump my post and I'll happily admit that my source was wrong. To be honest when they told me I didn't ask them "Are you sure that in 38 years it won't have changed", I just took them at their word and moved on. I also have no proof that they didn't make it up, though as they're a friend of my dads and said if 'off duty' I have no reason to doubt them.

Just trying to share what I was told (be it right or wrong), not sure what else I can add?

thomas998

Very apples and oranges situation.

The deaths on the attractions you mentioned were all due to pre existing health conditions.

The death on the monorail collision was directly related to the way the monorail was being operated. Disney was incredibly lucky that only the pilot was in the cab at the time.

Well if you want to stick with pure deaths from the attractions then you need to look at Big Thunder Railroad which derailed injuring 10 and killing one person, so much worse than the Monorail and yet they didn't close the attraction. Then of course there was the parade where a cast member dressed as Pluto go his foot stuck under a float and then crushed, but they haven't stopped having cast members dress and and walk along with the parades.

The monorail accident could have easily been prevent if Disney had simply installed cameras in the back of the monorails so a driver going in reverse could see what was behind... The only reason Disney banned the riders was to imply that the drivers needed their undivided attention to driving so they could imply that the accident was caused by an inattentive driver when in fact it was caused by someone in the control room giving bad information to the driver of the monorail and Disney's decision not to install a camera in the back of the monorails so a driver could see where they were going when reversing the train. The driver that hit the other monorail was driving blind and depending on the guy in the control room to tell him if the track was clear so it really is a very much one off event... compare that to cast members walking around the parades in costumes.

mergatroid

Well if you want to stick with pure deaths from the attractions then you need to look at Big Thunder Railroad which derailed injuring 10 and killing one person, so much worse than the Monorail and yet they didn't close the attraction. Then of course there was the parade where a cast member dressed as Pluto go his foot stuck under a float and then crushed, but they haven't stopped having cast members dress and and walk along with the parades.

The monorail accident could have easily been prevent if Disney had simply installed cameras in the back of the monorails so a driver going in reverse could see what was behind... The only reason Disney banned the riders was to imply that the drivers needed their undivided attention to driving so they could imply that the accident was caused by an inattentive driver when in fact it was caused by someone in the control room giving bad information to the driver of the monorail and Disney's decision not to install a camera in the back of the monorails so a driver could see where they were going when reversing the train. The driver that hit the other monorail was driving blind and depending on the guy in the control room to tell him if the track was clear so it really is a very much one off event... compare that to cast members walking around the parades in costumes.

To be fair though there is a difference. Most don't know about riding up front in the monorail, it's not something that makes many go to the parks. Thunder and the parade do and if both were closed it would hurt Disney financially, so from a selfish point of view I can see why they did it.

Most accidents can be avoided and as you say, the monorail one probably could too.

Astro_Digital

The idea of a mobile DVC resort was a joke but what would work is if WDW converted some trains to mobile dining trains.
Anybody listening WDW, I would pay $100 per head for this type of dining experience. Maybe stop the trains for the fireworks give everybody a wonderful view.

The monorail I do not believe is practical but It is an important symbol for WDW and I believe if we are around for the 100th anniversary of WDW they will still have the Monorail lines... new trains... not sure what the life time of the rails are but they can no sooner remove the monorails that they could remove Cinderella's Castle or Space Ship Earth.

thomas998

I'm going off what a CM told me, that's all. Apparently the lawyers decided had there been a passenger in there when it crashed that they would be sued for millions, therefor stop doing it as it's just a gesture doing it and not a money maker.

I'm sorry if that changes in the future, but feel good in the fact that if it does that you can bump my post and I'll happily admit that my source was wrong. To be honest when they told me I didn't ask them "Are you sure that in 38 years it won't have changed", I just took them at their word and moved on. I also have no proof that they didn't make it up, though as they're a friend of my dads and said if 'off duty' I have no reason to doubt them.

Just trying to share what I was told (be it right or wrong), not sure what else I can add?
Of course in the end the only people that will know what their plans long term are will be working in corporate and not in the parks. I have no doubt about what you said, it makes sense that some lawyer would be all over that after the crash... the only thing that I can't understand is why they didn't ban all front rides in all the monorails throughout Disney. I would think that DL is probably more unsafe than WDW's monorails because as far as I know DL doesn't have the same automated safety measures in them and rely more on the actual drivers to actually drive them. And the only reason they crashed at WDW was that they were doing a manual override and running one of them backwards which scream human error when you had one going down the wrong track.

mergatroid

Of course in the end the only people that will know what their plans long term are will be working in corporate and not in the parks. I have no doubt about what you said, it makes sense that some lawyer would be all over that after the crash... the only thing that I can't understand is why they didn't ban all front rides in all the monorails throughout Disney. I would think that DL is probably more unsafe than WDW's monorails because as far as I know DL doesn't have the same automated safety measures in them and rely more on the actual drivers to actually drive them. And the only reason they crashed at WDW was that they were doing a manual override and running one of them backwards which scream human error when you had one going down the wrong track.

Good question but to be honest I don't know much about DL at all. Do they have more than one track like in Orlando or not? If not perhaps they don't see a scenario like Orlando's happening, but that's just a stab in the dark on my part?

I'm sure somebody on here will have a definitive answer though ............................ ANYONE?

ninjaprincesst

not only is the monorail iconic, there is no way that the gondola system can not move anywhere near the number of people that the monorail can, and unless I'm missing something the gondolas are not handicap accessible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom