Trip Report Shortest Retirement in History?

Justin Bieber lasted 2 weeks.

Tom Brady lasted 40 days.

I, Tuvalu, outlasted them both. Not by much, mind you. Yet if not for the encouragement of some forum friends - along with some unusual circumstances - you wouldn’t be reading this.

Unusual circumstances, you say?

Around Thanksgiving my beloved Woody learned his presence was required at a work conference. In Orlando. At Universal.
Just down the road from Walt Disney World.

Woody said I could accompany him if he drove (rather than flew) to Florida. And that we could leave a couple days early and have some Disney time together.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

I’d be on my own during the conference. Since the majority of Universal’s attractions don’t appeal to me, it didn’t make sense for me to buy Uni tickets when I could visit WDW for free with my AP. Being solo, I thought it might be fun to do a live trip report so y’all could be my virtual companions!

Turns out I won’t be alone while Woody is occupied after all. Some friends that you have seen in my previous TRs (and one you haven’t) have offered to play with me. I can’t wait!

IMG_0404.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Highlights from June

Who:
Tuvalu and Em
When: June 9-15, 2024
Where: Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Why: School’s out for summer

There was heat.
There was rain.
There was success.
There was failure.
There was activity.
There was rest.

There was - whatever this is.

IMG_3357.jpeg

Ah yes, I remember. But you’ll have to keep reading to find out.

pkkurz

Highlights from June

Who:
Tuvalu and Em

There was heat.
There was rain.
There was success.
There was failure.
There was activity.
There was rest.

There was - whatever this
IMG_0567.jpeg

Songbird76

Highlights from June

Who:
Tuvalu and Em

There was heat.
There was rain.
There was success.
There was failure.
There was activity.
There was rest.

There was - whatever this is.

View attachment 793330

It looks like a floor. But I'm sure you have a reason for taking a picture of a floor. I'll be curious to know what that reason is.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, June 9

Since we were traveling on a Sunday our usual Chick Fil A breakfast stop was a no go. Not to worry - only a bit further down the interstate delicious brisket and egg tacos awaited us.

We love Buc-ee’s. Cheap fuel, pristine restrooms (with no waiting), lots of yummy food and beverage options, gifts, souvenirs and quick check out. You can spend as much time or as little time as you wish. Buc-ee’s satisfies all.

Em and I like to get to WDW asap and try to keep our stops asap (as short as possible.) We may have set a Buc-ee’s record today - fueled, 3 minutes in and out of the store, ate our tacos while parked and were back on the interstate in under 15 minutes.

Smooth travel all the way and we arrived at WL at 1:15 pm. Our room wasn’t ready so we went to Roaring Fork for drinks and a snack. All the tables inside were occupied so we sat on the patio - in the heat.

IMG_3352.jpeg

We received our room text within the hour. The no-personality college program CM who had “assisted” us at the Front Desk alluded to the fact that our room was being prepared so we wanted to hang nearby.

Em’s snap to Woody upon entering the room.

IMG_3358.jpeg

I’d booked a water view king. We like having the desk and comfy chair (with an ottoman) that the two queens room doesn’t have.

IMG_3356.jpeg

We also prefer the stall shower over the tub/shower combo.

IMG_3355.jpeg

Our room was on the 3rd floor and I must confess my initial disappointment that we weren’t on a higher floor. However by the next day I discovered I actually preferred this height for our room category and wouldn’t hesitate to request it in the future.

We enjoyed watching people come and go from the boat launch, especially in unexpected rain. :angelic:

IMG_3354.jpeg

Also amusing was watching the people approaching the boardwalk who veered to the left (instead of straight) and found themselves at the ground floor entry door to the lodge rather than the dock.

Common sense isn’t so common anymore. If you think I’m exaggerating, I encountered a family inside by the elevators who had entered via that door and were wondering what floor # to push for the boat dock!

We had a nice view of the feature pool and were far enough away from the speakers that we could not hear the pool games.

IMG_3353.jpeg

And @Songbird76 you are correct - that is a picture of our room floor. Unfortunately the lens did not capture the small puddles of bleach (there were several throughout the room) which remained after the housekeeper had left.

Two positive takeaways:

1. Our room had been thoroughly disinfected.

2. The smell of bleach is much preferable to the smell of stale perfume. (Some of you may remember our mysterious “smelly” Copper Creek studio from two summers ago. 😉)

A towel took care of the remaining bleach before we left for the park.

lindawdw

Y A Y Yes GIF by Djemilah Birnie
I was so happy to see that you started your Trip Report today!!! Love when your drive to WDW goes without any incidences! I would have been disappointed with the lower room water view also but it sounds like you were very entertained during your stay!!!:joyfull:

93boomer

Premium Member
Sunday, June 9

Since we were traveling on a Sunday our usual Chick Fil A breakfast stop was a no go. Not to worry - only a bit further down the interstate delicious brisket and egg tacos awaited us.

We love Buc-ee’s. Cheap fuel, pristine restrooms (with no waiting), lots of yummy food and beverage options, gifts, souvenirs and quick check out. You can spend as much time or as little time as you wish. Buc-ee’s satisfies all.

Em and I like to get to WDW asap and try to keep our stops asap (as short as possible.) We may have set a Buc-ee’s record today - fueled, 3 minutes in and out of the store, ate our tacos while parked and were back on the interstate in under 15 minutes.

Smooth travel all the way and we arrived at WL at 1:15 pm. Our room wasn’t ready so we went to Roaring Fork for drinks and a snack. All the tables inside were occupied so we sat on the patio - in the heat.

View attachment 793426

We received our room text within the hour. The no-personality college program CM who had “assisted” us at the Front Desk alluded to the fact that our room was being prepared so we wanted to hang nearby.

Em’s snap to Woody upon entering the room.

View attachment 793431

I’d booked a water view king. We like having the desk and comfy chair (with an ottoman) that the two queens room doesn’t have.

View attachment 793430

We also prefer the stall shower over the tub/shower combo.

View attachment 793429

Our room was on the 3rd floor and I must confess my initial disappointment that we weren’t on a higher floor. However by the next day I discovered I actually preferred this height for our room category and wouldn’t hesitate to request it in the future.

We enjoyed watching people come and go from the boat launch, especially in unexpected rain. :angelic:

View attachment 793428

Also amusing was watching the people approaching the boardwalk who veered to the left (instead of straight) and found themselves at the ground floor entry door to the lodge rather than the dock.

Common sense isn’t so common anymore. If you think I’m exaggerating, I encountered a family inside by the elevators who had entered via that door and were wondering what floor # to push for the boat dock!

We had a nice view of the feature pool and were far enough away from the speakers that we could not hear the pool games.

View attachment 793427

And @Songbird76 you are correct - that is a picture of our room floor. Unfortunately the lens did not capture the small puddles of bleach (there were several throughout the room) which remained after the housekeeper had left.

Two positive takeaways:

1. Our room had been thoroughly disinfected.

2. The smell of bleach is much preferable to the smell of stale perfume. (Some of you may remember our mysterious “smelly” Copper Creek studio from two summers ago. 😉)

A towel took care of the remaining bleach before we left for the park.
You need to be a Buc-ee’s spokesperson now! 😆
Nice room and view. I wish all rooms had the open showers!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom