News Shop Disney is now Disney Store

mightynine

Why, though? For whom and what purpose?

It's not a merch drop; it's a few sweaters that have to be custom ordered and printed (they may well receive zero orders). I suspect the only reason @Brian even knew about them (and he can correct me if I'm wrong) is that he searched the website for "Disney Store" in response to my post. There is no fanfare about Disney Store-branded merch anywhere on the website. Go and see for yourself.
For your first question, why does any company rebrand? And when they themselves put out a reference to a new logo when announcing the change, I l don’t think it’s unusual to think it might be something new and not reverting to the old logo.

Again, I’m approaching that from a design viewpoint first. Not sure why I have to convince you of my feelings on this, and frankly, I’m not going to after this.

As for your second point, I typically go straight to disneystore.com/new to see if there’s anything interesting and that’s where I saw the Disney Store branded stuff. I used the term merch drop because, well, what else is it?

LittleBuford

For your first question, why does any company rebrand?
There is no single reason; it's a case-by-case thing. As others have noted, in this instance, it's probably because the demise of brick-and-mortar Disney Stores made the name available for the website, and since "Disney Store" has a certain cultural cachet that "shopDisney" never managed to acquire, they decided to use it again. It's not exactly an original move, but neither do I understand why anyone would be bothered by it.

Not sure why I have to convince you of my feelings on this
You don't! I believe that you feel as you've described, and I have no desire to change your mind.

I used the term merch drop because, well, what else is it?
Most people associate the term with a certain amount of marketing and fanfare. The website has literally thousands of items, most of which silently appear and have to be found within their distinct categories (toys, homewares, etc.). I wouldn't describe all of those items as "dropped"; for me, that term only applies when the website makes a big song and dance about a new product or range.

Cmdr_Crimson

IMO the Shop Disney Parks app was bliss at least you could find out where a shirt in your size could be found in the parks and not be disappointed to find nothing but small and medium shirts.

donaldtoo

On a related note…
The local mall Disney Store I was once a CM at has been closed for about 8 years now.
I just Googled the Disney Store outlet about 20 mins. away, and it’s now permanently closed. I had no idea.
The next closest brick and mortar Disney Store location to us is at the outlet mall in San Marcos, Texas, about 1.5 hrs. south of here.
I remember when the local mall store opened in ‘93. They carried nice watches, animation cells, etc.
Good times…!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom