News Shop Disney is now Disney Store

JohnD

Original Poster
Why would they do this? Branding purposes?
I remember reading it somewhere. I think it was because they phased out the actual box Disney Stores so to eliminate any confusion the online site became "Shop Disney". Now that sufficient time has passed and there are no more box stores, they feel comfortable changing the branding back to "Disney Store". Whatever.

Vegas Disney Fan

Wish they’d just bring the brick and mortar stores back, I miss getting a little Disney fix between trips.

I’m surprised Disney hasn’t missed the hundreds of dollars I used to spend on those little trips. Disney stuff just doesn’t appeal to me on a website like it does in person, it was pretty rare for me to visit the store and leave empty handed, it’s equally as rare for me to actually buy something after looking at the website. Maybe I’m the exception but the loss of the stores has probable resulted in a 90% decrease in my merch spending.

JohnD

Original Poster

Disney-owned shops, ecommerce, shop-in-shops and outlets are coming under one brand name: Disney Store.

This will be the official shopping destination where you can shop the stories you love from across our brands. Retail locations, including but not limited to World of Disney and others within Disney Parks will remain directly affiliated with the Park location where they reside.

This is a global transition and we will be making changes over the coming weeks and months. We will have a new logo, and an updated look and feel on our website and across social media platforms, including new imagery, videos, and stories. Over time you will also see new packaging for purchases and delivery.

Indy_UK

Much prefer the Disney store name but again, how much money has been wasted with the constant changes.

I’m not sure how the Target shop in shop thing Chapek started is going but they still really need to do a similar thing here in the UK. An online only experience is poor and even when you do spend loads for a trip to the parks, it’s the same tatty merch

LittleBuford

Just went back to the last Disney Store logo and everything. Whoop-de-doo.

I'm more interested in who they think is rushing to buy Disney Store branded merch.
It’s not branded as anything but Disney, though. None of the merch referred to shopDisney, and I doubt it’ll refer to Disney Store going forward.

I’m not sure why people are grumbling about the name change. Why is it a bad thing?

Brian

It’s not branded as anything but Disney, though. None of the merch referred to shopDisney, and I doubt it’ll refer to Disney Store going forward.

I’m not sure why people are grumbling about the name change. Why is it a bad thing?
There is merch with the Disney Store branding on it, which is what I believe OP was skeptical of the targeted demographic for.

disney store.png

LittleBuford

There is merch with the Disney Store branding on it, which is what I believe OP was skeptical of the targeted demographic for.

View attachment 768914
Fair enough. I suppose they’re trying to cash in on the cachet of the name, which shopDisney obviously never acquired. I still don’t see the harm in it. If enough people are into such branding, they’ll produce and sell more Disney Store merch. And if (as I suspect) not much of this stuff sells, then that’ll be an end to it.

I suppose I’m just confused as to why the name change (or reversion) is proving unpopular here. Can you provide some insight?

LittleBuford

My last big shopDisney purchase—at a heavily discounted price—was this amazing light-up Ursula figure:

Yes, a lot of the stuff on there is generic and easily skipped, but you can still find some really cool and distinctive items.

mightynine

I suppose I’m just confused as to why the name change (or reversion) is proving unpopular here. Can you provide some insight?
Well for me, I didn’t say I didn’t like it. I figured they might have a little more rebranding effort than just going back to the previous logo, but that’s the “I cruise Logopedia and Brand New for fun” side of me.

The idea of a merch drop seemed a bit silly, but I probably don’t have much room to talk when I was tempted recently by a 7-Eleven/Pac-Man one. When they went on sale, of course.

LittleBuford

I figured they might have a little more rebranding effort than just going back to the previous logo
Why, though? For whom and what purpose?

The idea of a merch drop seemed a bit silly
It's not a merch drop; it's a few sweaters that have to be custom ordered and printed (they may well receive zero orders). I suspect the only reason @Brian even knew about them (and he can correct me if I'm wrong) is that he searched the website for "Disney Store" in response to my post. There is no fanfare about Disney Store-branded merch anywhere on the website. Go and see for yourself.

Brian

Why, though? For whom and what purpose?

It's not a merch drop; it's a few sweaters that have to be custom ordered and printed (they may well receive zero orders). I suspect the only reason @Brian even knew about them (and he can correct me if I'm wrong) is that he searched the website for "Disney Store" in response to my post. There is no fanfare about Disney Store-branded merch anywhere on the website. Go and see for yourself.
I did search "Disney Store" on the website in response to your post, but only to get images of the apparel which I had previously heard about from another Disney fan website.

Again though, it is rather silly for anyone to get their knickers in a twist over a minor rebranding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom